Remove the contest's word limit or not?

Yes! I like longer stories!
67%
No, I like manageable stories!
33%

Total votes : 12

Re: Writing Contest Poll

Postby DGFone » September 11th, 2012, 6:25 pm

I can tell you for certain that there will be no junior/senior division. Not because I'm too lazy to run two contests at once, but because the writing contest is simply not big enough to warrant the division. Remember that six entries is a large number of entries for the contest still, and the majority of contests only had three. So if I were to divide them, one contest will only have two entries, and the other one will not even be a contest, having only one entry.

So therefore, I am not going to divide up the contest. I am thinking about raising the limit instead of simply removing it.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Kitva Hyperlink » September 11th, 2012, 6:34 pm

I see your point DGF. To add on to my points before
C. If a story is too short, people would get bored because there isn't enough detail. So if the limit gets rised to 4000 then it'd make people have a chance to amaze the readers, you do this in just about every type of literature. Details need words, and stories need details. So we should rise the limit.
Hello Guy's
I have left MLK now
Kitva Hyperlink
LinkCoolKitva

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Check Y'all

Nickname(s): Link, Kitva KKVK4
Pride Points: 17

Postby TheBlackCatCrossing » September 11th, 2012, 6:48 pm

Should the minimum be 1000 words and the max 3000? 4000? Unlimited? What if the author can admit it as a 'sample'?
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.

Leo Buscaglia
TheBlackCatCrossing
Damnatio ad bestias

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nothing really matters-Madonna

Nickname(s): Harley Quinn
Pride Points: 27

Postby DGFone » September 11th, 2012, 9:17 pm

[quote="TheBlackCatCrossing"]Should the minimum be 1000 words and the max 3000? 4000? Unlimited? What if the author can admit it as a 'sample'?[/quote]

That sounds like a good idea. If we can keep the stories to be within two thousand words of each other or so, I will be able to raise the limit by creating a minimum requirement, and as long as the min is not ridiculous, there shouldn't be any problems.

Now, I know that some authors might argue that some of the best writing they read was hyper-compressed 100 word pieces or so. From personal experience, I have never seen a really short piece that stood out compared to excellently written longer stories. Also, the 1000 word requirement will mean that people won't simply smash their keyboards for two minutes and call it a story.

So for now, this looks like the game plan: The limit will be raised to 3000 words, and there will be a 1000 word 'barrier to entry'.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » September 11th, 2012, 9:22 pm

^ Sounds like a good plan. I don't usually enter because of lack of ideas, but I enjoy reading and voting.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby Kitva Hyperlink » September 11th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Lol. OK i'd be happy with that, my stories come to about 1200. So I'm safe.
Hello Guy's
I have left MLK now
Kitva Hyperlink
LinkCoolKitva

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Check Y'all

Postby wolfishgirl » September 12th, 2012, 7:38 pm

I have to say that both arguments u came up with are good, so y don't you make a compromise, change the 2000 word length to something longer like 5000, it still gives a limit for writers so that run away stories aren't that bad, and it'll keep it fair.
Spoiler: show
Married to vish

adopted daughter werewolfgrrly

adopted sister: unikels

adopted brother: Tora

Melonie's Aunt

Thank you Rogue and Sophie for the graphics.

friends list are in the spoiler, check out if you're good enough to be one. :D

Nicholas
Nukascar1
Arani
Biomac 92
Buffy
Libre
Banana
WildSimba
TheLionPrince
VitanisMate
TheRoguePrince
Regulus
SimbaNalaScarZira123
Vish
Kuna
Unikels
OuRaion
Moka
werewolfgrrly
Tora
Juliette
James
KristinaKiara
Aina
DGFone
SharpLionson
wolfishgirl
Chocolate Chip Cookies

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Warm in your belly!

Nickname(s): Wolfishgirl, Narm, Annoying girl, Alien, Angel...
Pride Points: 26

Postby Kitva Hyperlink » September 13th, 2012, 5:51 am

Wolfishgirl, DGFone has already came up with what he is going to do. If he rises it to 5000, the botem limit will be 3000, and with make a lot of writes not able to reach the limit. So in fairness, 1000-2000 is good. Also 3000-5000 words would be just enough for a 3 chapter novel without prologue and epilogue.
Hello Guy's
I have left MLK now
Kitva Hyperlink
LinkCoolKitva

Check Y'all

Postby wolfishgirl » September 13th, 2012, 5:52 am

There's a bottom limit????
Married to vish

adopted daughter werewolfgrrly

adopted sister: unikels

adopted brother: Tora

Melonie's Aunt

Thank you Rogue and Sophie for the graphics.

friends list are in the spoiler, check out if you're good enough to be one. :D

Nicholas
Nukascar1
Arani
Biomac 92
Buffy
Libre
Banana
WildSimba
TheLionPrince
VitanisMate
TheRoguePrince
Regulus
SimbaNalaScarZira123
Vish
Kuna
Unikels
OuRaion
Moka
werewolfgrrly
Tora
Juliette
James
KristinaKiara
Aina
DGFone
SharpLionson
wolfishgirl
Chocolate Chip Cookies

Warm in your belly!

Nickname(s): Wolfishgirl, Narm, Annoying girl, Alien, Angel...
Pride Points: 26

Postby Kitva Hyperlink » September 13th, 2012, 5:59 am

[quote="wolfishgirl"]There's a bottom limit????[/quote]
[quote="DGFone"][quote="TheBlackCatCrossing"]Should the minimum be 1000 words and the max 3000? 4000? Unlimited? What if the author can admit it as a 'sample'?[/quote]

That sounds like a good idea. If we can keep the stories to be within two thousand words of each other or so, I will be able to raise the limit by creating a minimum requirement, and as long as the min is not ridiculous, there shouldn't be any problems.

Now, I know that some authors might argue that some of the best writing they read was hyper-compressed 100 word pieces or so. From personal experience, I have never seen a really short piece that stood out compared to excellently written longer stories. Also, the 1000 word requirement will mean that people won't simply smash their keyboards for two minutes and call it a story.

So for now, this looks like the game plan: The limit will be raised to 3000 words, and there will be a 1000 word 'barrier to entry'.[/quote]
Info Bolded
Hello Guy's
I have left MLK now
Kitva Hyperlink
LinkCoolKitva

Check Y'all

PreviousNext

Return to MLK Writing Contest