Mass Effect: Andromeda Gameplay Trailer

Mass Effect: Andromeda Gameplay Trailer

Postby FireAndSun » December 3rd, 2016, 5:07 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIzH6UcoW4

I think this looks pretty cool for the most part. It definitely looks more open and less linear than the original Mass Effect games. I love the environments. They're so much more colorful and lush than the original ME environments. It creates a great new aesthetic. Combat also looks a lot more dynamic. I also like that the dialogue options look more varied than the ones in the original games. The paragon/renegade system was way too restrictive. Also, a female turian companion! Yes! I like how her visor feels like an allusion to Garrus as well. Sources I've looked at says her name is Vetra, and the krogan she and Sara Ryder are with is named is Drack.

The things that either bug me or potentially worry me are the crafting system and the facial animations. I'm not a huge fan of crafting systems, but I tolerate them if they're not too obtrusive or time consuming. Crafting seems like it's going to be an inescapable aspect of the game, which I can tolerate, but I do worry resource hunting is going to take an insane amount of time. I hope I don't have to scan rocks or whatever for hours before I finally find the rare-a-tanium I need to make the armor I need or want. And the facial animation definitely needs some polishing. It looks so unnatural. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, since the game has yet to be released, and thus likely isn't fully finished yet. But dear lord. All in all, though, this looks like a pretty cool game.

Edit: Also, if this in the wrong section, and is supposed to go in the link section, please move. :P
FireAndSun

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 25

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Gameplay Trailer

Postby Elton John » December 3rd, 2016, 1:15 pm

After Dragon Age Inquisition i'm really worried about this game. Most open world games suffer from large empty spaces, a lack of meaningful content, boring mmo filler sidequests, etc. DAI not only had that, it also had a boring story and the gameplay just wasn't fun.

They said ME andromeda will learn from DAI's mistakes, I hope they are right.

I don't hate or love linear games, they often have their own set of problems. My favorite kind of world design is in between linear and completely open. The zelda games are excellent at providing just the right amount of exploration and good content.

I love mass effect 1-3. Mostly mass effect 2. The loyalty quests were deeply tied into the story itself. I love how the game has you constantly deciding on whether or not to be a lapdog for the illusive man (who is incredibly shady from the start) or do what is right for the galaxy as a whole while being painted as someone gone rogue just because they are doing stuff for cerberus, while trying to prove to old friends from me1 that who you are is still the same.

It also paints a tale of how good people can end up working for some pretty vile people (jacob and miranda) and how Jack could have easily been a stupidly edgy character but somehow made her likeable and even relatable.

I tried playing as male shepard once. Fem shep has a much better voice actor. Jennifer Hale provides one of the finest performances I have seen in a videogame.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby FireAndSun » December 3rd, 2016, 6:30 pm

Yeah, I do share a lot of those concerns, especially since ME has never really about open-world exploration anyway. It's always been about choices, character interaction, and story. ME was always rather linear, though, which did feel kind of restrictive. I'm hoping this game learns how to strike a balance. I'd love a chance to explore the worlds and places I visit in more depth, but I don't want it to start feeling like a long and empty MMO. If I want that, I could just play a MMO.
FireAndSun

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby KionScar » December 3rd, 2016, 9:15 pm

Eh, the first part of the trilogy was fairly good. Though they messed up with #3 and it's ending(s), also as that game acts as if one hasn't completed it on completing it - compared to, say ME2…

So, I am a little wary. :/
KionScar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 10

Postby FireAndSun » December 3rd, 2016, 10:29 pm

Yeah, I get that. ME3 was... mixed to say the least, especially the endings. The fact I see some things in this trailer that do kind of worry me don't help either. But I don't like to assume the worst about something that hasn't even come out yet. I do tend to keep my expectations kind of low for anything I'm interested in, so I'm not overly disappointed by it if it sucks. But I am at least paying attention to it in the hopes it is good.
FireAndSun

Postby Carl » December 4th, 2016, 2:07 am

What I played of DAI was great imo, and this game looks pretty great too. I could never bring myself to play ME3 but I loved the first two. I still want to be able to play as a Turian in the main game of one of these, though.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Elton John » December 4th, 2016, 9:12 am

I'm anti open-world, so it takes a lot for an ow title to impress me.

I even liked da2 more than inquisition. And DA2 was......

Still love the first one.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Return to The Den