The restriction of freedom of speech in colleges

Re: The restriction of freedom of speech in colleges

Postby it means no worries » April 6th, 2016, 9:02 pm

You're going to a Californian university, aren't you, Jack? ;)
it means no worries

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 63

Postby Azdgari » April 6th, 2016, 9:38 pm

[quote="S1mb4 D4 L10n"]Yep. It's spreading to even the most prestigious universities in the United States.

People protesting at Princeton University to remove Woodrow Wilson's name...
[/quote]
Yeah, I think this sort of PC revisionism really wades into troubling waters. It's happening at Harvard (changing the shield to erase the memory of a founder who owned slaves) and happened at UNC (renaming a building because the original donor had KKK ties). I read a New Yorker article that summed this up very eloquently...

"Decades from now, some other ideological enthusiasm will descend, and some of our most heroic citizens, who will then be figures from history books, will face reappraisal and possible repudiation. From our vantage point, there is no way to figure out which of today's failings will elicit the wrath of tomorrow's revisionists."

Perhaps tomorrow our greatest role models of today will be scrubbed from history for their complacency in widespread animal abuse (read: non-vegetarian) or their rape of the planet (read: drive inefficient cars, fly, etc).

Political correctness runs amuck when we use it to censor ourselves from ideas we don't like or elements of the past that make us uncomfortable, and in doing so I think it makes us see issues in terms of black and white as opposed to shades of grey. Also at UNC, there's been debate over the removal of the 'Silent Sam' statue, which honors UNC students who died in the civil war (fighting for the confederacy). Did fighting for the confederacy make those people evil? Or were they just young men answering the call of their country and fighting for their homes and what they believed was right at the time?

Just some thoughts.
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby KopsTheTerminator » April 6th, 2016, 11:11 pm

[quote="S1mb4 D4 L10n"]Yale students protesting a halloween costume email (Cursing in the video. Girl rages)

[/quote]

Can someone explain exactly what's been going on here? The video and the description are really vague over it.

[quote="it means no worries"]^ "It is not about creating an intellectual space, it is not! Do you understand that? It is about creating a home here!"

Absolutely bloody priceless...[/quote]

Do these people know that the main point of college is to educate?? What is this about "creating a home" at college? You're not paying for college for the community, you're paying to study. Jesus christ...
KopsTheTerminator

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » April 6th, 2016, 11:29 pm

As far as I'm aware, students were complaining that Halloween costumes were appropriating different cultures and that teacher sent an email along the lines of 'people can dress up as what they want'.

I've actually been told that I'm a racist for dressing up as a typical fortune teller to do tarot readings at a Halloween disco lol - raised £60 though
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby Leviara_Lioness » April 8th, 2016, 2:38 am

[quote="Amy"]As far as I'm aware, students were complaining that Halloween costumes were appropriating different cultures and that teacher sent an email along the lines of 'people can dress up as what they want'.

I've actually been told that I'm a racist for dressing up as a typical fortune teller to do tarot readings at a Halloween disco lol - raised £60 though[/quote]

That's it I Done with It!! Well I "Know Now" I'll Not be going to Uni/College (not kidding) cause I've been debating whether to or not, from the looks of this, of whats been going on, I think I'll just have my dad lion Educate me on this level of Schooling at home, as I can get books from the stores for my studies! At Least there at home I can be free in my thoughts and thinking and ideas and art forms!
This did it for me.

Amy thats just Evil who ever called you a Racist :x , you are Not Racist, you're a really nice person/lioness! I'd Smack up side the head who ever called you that, give them a piece of my Lioness mind I would :x !!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Leviara_Lioness
Israeli Princess Lioness

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Israeli Princess Cleopah Lioness

Nickname(s): Sarbi, Cleopah, Jasmine, Cleo, Levi or Levira
Pride Points: 59

Postby Tora » April 8th, 2016, 3:08 am

Seems like these social justice warriors think they can control everyone's free speech. The people need to stand against these minority groups. And these placing harboring their nonsense should be held responsible for advocating such nonsense.
Tora
Never Forget

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Postby FlipMode » April 8th, 2016, 9:49 am

[quote="Kops"]It's not that I don't believe you, I'm just so surprised colleges are now catering to the SJW crowds. Why?[/quote]

They already ruined comedy, video games and entertainment, might as well move on to the boring stuff that isn't as important, like education, I guess.
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Postby KopsTheTerminator » April 8th, 2016, 10:38 am

[quote="Leviara_Lioness"]That's it I Done with It!! Well I "Know Now" I'll Not be going to Uni/College (not kidding) cause I've been debating whether to or not, from the looks of this, of whats been going on, I think I'll just have my dad lion Educate me on this level of Schooling at home, as I can get books from the stores for my studies! At Least there at home I can be free in my thoughts and thinking and ideas and art forms!
This did it for me.
[/quote]

You're joking, right? Homeschooling is infamous for parental bias at best, brainwashing at worst. Besides... you can't expect your dad to homeschool you on a university level...

[quote="Flip_FTW"]They already ruined comedy, video games and entertainment, might as well move on to the boring stuff that isn't as important, like education, I guess.[/quote]

I mean, who needs "debates" on a university environment anyway?
KopsTheTerminator

Postby Regulus » April 8th, 2016, 3:23 pm

[quote="S1mb4 D4 L10n"]Problems like these are demonstrative of the regressive left. I find that most people I talk to, in fact literally everyone except a troll or two, believe in social and legal equality for many demographics. But these people, to me, are not SJWs. SJWs tend advocate for programs or ideas that may appear to be progressive but ultimately illiberal in its nature. "Safe spaces" may appear to be a nice way for victims of some form of abuse to be able to congregate without fear, but when in practice, these safe spaces become intellectual hugboxes. Where everyone must meet the same consensus on a certain topic or else they might trigger another person.

Considering that this way of thinking is more popular among today's youth, it is not surprising that we're seeing speakers being banned from prestigious institutions for nothing other than having different political views. Even comedians like Chris Rock, Bill Maher, and Jerry Seinfeld, all say that they are refusing to perform at colleges anymore. Why? Because they protest over jokes of all things.

Chris Rock even said himself: "college audiences are getting way too conservative. Not like they're voting Republican, but in their social views and their willingness not to offend anybody."

Which ties back to my original point. This regressive culture that IMNW is describing is the antithesis of liberalism. After centuries of fighting and protest to maintain the right to freedom of speech, more and more younger people are looking to limit it. I think it's absolutely silly.[/quote]

Perfect. Just... absolutely perfect. I've thought that for such a long time, and regressive liberal is a rather fitting term. The extreme left is just about as conservative as the extreme right.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Leviara_Lioness » April 10th, 2016, 3:38 am

[quote]Kops Wrote:
You're joking, right? Homeschooling is infamous for parental bias at best, brainwashing at worst. Besides... you can't expect your dad to homeschool you on a university level...[/quote]

Well I see you're point, too Kops. Well I can Also do Internet Studies as well, as is, theres No Social Pressure to be what others think, nor am I restricted in my Views or beliefs, verbally or mentally!

But ok Dad was the one also who had the same idea for me as I mentioned it to him, he then said, he too wanted that for me to be hometaught, as was he's a Retired College Professor and has worked 35+ years in the field, as he said he wanted to do this with/for me, with Implied adage too! So I Obliged him, too, cause we both had the same idea. But Kops I appreciate you're Concern/Thought.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Leviara_Lioness
Israeli Princess Lioness

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Israeli Princess Cleopah Lioness

Nickname(s): Sarbi, Cleopah, Jasmine, Cleo, Levi or Levira
Pride Points: 59

PreviousNext

Return to The Den