European Union: Britain, remain or leave?

Remain or leave?

Poll ended at June 22nd, 2016, 3:41 pm

Remain
67%
Leave
25%
Undecided
8%

Total votes : 12

European Union: Britain, remain or leave?

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » June 15th, 2016, 3:35 pm

Just wanted to know a few opinions and maybe have a little debate!

I'm pretty sure I'll be voting to remain, and if people want my list of reasons I'll edit them into this first post, but I won't be able to get round to them for a little while.

However, I do see tangible arguments to leave, the most recent one I have found, for example:

One recent one has been the Common Agriculture Policy or CAP, where the EU 'dumps' large amounts of food on LEDCs in order to sell it, which means farmers in those countries can't compete with prices. Completely unfair, yet so many farmers in the member countries now rely on this policy - so I guess the point is, there are two sides to every story.

The biggest concern I have is that many Britons will vote on the basis of immigration and immigration only, which is ridiculous as the EU is about so much more. I understand that there are genuine concerns about immigration, however, when people start building huge stereotypes and use racial slurs (WHICH THEY 100% DO, I hear it myself almost every day), thats when I have an issue with it. It becomes a debate about your opinion of foreign people, not the facts.
Last edited by UncoordinatedPisces on June 15th, 2016, 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Re: European Union: Britain, remain or leave?

Postby KopsTheTerminator » June 15th, 2016, 3:37 pm

I'm not knowledgable enough to participate properly here (though I've found myself agreeing more with pro-EU arguments than not), but I'd like to ask if you could add a poll to this thread? It'd be interesting to see the results. :)
KopsTheTerminator

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » June 15th, 2016, 3:43 pm

Added!
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby KopsTheTerminator » June 15th, 2016, 3:44 pm

Sweet. I'll probably not say much here if anything at all, but consider myself interested in any debate this may cause. :P
KopsTheTerminator

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby it means no worries » June 15th, 2016, 3:45 pm

[quote="UncoordinatedPisces"]
The biggest concern I have is that many Britons will vote on the basis of immigration and immigration only, which is ridiculous as the EU is about so much more. I understand that there are genuine concerns about immigration, however, when people start building huge stereotypes and use racial slurs (WHICH THEY 100% DO, I hear it myself almost every day), thats when I have an issue with it. It becomes a debate about your opinion of foreign people, not the facts.[/quote]

Even though I am in favour of leaving, I'd prefer if we voted to stay rather than vote leave purely through immigration based fear-mongering.
it means no worries

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 63

Postby KopsTheTerminator » June 15th, 2016, 3:46 pm

It's true, immigration is definitely something to consider but it's not the only issue to consider at all as the EU affects so much more. There's plenty of benefits as well as drawbacks the voters should consider instead of just immigration.
KopsTheTerminator

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » June 15th, 2016, 3:49 pm

[quote="it means no worries"][quote="UncoordinatedPisces"]
The biggest concern I have is that many Britons will vote on the basis of immigration and immigration only, which is ridiculous as the EU is about so much more. I understand that there are genuine concerns about immigration, however, when people start building huge stereotypes and use racial slurs (WHICH THEY 100% DO, I hear it myself almost every day), thats when I have an issue with it. It becomes a debate about your opinion of foreign people, not the facts.[/quote]
Even though I am in favour of leaving, I'd prefer if we voted to stay rather than vote leave purely through immigration based fear-mongering.[/quote]
Unfortunately, I think that's what is going to happen! I try and think more highly of the British public, but I really don't know.
[quote="Kops"]It's true, immigration is definitely something to consider but it's not the only issue to consider at all as the EU affects so much more. There's plenty of benefits as well as drawbacks the voters should consider instead of just immigration.[/quote]
Not to mention the positives that are within immigration in the first place! With an ageing population in the UK, I'd say migrants have a somewhat important role to play.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Postby it means no worries » June 15th, 2016, 3:53 pm

One thing that I will point out though is that I don't agree with the claim that 3 million jobs will be lost if we leave. Most jobs that depend on EU will depend on the trade-not our membership, and the EU will not stop trading with us if we leave.
it means no worries

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 63

Postby Ninaroja » June 15th, 2016, 4:01 pm

My reasons for voting remain are purely selfish.

As someone who hopes to make a living off the back of a degree in languages, and therefore will be required to travel a lot in such a position, I want it to be as easy as possible.

That is all. Shoot me.
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby KopsTheTerminator » June 21st, 2016, 11:43 pm

Thread got overshadowed I see, so bump. :P
KopsTheTerminator

Next

Return to The Den