Discussion on Religion - Where do you stand?

What religion are you?

Atheist
29%
Agnostic
6%
Agnostic - Leaning Theist
6%
Agnostic - Leaning Athiest
19%
Christian
19%
Catholic
6%
Buddhist
No votes
Hindu
No votes
Mormon
No votes
Jewish - Practicing religious
No votes
Muslim
No votes
Pagan
13%
Theistic Satanist
No votes
Lavey-Satanist
No votes
Other - Please Explain
No votes

Total votes : 31

Re: Discussion on Religion - Where do you stand?

Postby Squeely » January 31st, 2017, 7:05 pm

I used to hate religion and God Himself when I was a teen. My father used to say that all gay people deserved to die, which stemmed from his religious beliefs, and it felt like my family was constantly pushing religion on me and trying to force me to be someone I'm not.

I've since matured and realized things aren't as bad as they seemed then. I do feel sorry that I used to hate so much, but when you're driven to the point that you think you'd rather kill yourself than come out, that hate comes from a justifiable place.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby FireAndSun » January 31st, 2017, 7:59 pm

I personally don't hate religion itself. I was driven away from religion starting in middle school for two reasons. One, it was partly for moral reasons, as many of the doctrines and moral philosophies in the Bible and Christianity do not align with my moral values, and I would later discover this is the case with most other religions as well. Two, religion is purely faith based, and I personally don't feel comfortable just trusting something is true without there being any concrete proof for it. Religion was never a huge part of my life growing up, so while it was hard for me to come to terms with what I believed in, it was never something I felt I was betraying or anything like that. I will admit I first thought religion in general was pretty stupid, and I didn't get why anyone would want to believe in something for which there isn't any concrete proof, but I did eventually grow to realize this is a very pompous and self-righteous attitude, and I no longer judge someone for being religious. I'm perfectly fine with someone who's religious as long as they don't shove it down my throat, and if a religious discussion does come up, they're willing to discuss it rationally. I'm willing to explore the topic of religious beliefs if they're willing to do the same.
FireAndSun

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 25

Postby Ninaroja » January 31st, 2017, 8:58 pm

[quote="MalibuTrashDog"] I was born and raised Catholic and that's where I am.[/quote]

Same here - though why are Christian and Catholic two separate entries? Shouldn't it be just Christian, or Catholic and Protestant?
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby Carl » January 31st, 2017, 9:04 pm

I recently learned (a year or two ago) that most Christians in the US of any denomination don't think Catholicism is even Christianity. I'm not sure why or how they think this, but most consider it to be separate apparently, while they view the other denominations as all being Christian. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me, but I'm guessing that's the rationale in this case, too.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Buffy » January 31st, 2017, 9:13 pm

I'm a devout Christian. I've attended several different churches with different denominations like Catholic, Lutheran, Adventist, United, etc. But since moving to Canada I've regularly been attending an Anglican church. I have a wonderful church family there and my reverend delivers an incredible sermon. So I mean, technically I could say I'm an Anglican Christian. But given that I was baptized United and confirmed Lutheran, I just call myself a Christian because I feel like the core beliefs of Christianity are the same, there are just some other differences in different denominations, and that's okay.
Buffy
once i present, but then

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

everything changed when the fire nation attacked.

Pride Points: 180

Postby MalibuTrashDog » January 31st, 2017, 9:35 pm

[quote="Ninaroja"][quote="MalibuTrashDog"] I was born and raised Catholic and that's where I am.[/quote]

Same here - though why are Christian and Catholic two separate entries? Shouldn't it be just Christian, or Catholic and Protestant?[/quote]

Catholics are part of Christianity. The difference is with most Christian faiths you have a pastor who can marry and such whereas priests cannot. Also most Christian faiths don't hold the Virgin Mary in high regard like Catholics do, like Catholics believe she was always a virgin and never had anymore kids where Christians don't think that. Also the whole thing about saints and such.
MalibuTrashDog
Daddy Atsume

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

The trash that collects you.

Nickname(s): Malibu, Sam
Pride Points: 100

Postby WildSimba » January 31st, 2017, 10:01 pm

I was trying to separate the main sub-sections of Christianity, since they have generally the same beliefs, but they branch out a lot and follow other things. Mainly Catholicism and Mormonism, both of those religions are considered Christian-based religions, but have their own beliefs and practices outside of the common Christian religions (Evangelical, Latter-day Saint, Baptist, ex)

Also, thanks everyone for the keeping the conversation civil and very nice, I knew that we could have a discussion about Religion without it delving into arguments, we're a pretty mature set of people here in this community, keep on keeping on. :)

Anyways, I personally consider myself an Agnostic Atheist. I don't believe in a god but I also don't think there's any way to prove that there is or isn't one in a factual sense. My views come from my own personal viewpoints and research over the years, and aren't necessarily 100% solid because there's aspects and discussions that change my stance sometimes. I have no reason to resent religion as a whole whatsoever, because I think in a lot of what it's marvelous in helping a lot of people, I can't deny that. Just for me, nothing makes sense about them, and they don't fit my personal view of how the world works at all. Personally the only type of people I don't like are the confrontational, you're going to hell type, but to be perfectly fair, I don't like the Atheists that think you're stupid for believing in a god. I guess to me, I just don't like when people think their way is the only right way, and anyone else is an idiot. lol
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Squeely » January 31st, 2017, 10:09 pm

Christians don't say Hail Mary's, at least as far as I know (having been raised by very Christian family), while Catholics do. Christians don't do the cross hand gesture across themselves while Catholics do. And I'm sure there are plenty of other little differences between Christians and Catholics.

Still, I don't get why Christians tend to hold Catholics in a slightly lesser regard, at least as far as I've observed. Worth pointing out I'm in the US, so it could be a US thing for whatever reason. Catholics do have plenty of differences in their practices, but the core beliefs are the same.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Carambulesco » January 31st, 2017, 10:19 pm

I dont have much sure about the existence or not of a superior being. I think it is better for me to wait for the life pass, chase experiences that will make open my mind at the point that I will realize that God or whatever divine being do exist or not. I'm on the fence.
"There comes a certain time in life that you have to listen to your heart to take the path of happiness or satisfaction. I'm trying to find my destiny, and all I've found is adventure and Nature. But I'll keep looking for clearer answers.
The more I move away from humanity, the more human I feel."
:happyjasiri:
Carambulesco
Simba X Sodona

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nature is my home, with the Circle of Life

Telegram: @99999999fff
Pride Points: 2

Postby SlayerOfLight » January 31st, 2017, 11:23 pm

To be honest I'm not even sure anymore. I've become way more sceptical recently.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

PreviousNext

Return to The Den