Feminism

Re: Feminism

Postby Simbaholikov » February 1st, 2016, 11:43 pm

[quote="Amber Kitty"]Men and women will never be equal. The female of the species is far more advanced. ;) If women ran the world, there would be less wars and more compassion.[/quote]

If I recall Australia had a female prime minister for a while and she was actually ousted in a coup she was doing such a bad job. (I think, I'm no master of Australian politics) Not saying that females make bad leaders, but comments like this are absolutely incorrect.
Simbaholikov

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FireAndSun » February 2nd, 2016, 12:28 am

The way I see it, we still need to address the ways men and women are culturally viewed and treated not only in western countries but worldwide. Women have been mistreated for far too long, and it's time to put an end to it. No woman should ever be treated as lesser because of her gender. And men are trapped too. Not to the extent women are, but with how much pressure men are under to be utterly masculine, there is a problem. Femininity is often looked down on culturally, which is awful. Masculinity and femininity are complementary and are both vital. There are also larger issues men face, such as male rape and domestic abuse victims not being taken seriously, especially if their abuser was a woman. This may not be as common as female rape and domestic abuse victims being mistreated by a man, but it does happen far more than people realize. The fact that boys are also being left behind in education is not acceptable. Boys need just as support as girls do. The issue of men receiving higher prison sentences for the same crimes as women and women being favored in custody arrangements because of their gender is an issue as well. Misogyny traps us all. Regulus mentioned earlier that going against gender roles goes against our evolution. I'm not totally inclined to agree. I'm not denying that there are obvious differences between men and women. But an interesting book I read recently pointed out something I agree with. What makes a biological male and female doesn't change. That's been the same for thousands of years, but being a man or a woman is largely cultural and is subject to change, as we've seen all the strides women in western countries have made over the last century. Perhaps an argument could be made that men are more inclined to being masculine and women to being feminine, but it isn't totally set in stone. Even what masculinity and femininity are varies from culture to culture. The men of ancient Egypt often wore cosmetics. High heels, which are a staple of the female wardrobe today, were once worn by men. Men, or at least upper class men, dressed a lot more colorfully and out there than they do now. It changes over the ages. A lot of it is culture rather than biology, and we go against our biology all the time. Gender roles have changed a lot. Nothing is truly set in stone. And with regards to women's employment and how some have made the argument that there isn't bias against women in the workforce, that is total bunk. There is total bias against women in the workforce. A lot of is just isn't noticed. There's direct evidence that women are discriminated against in scientific fields by both men and women. http://www.pnas.org/content/109/41/16474.full 40% of employers don't want to hire younger women to get around maternity leave. http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/a ... nity-leave Women are viewed as bossy and viewed more negatively if they assert themselves. http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/ ... qualities_
Even though men and women participating equally increases productivity. http://blog.mindjet.com/2013/04/gender- ... ductivity/
So don't say there isn't an issue because there is. Sexism is still alive and well in most cultures. Women in western nations have come a long way, and there are definitely women with far less rights than I have, but there are still issues. I'm currently taking a class on women and how we're viewed and treated culturally, and one thing that really struck me was the stories the other young women in my class had to tell. All of them had been affected by sexism in some way, and it horrified me. We've come far, but there is still progress to make.
Last edited by FireAndSun on February 2nd, 2016, 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FireAndSun

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 25

Postby SlayerOfLight » February 2nd, 2016, 1:11 am

TBH I don't even know why there is such a thing as feminism... In my opinion it is pointless and doesn't focus on any major worldly issue. And don't even get me started about equality. Sure men earn more money than women, but when the ship sinks it are always women and childen's lives that matter more than men's lives.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby FireAndSun » February 2nd, 2016, 1:20 am

^ Are you kidding me? There are parts of the world where women are treated like absolute garbage. And women's lives certainly aren't valued in these cultures. Some estimates state there are somewhere up to 100 million missing women in Asia alone because they don't want daughters, especially in India and China. Dowry deaths are a huge issue in these cultures. Rape is often blamed on the woman in so many cultures. You can't seriously be saying the suffering of women isn't a world issue because it is. Women make up half of the world's population, but we don't hold anywhere near half of the power. The mistreatment of women is something that affects all of us. It's a human issue. And yes, there may have been once a focus on women in things like ships going down, and I don't agree that. Men and women's lives are equally valuable, but let's not pretend men are victims of widespread sexism. They simply aren't. Men may face issues that need to be addressed, but they aren't the primary victims of sexism. That would be like saying white people are the main victims of racism in the United States.
Last edited by FireAndSun on February 2nd, 2016, 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FireAndSun

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby HereWeStand » February 2nd, 2016, 1:23 am

[quote="MetalHeart"]but when the ship sinks it are always women and childen's lives that matter more than men's lives.[/quote]

Which is a legitimate issue that we as a society need to combat in order to eliminate sexism, but from your response I guess that's "pointless".

EDIT: To clarify, by that I mean the 'traditional' standards we hold for men and women that have no place in modern society. Men should not have to live up to standards of masculinity if they do not aspire to, just as femininity shouldn't be considered "weak". In the Western world we may have the same rights but societal standards can still be backwards when it comes to gender and this needs to stop.
HereWeStand
-

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby SlayerOfLight » February 2nd, 2016, 2:41 am

@TheBlueQueen But here in the civilised world you don't have it that bad, do you? Both men and women here have their own ''unfair'' advantages, that's why I believe feminism is bullshit.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby FireAndSun » February 2nd, 2016, 2:48 am

^ And I say it isn't. Women in the developed world certainly have come far, but there are still issues that need to be addressed. You can find it bull all you like, but I know firsthand it isn't. I personally know many young women who have experienced harassment or otherwise been mistreated because of their gender. I, myself, have had unpleasant experiences because of my gender. When I was a little girl, even though my parents told me I could be whatever I wanted to be, I still thought there were things women couldn't do because it wasn't "normal." I thought leadership positions were for men and subordinate positions were for women. I didn't even question it. The culture I've grown up in has made me ashamed of my body. It made me hate other women. It made me terrified to be around unknown men because we don't define consent well enough to our sons. It's made me hate being female. The way we still culturally view women is not flattering or okay, from the way we objectify women in the media, to the way we insult women's sexuality, to the way we say a woman was "asking for it" when she gets raped because she was wearing revealing clothing. Every little cultural thing in the way we view women may not seem like much on its own, but it's all one part of a much deeper and much more troubling cultural issue. Yes, women's rights certainly need to be more immediately addressed in countries where women are treated like utter garbage. That's where it's certainly needed the most. But there are definite issues here that should not be ignored.
Last edited by FireAndSun on February 2nd, 2016, 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
FireAndSun

Postby DGFone » February 2nd, 2016, 3:49 am

Well, this topic escalated quickly.

I just want to say that modern feminism such as the kind that lead Hilary Clinton to announce that women are the primary victims of war is exactly the kind of thing that is giving feminism a very, very bad name.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby FireAndSun » February 2nd, 2016, 3:58 am

^ To an extent I agree. Men are certainly victims of war as well, both as its primary combatants, and just simply as victims of war. But women do suffer an awful lot from war as well. It's not uncommon for women to be terrorized and even raped by soldiers in times of war. Women also make up a large number of refugees in times of war to be certain. But both men and women certainly suffer in war. I hope no one is denying that.

And yeah, a topic such as this does tend to get very heated. This is a very passionate topic for me, and a bit of a sore spot as it's so personal for me. Of course, it's never my intention to upset anyone, but I'm a very opinionated person to be sure.
FireAndSun

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » February 2nd, 2016, 11:00 am

[quote="Simbaholic"][quote="Amber Kitty"]Men and women will never be equal. The female of the species is far more advanced. ;) If women ran the world, there would be less wars and more compassion.[/quote]

If I recall Australia had a female prime minister for a while and she was actually ousted in a coup she was doing such a bad job. (I think, I'm no master of Australian politics) Not saying that females make bad leaders, but comments like this are absolutely incorrect.[/quote]
I mean, look at Margaret Thatcher? For a woman Prime Minister, she turned out to be a cold hearted one.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

PreviousNext

Return to The Den