Zootopia

Re: Zootopia

Postby Ultra Fox » March 1st, 2016, 4:31 am

You lucky people outside the US, I still need to wait 4 more days. ;A;
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

Postby Elton John » March 4th, 2016, 9:43 pm

There's a lot to love and little to hate about zootopia. I think 20 years from now it will be seen with the same fondness as the 90's disney films.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Timon the great » March 5th, 2016, 2:35 am

[quote="littlelionman"][quote="Timon the great"]Ah, so it's been released already in other countries. I'm surprised Disney decided to do this with this film before being released here in the USA (March 4) because the voting poll was already showing on the IMDB page for this film in the last week (if I'm correct that's how long it's been already since I saw the poll active on there).

I already knew the film is going to be good. But I really hope Nick and Judy's friendship turns out to be all it can be when I get to see this movie.[/quote]
I was really surprised as well, because first the theater's site said it would be released on March 19th, but then I re-checked about two months later and saw it was going to premiere on February 19 and I was like OMGGGG hahaha went to watch it that weekend.

Well I say it was really good, will even watch it again anytime soon with some other friends :3[/quote]

I'm also really surprised now with what you've replied. So it seems like the USA was originally going to be one of the first to see the film and especially since it was made here and is normally the case. Now with this film, it's one of the last... Well at least it doesn't have to wait anymore because today was the day.

I'll probably be going to see it by the middle of next week before the spring break crowds here where I live are let loose from college / school the following week. I saw a few clips of the film itself this week and it makes me want to go see it even more like right now; Lol

And watching the short clips, I'm definitely finding Judy to be a pretty interesting protagonist and I like how she walks / skips in one of the clips (also reminiscent of her animal specie). It was actually kinda funny and cute to me at the same time, and I like that she's also caring when seeing a part where she hugs another character she doesn't know on the film. ))
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Timon L. Berkowitz

Pride Points: 29

Postby Gemini » March 5th, 2016, 6:41 am

Zootopia was a really great movie.

I would type out all my thoughts on it now but I'm tired and I'm supposed to be up at 5:30 tomorrow morning... so I should think about getting to bed. I'll probably end up editing this post to talk about it tomorrow.

But yeah, you all should see it if you get the chance. It was really endearing, really funny, and had a relevant message behind it as well. Very enjoyable for both kids and adults.

This is New!3D!Disney at its finest. ^^
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't look back

Nickname(s): Twin, Janna
Telegram: @maverickmule
Pride Points: 107

Postby Ultra Fox » March 5th, 2016, 8:16 am

Zootopia was amazing, and it competes with How to Train Your Dragon 2 as my all-time favorite CG animated film.

In fact, it is also Disney's best film since the 90's, hands down. I loved it. :D
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

Postby DGFone » March 6th, 2016, 5:19 am

I saw it yesterday and my thoughts are...

It's a good movie, but I'm sorry, it's no Lion King. Still an enjoyable experience that I can recommend though.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Alexterri1 » March 6th, 2016, 10:50 pm

I'm gonna see it on Easter with my mom. Everyone has noting but positives things to say about it so I'm pretty hyped!
What is the difference between a cat and a comma? One has claws at the end of its paws, and the other is a pause at the end of a clause :D
Alexterri1
Queen of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are One

Nickname(s): Alex
Pride Points: 6

Postby Marizzle » March 6th, 2016, 10:52 pm

I'm going to watch this movie on Friday, with a friend, and I couldn't be more excited. I'll leave my review, later. :D
Marizzle
Hope is the only thing

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Stronger than fear

Pride Points: 81

Postby TheLionPrince » March 13th, 2016, 7:30 pm

I saw Zootopia last Friday, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

First things first, the art direction and production design from David Goetz and his visual artists was splendid to watch, and there hasn't been a scale of this world-building since Wreck-It Ralph. Computer animation continues to outdo itself with the layer of fur on Nick Wilde and Judy Hopps that feels realistic when wet, dry, or blowing in the breeze.

Admittedly, the story felt more like it came from Pixar than Disney animation. It has the common elements of a buddy comedy (which Disney is no stranger to with The Emperor's New Groove and even their last three princess films had the female protagonist paired with a male love interest as they go on an adventure) and a crime mystery with noirist themes. There were a lot of pop culture references to The Godfather and Breaking Bad that made it even more enjoyable. However, I felt the movie was really preachy about its message (and it was a good one), but it was so blatantly and forcefully told to us in the first twenty minutes rather than have it told with subtlety. It also uses well-known characteristics of animals to represent human stereotypes and not to make false assumptions of others based on it. Like in Aladdin, "things are not always what they seem". With that said, I knew there was going to be a twist villain to enforce the idea and I correctly guess it before the reveal, which took me out of the movie for awhile. This is the fourth Disney animated film in a row to have a twist villain, and if they keep this up, it will grow creatively stale that it makes me long for the days when the villains were obvious from the beginning.

Concerning the message, it's almost self-contradictory for the movie to discourage prejudice, but still explain in context that in the past, the predators killed other animals for food because of their biology, and still carry the instinct to kill despite the advancements made to live in harmony with prey animals. In other words, the predators are peaceful creatures, but have a heritage of savagery and violence which is allegorical of certain groups of people have descended from savages.

Returning back to the good stuff, the voice cast was spectacular. Gennifer Goodwin has a delightful, upbeat voice for Judy that reminded me of Anna from Frozen. Jason Bateman had a sly, sarcastic, and even cynical voice for Nick Wilde. Together, they had a well-written chemistry. Idris Elba and J.K. Simmons had a booming baritone in their voice for Chief Bogo and Mayor Lionheart. Clawhauser sounded like Josh Gad and even Jonah Hill, although he was voiced by Nate Torrence. Bellwether sounded like Jennifer Tilly, although she was voiced by Jenny Slate. Maurice LaMarche nearly stole the show as Mr. Big. I don't remember a lot of Michael Giacchino's score, but Shakira's song "Try Everything" was very uplifting and will likely be a contender for the Academy Award for Best Original Song.

8/10
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Rollo » March 30th, 2016, 4:19 pm

Last edited by Rollo on February 27th, 2020, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rollo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 29

PreviousNext

Return to The Den