Dragon Quest.

Dragon Quest.

Postby Elton John » September 14th, 2016, 12:50 pm

One of the big role playing game franchises in Japan, and arguably the biggest outside outside of Pokemon and Final Fantasy, we have Dragon Quest.

Dragon Quest had its humble beginnings as a light rpg alternative to a Canadian rpg franchise that was so popular in Japan, Wizardry. Wizardry influences can be seen often in early DQ games. Franchise staples include pure turn based gameplay, art by Akira Toriyama of dragonball fame. Common criticisms include 'not getting with the times', too much grinding and not enough focus on narrative. Fans of the franchise like the classic feel, especially as many rpgs slowly drifted away from most of what made them originally appealing. The overall plot is rarely important, the games typically have a large number of viginettes that are mostly well written.

The franchise never caught on in the west in the way that Pokemon, final fantasy, or other big name japanese rpgs did. Dragon Quest was called Dragon Warrior in America until the eight installment on the PS2 due to licensing issues. DQ1 on the nes got an American release many years after the Japanese release.

Dragon Quest 7 on the PS1 tanked in sales, which caused them to can the DQ4 remake American release.

Until recently hope was lost for fans of the franchise in the west. Dragon Quest X, despite getting several releases on different consoles failed to leave Asia. Then the franchise started getting iOS ports, then last year Dragon Quest Heroes (dynasty warriors spinoff) PS4 got a western release, Dragon Quest 7 remake was announced for american release 3 years after Japanese release and is finally arriving in a few days. Dragon Quest 8 3DS, Dragon Quest Builders, and Dragon Quest Heroes 2 are slated for western release. When it rains it pours.

Which gives hope that DQ11, in development for the 3DS, PS4, and The Nintendo NX, might get an English release.

I won't go over individual games in great detail, I will say that my current favorites are 3, 5 and 8.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Return to The Den