What do you look for in a fanfic? (Rant, be warned)

What do you look for in a fanfic? (Rant, be warned)

Postby TheBlackCatCrossing » April 10th, 2013, 7:14 am

I enjoy writing fic is because I like letting the creative muscles flex. I like exploring possibilities, ideas etc. I use this as practice for 'real' writing. Hopefully one day. Anywho, I first started writing fic when I was a teen and since that time my tastes have changed. I still enjoy the rare crack fic but I have um, certain criteria. I like stories that challenge me and take me out of my comfort zone. I really admire writers that can take a concept and twist it.

For instance, GeminiGemelo wrote a fic where Mufasa was bad and Scar was good, well as "good" as his character could possibly be. I thought 'DAMN! That was brilliant'. Another story I read featured Scar and cub Nala. I see too many fics where Scar and Nala stories always have this pedophile/rape theme and it gets......repetitive at times. This one I read just had the two of them speaking to one another and it felt natural. Neither character really changed and it felt plausible. Cub Nala was still sweet and thoughtful while Scar still had that slightly manipulative edge but he was a perfect gentleman. Now, those kind of fics are what I enjoy.

All too often though, I keep seeing the same things and concepts. I don't want to name names or stories but since 'rejoining' the fandom and catching up on stories on various fanfiction outlets, I have discovered what I like and don't like. I know that I really don't like OCs.

What is up with this fandom and OCs? :lol: I ask this because characters that have potential to be explored in depth (Sarafina, Rafiki for example) are ignored in favor of someone's original character. It gets...redundant after awhile.

I guess it comes from personal habit/preference because in comicbook fandom, an OC is usually a code name for 'Mary Sue'. I have seen fora get very passionate about this thing not just in fic but in actual ones dedicated to a series. LOL! When I do an OC, I keep them as oblique as I can and not make them the center of the story. I cannot stand it when an OC/new character overpowers established characters with ease. It's not realistic and it makes the other characters who were there before look incompetent.

(For instance, there is a new character in the Batman fandom that's really testing fans on account of her tragic backstory, her 'edgy' look and how she might be a possible replacement for Robin after the last one died recently)

I also don't like crackfic as much as I used to. You can be clever and witty and when done right, I think there can be a fourth wall exploration/reference. Regulus wrote a rather hilarious piece for a contest recently that I thought was brilliantly funny and plausible.

What I look for/enjoy

1) Characterization-This is important to me. If you want me to care, I have to believe that these characters can 'say' these things. I do not want to see Scar or Mufasa saying 'Huh' or 'Yo'. It is the equivalent of finding a hair in a slice of cheesecake. No. Think about it. What is their psychology? How would THEY react to a particular situation. It's not about how YOU would react. ;)

2) A new concept/twist and making it believable-I forgot who wrote the piece that takes place in outer space but I thought that was funny. I also like Human AU stories. The key for me is if the writer put thought and emotion into it. As an aspring 'writer', I think it is important to make the small details count.

3) Shipping-More Mufasa/Sarabi and less Kovu/Kiara please! :lol: :P

How about you? What do you look for in a LK story? What are your preferences? What DON'T you like? :evil:

As always, let's be respectful with differences in opinion.
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.

Leo Buscaglia
TheBlackCatCrossing
Damnatio ad bestias

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nothing really matters-Madonna

Nickname(s): Harley Quinn
Pride Points: 27

Re: What do you look for in a fanfic? (Rant, be warned)

Postby DGFone » April 10th, 2013, 7:27 am

Length.

I don't even read any stories that don't pass a 1000 words/chapter requirement. I never saw a story that I really liked that didn't have at least 2000 to 5000+ words per chapter.

The reason I mention this is because of the "show, don't tell" clause. With less than 1000 words, you are often forced to start "telling" what happens in a timepiece sort of thing. "Simba woke up, are breakfast, went around the border, saw nothing, came back..." You have no idea how many times I've seen something similar to this, and it's not that it gets old fast - it's bad the first time around as well. Now imagine entire stories written like this.

Based around this, and due to a feeling that I am getting that short stories get an unfair bias in the writing contest (attention span problems? Shorter stories tend to win more often then their longer counterparts), I have a strong urge to post a very strict word limit on the contest for this reason. I don't do it yet because I fear it might kill the contest and no one will write anything.

But then again, with the contest: why should I pour my heart and soul into an idea I really like if that will only just about guarantee that I won't win?
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby FlipMode » April 10th, 2013, 3:48 pm

It has to be readable, by that I mean the author has at least made a decent attempt to use correct punctuation, grammar and spelling. And yes I sometimes slip up on those things myself, so I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say it needs to be perfect, just a bit of thought into structure and those kinds of things. See Az's "Formatting workshop" thread for a visual example of what I mean.

As for originality and having unique twists, yes I do enjoy that kind of thing and if you can pull it off, I tip my hat to you (and I don't even wear hats) but I know that so many ideas have already been done in the TLK fandom that it really isn't easy to come up with something like that. So again, not essential but it is something I'd like to see more of.

Decent descriptions of what the environment looks like, what can be heard etc. This is one of the things I really like about the film, the wildlife noises in the background and such, little details like that really drew me into the film and I like for that to be represented in a fan fiction.

To wrap up the post; the fundamental of story telling. Your main character should always be working toward the story's conclusion. Let's say for example a story is about Mufasa and set during his days as king, maybe telling the story of how he knew Simba, Nala and Zazu had snuck off to the elephant graveyard and his race to get to them. Everything he does from that point HAS to be in effort to get there, I don't really like it too much when stories deviate from the main plot line. It works in actual novels and stuff, but for fan fictions I prefer to the point story telling. It feels out of character if they get taken in by romance when their man goal is to for example, rule the Pridelands (something I felt was a bit off about TLK2 "I WILL KILL SIMBA!... Oh I changed my mnd because I love his daughter instead now.")

EDIT: Agree with the point about OC in fan fiction. I want to read about characters I know, not ones someone dreamt up. I don't mind it in RolePlay where it makes sense but in fan fiction, not so much. I will happily read one with OC but simply prefer actual cannon characters.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Regulus » April 10th, 2013, 9:12 pm

[quote="TheBlackCatCrossing"]I know that I really don't like OCs.

What is up with this fandom and OCs? :lol: I ask this because characters that have potential to be explored in depth (Sarafina, Rafiki for example) are ignored in favor of someone's original character. It gets...redundant after awhile. [/quote]

If done properly, there's really nothing wrong with OC's. The thing is, most OC's are self-inserts of the author.

The other common mistake with OC's is that they're often taken to extremes. The two that stand out in my mind the most are the 'Mary-Sue' and the character who went through some hard times and uses that as an excuse to be a jerkwad.

[quote]Agree with the point about OC in fan fiction. I want to read about characters I know, not ones someone dreamt up. I don't mind it in RolePlay where it makes sense but in fan fiction, not so much. I will happily read one with OC but simply prefer actual cannon characters.[/quote]

For main characters, I can agree.

Although, with the exception of alternate-universe fics, it is very difficult to write a story without using an OC. How immerse can a story possibly be when the only characters that have a line are Sarabi, Sarafina, Mufasa, and Scar? There's a lot more lions than those four in the Pridelands.

[quote]I guess it comes from personal habit/preference because in comicbook fandom, an OC is usually a code name for 'Mary Sue'. I have seen fora get very passionate about this thing not just in fic but in actual ones dedicated to a series. LOL! When I do an OC, I keep them as oblique as I can and not make them the center of the story. I cannot stand it when an OC/new character overpowers established characters with ease. It's not realistic and it makes the other characters who were there before look incompetent.[/quote]

It doesn't bother me *that* much, but I know what you mean and I'm not going to argue with it.

The story I've been writing for almost a year now (lol, I'm slow) is almost entirely OCs, but I've tried to avoid the above problems as much as I possibly can. There's really no way around using them, though, as the entire story takes place before most of the known characters are even born. The plot, itself, is totally unique within the realm of TLK fanfiction, as far as I'm aware. I'm hoping that gives it some redeeming qualities, at least. xP

I don't blame anyone from being turned off by my extensive use of unfamiliar characters, but I have to admit that it makes the story so much easier to write. It is constantly giving me ideas to add into each chapter, because I'm always having to decide how I want each character to react to the events that they experience. Writer's block becomes a very foreign concept.

The more OCs there are, the more unknown relationships there are to explore. If there's two characters, you only have to consider what character A thinks of B, and what B thinks of A. If there's four, there's 12 different relationships going on, which adds to the complexity of the story.

It's because people react differently in different situations. That's really the only thing that ever bothers me with OC's: they're not usually fluid. They have a certain personality, and act that way all the time.

In the real world, no one does that. The way I act around my Mom is totally different from the way I act around my Dad, which is different from the way I act around my friends, and the way I act at school... you get the idea.

That's what a lot of fics with OC's don't do, and I absolutely hate that.

[quote]For instance, GeminiGemelo wrote a fic where Mufasa was bad and Scar was good, well as "good" as his character could possibly be. I thought 'DAMN! That was brilliant'. Another story I read featured Scar and cub Nala. I see too many fics where Scar and Nala stories always have this pedophile/rape theme and it gets......repetitive at times. [/quote]

The repetition is definitely something that annoys me, though. I'm pretty sure about half or more of all lion king fanfics (that aren't one-shots) are stories about Kopa, which take place either before, during, or after SP.

Seriously you guys. I'm tired of reading about Kopa. :P

[quote]I also don't like crackfic as much as I used to. You can be clever and witty and when done right, I think there can be a fourth wall exploration/reference. Regulus wrote a rather hilarious piece for a contest recently that I thought was brilliantly funny and plausible. [/quote]

I'm actually not a fan of crackfics either. That last one was an exception. I was sitting in calculus class listening to a lecture on predator and prey relationships, and in the middle of it, I began to imagine what Scar would have thought. Everything just felt incredibly natural from there. I know I wrote a few other funny stories for the contest though, so you may have been referring to a different one.

The thing is, with short stories, it's much easier to go that route. It's kinda hard to have a complex, thought-provoking plot with sufficient detail (I'll get to that), with a 4k word limit.

[quote]Length.

I don't even read any stories that don't pass a 1000 words/chapter requirement. I never saw a story that I really liked that didn't have at least 2000 to 5000+ words per chapter.

The reason I mention this is because of the "show, don't tell" clause. With less than 1000 words, you are often forced to start "telling" what happens in a timepiece sort of thing. "Simba woke up, are breakfast, went around the border, saw nothing, came back..." You have no idea how many times I've seen something similar to this, and it's not that it gets old fast - it's bad the first time around as well. Now imagine entire stories written like this.[/quote]

Exactly. This, along with grammar, is what separates a crappy story from a good one. And, I'll be honest, there's a lot of crap out there.

Writing a truly good story is hard, though. And, in all honesty, the only way to learn to write a good story is with practice. The way I see it, anyone who takes the time to write a story deserves at least some credit, even if it's awful. Heck, even "professionals," who get their work published in print, aren't always that good at character development. *cough* Stephanie Meyer *cough*

And, you know, in a way, that's almost the beauty of it. Everyone has different thoughts, ideas, and views on writing, and in essence, that's what makes reading fics interesting.

Obviously, not everyone is going to find the same type of story appealing, and that's exactly why every fic is a little bit different.

Except the stories about Kopa. :P

But Regulus will not have read fic like this line if experience similar in experience of having read.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby DGFone » April 11th, 2013, 6:16 am

[quote="Regulus"]
Exactly. This, along with grammar, is what separates a crappy story from a good one. [/quote]

Perhaps I should stop editing people's stories before posting them in the voting topic for the contest and force them to write well themselves. :P

Not to sound rude, because GeminiGemelo did write a very good story, but from what he submitted to me, there would have never been a chance for him to win if I were to just copy and paste what he gave me: One big, unreadable block of text. Finding where all his paragraphs started (all the editing I did for him) took me some fifteen minutes - far too long to simply "post a submission".

Not only will not editing people's stories help me win more often, but it might even force people to... get off their pads and use their actual computers. When you have both, I don't see why people would choose to use the excuse of "I wrote it on my Ipad". Get on that keyboard, and use it.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Postby FlipMode » April 11th, 2013, 6:41 am

^ If you spend time editing into paragraphs on MS Word and then copypaste into a PM, it pastes as one block still. At least, it does on my laptop using MS Word and Google Chrome. When I write a fic, I therefore end up doing spacing (line breaks / paragraphs etc) twice.

It might be why you receive them as a wall of text...
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby DGFone » April 11th, 2013, 6:42 am

[quote="FlipMode"]^ If you spend time editing into paragraphs on MS Word and then copypaste into a PM, it pastes as one block still. At least, it does on my laptop using MS Word and Google Chrome. When I write a fic, I therefore end up doing spacing (line breaks / paragraphs etc) twice.

It might be why you receive them as a wall of text...[/quote]

The person sending it will also see that. I would assume that "MS Word messes it up" (MS messes up a lot of things, doesn't it?) is not a very good excuse. If you see that it copied everything into one block, only you know how to edit the story so that it's exactly how you want it.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby FlipMode » April 11th, 2013, 6:56 am

Touché. It's like baking a cake for a contest and expecting the host to put the icing on... Bad analogies FTW.
Going off topic a little though, competition entries are one thing, posting a fic without spacing is quite another and we have too many good stories here that go unnoticed or unread because of it.

Might I add decent title to my list? It should be a short phrase that sums up the story not just "Lion King III: "Character Here"'s Story" that's a bit of a pet peeve if ever I had one :D
FlipMode

Postby Regulus » April 11th, 2013, 1:25 pm

The way I think about it, and this might help a lot of writers out there, is to imagine a story being a comic strip. Basically, each paragraph is like a frame. Try to break any given scene down into a series of pictures, and from there, describe each one with a new paragraph. As soon as I started thinking of it that way, writing became a lot easier.

It's also important to remember that every paragraph carries the same amount of 'weight.' If something is really important and needs to stand out, put it on its own line. A paragraph that is a wall of text is much more likely to be skimmed over by a reader.

But, when it's like this, that doesn't usually happen. :P

And, you know, if you use MS Word, you can still double space between paragraphs and it will paste over without any issues.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby TheBlackCatCrossing » April 12th, 2013, 5:02 am

Great points, everyone!

DG, I do try to be careful when I submit my entries.

What motivates you guys to write aside from winning a contest? Do you wish to explore a concept that is foreign to you? Do you like getting out of your comfort zone? Ever have an idea that came out of nowhere, as in Regulus case, and then apply it to a story?

For me, I really enjoy taking a human idea/concept and giving it an 'animalized' (to borrow a term from the rock group KISS) touch.
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.

Leo Buscaglia
TheBlackCatCrossing
Damnatio ad bestias

Nothing really matters-Madonna

Nickname(s): Harley Quinn
Pride Points: 27

Next

Return to Planning and Characters