[Cancelled] [A Farce] RP Planning with Azdgari

Re: RP Planning with Azdgari

Postby Kina » July 25th, 2017, 12:46 pm

That leaves us with Tama, Kula and Chumvi as part of the Pridelands. Not so bad, especially since Mheetu would be a minor character at best (do you want him to be full siblings with Nala or a Sarafina/Scar result from the takeover portion of the timeline).
Kina

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Kina, lioness of the dusk.

Nickname(s): Moonlight
Pride Points: 9

Postby Azdgari » July 27th, 2017, 12:03 am

Probably full sibling?
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby Kina » July 27th, 2017, 3:05 am

Works for me. I had an OC at one point that was Nala's father, so I'll see if I can dig up his information from my harddrive.

I also like the idea of Ni being Kopa's father via Shani, possible plot-related death on that part, and being adopted by Simba and Nala - keeps the family resemblance, still technically part of the royal family, technically Simba's son via said adoption, while also maintaining the official canon that Simba has no son other than Kion. Just food for thought. (Should we do a continuation of the RP, at any rate, those questions would be addressed.)

Another plot related question, in regards to hyena backstory - I'd like to give them more of a reason for their antagonism other than "ebil henchman species." I know that IRL hyenas and lions are natural enemies, but a possible reasonable explanation for their banishment could be that they were overhunting in whatever generation of ruler (Mohatu, Uru, Mufasa) that was the one to exile them to the Elephant Graveyard.

And another tangent, sorry: I like the idea of elephants being the "king" of the prey species, so to speak. Excellent memory, impressive intelligence (they've actually learned to modify ASL with their trunks, which is pretty cool), so large little dares to challenge them, etc. It'd be a nice world building note, at very least.
Kina

Postby Azdgari » July 27th, 2017, 3:54 am

[quote="Kina"]Works for me. I had an OC at one point that was Nala's father, so I'll see if I can dig up his information from my harddrive.

I also like the idea of Ni being Kopa's father via Shani, possible plot-related death on that part, and being adopted by Simba and Nala - keeps the family resemblance, still technically part of the royal family, technically Simba's son via said adoption, while also maintaining the official canon that Simba has no son other than Kion. Just food for thought. (Should we do a continuation of the RP, at any rate, those questions would be addressed.)

Another plot related question, in regards to hyena backstory - I'd like to give them more of a reason for their antagonism other than "ebil henchman species." I know that IRL hyenas and lions are natural enemies, but a possible reasonable explanation for their banishment could be that they were overhunting in whatever generation of ruler (Mohatu, Uru, Mufasa) that was the one to exile them to the Elephant Graveyard.

And another tangent, sorry: I like the idea of elephants being the "king" of the prey species, so to speak. Excellent memory, impressive intelligence (they've actually learned to modify ASL with their trunks, which is pretty cool), so large little dares to challenge them, etc. It'd be a nice world building note, at very least.[/quote]
Yeah, overhunting is certainly one that comes to mind. Everyone really does react quite strongly to them whenever they're mentioned, especially early on--I could even see it being something even darker, like a cub-killing or something similarly abhorrent. Just spitballing.

Yeah, I like that elephant bit a lot. Could perhaps develop an OC or two for elephant leaders to meet with Mufasa, Simba, etc.
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Postby Kina » July 27th, 2017, 4:12 am

If you want to go dark, I'm fine with that, XD. My original work goes into the trenches lately, but I didn't want to squick you out.

And I'm glad that you like it, Az. :D

Okay, other plot things we might address - how attached are you to Timon and Pumbaa?
Kina

Postby Azdgari » July 28th, 2017, 10:23 pm

Not terribly... watcha thinkin?
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Postby Kina » July 29th, 2017, 1:44 am

Replacing them with a one-off character that was in one of the comics, a pretty old lion known as Tanglemane (I gave him a setting appropriate name, just have to dig into my GoogleDocs to find it). The Dynamic Duo don't really have much to offer in terms of the story beyond brief moments of comedy that are often mood-breakers, so giving Simba a grandfather-like figure seems like a better option for me. Not to mention he can teach him how to hunt, if through verbal coaching, and they'd have a symbiotic/familial relationship despite being on opposite ends of the age spectrum.

Image Image

And a younger rendition drawn by Coolrat on the MLK art archives (popped up when I did a Google search so I could show him to you):
https://www.mylionking.com/fan/art/Arti ... twork=8945
Kina

Postby Azdgari » August 1st, 2017, 1:23 am

[quote="Kina"]The Dynamic Duo don't really have much to offer in terms of the story beyond brief moments of comedy that are often mood-breakers, so giving Simba a grandfather-like figure seems like a better option for me. N5[/quote]
I actually might disagree with ya there. I think that what they do is critical to Simba's development as a character. It's under their care that he grows into the carefree, goofball adult who shocks Nala with his immaturity; one of Simba's defining choices in the film is between accepting responsibility and his new role as king, or continuing to eschew it and stay in the jungle with Timon and Pumba. And their comic relief to me also brings out, with starker contrast, the fact that Simba is still fleeing his demons years later (á la "Great kings of the past? What kinda mook told you that?"), despite his superficially 'problem-free philosophy'.

Wouldn't a wiser grandfather figure probably erase this choice altogether? I feel as though anyone with real wisdom would tell Simba to leave with Nala, thus un-necessitating Rafiki chasing him down, seeing Mufasa, strange weather, etc. I suppose we could maybe get around it, but I think I would have to vote against removing T/B altogether.

I could see this character playing a transitory role in the jungle though, which could cover the hunting, etc that you mentioned. It does seem like a cool design, and has potential for a cool dynamic.
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Postby Kina » August 5th, 2017, 6:47 pm

Sorry about the delay in my response, I had mouth surgery and had complications. Unfortunately I forgot to post here saying I'd be gone for a few days.

Also apologize for the shortness of said response, but is there anything in particular you'd like to do with the jungle arc with the inclusion of Tanglemane? Should he have already died by the time Nala comes around (old age), or still be hanging on and let Simba have one last confidant conversation with him before he goes back to the Pridelands?
Kina

Postby Azdgari » August 6th, 2017, 5:10 pm

[quote="Kina"]Sorry about the delay in my response, I had mouth surgery and had complications. Unfortunately I forgot to post here saying I'd be gone for a few days.

Also apologize for the shortness of said response, but is there anything in particular you'd like to do with the jungle arc with the inclusion of Tanglemane? Should he have already died by the time Nala comes around (old age), or still be hanging on and let Simba have one last confidant conversation with him before he goes back to the Pridelands?[/quote]
Don't apologize for having surgery! I'm sorry, that sucks. I hope you recover quickly and painlessly. :highfive:

Yeah, I'm trying to think through how it would work... I'm just wary of how Tanglemane being a wise, positive influence in the jungle would conflict with the fact that the jungle is basically where Simba develops into the outwardly 'i dun rly give a fuk' adult that Nala's so angry to find. Could it make more sense to actually include him -after- the events of the jungle, when Simba crosses the desert again? While that musical number as he bounds across the desert is very inspiring, that was probably no easy trip. Having a mentor help Simba through the desert, solidify his resolve, teach him some hunting/fighting tricks that he could employ, etc. might be something that fits more easily with the existing story, maybe? Just spitballing!
Azdgari
big, wide turns

PreviousNext

Return to RP Planning & Discussions