Night

Night

Postby Misiziri » March 20th, 2012, 12:39 am

The true story of the man who survived the Holocaust. If you haven't read it, no matter what your interests, you probably should.

I thought the book was a great insight into how poorly the Jews were treated in the Holocauts. It's heart-breaking D: Did anyone else read it?
Misiziri

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): La'Vie
Pride Points: 168

Re: Night

Postby Regulus » March 20th, 2012, 1:23 am

I read it in my English class once. Then, the next year, I read it again. XD

If there's one book anyone should ever read, it's this. I honestly didn't find it to be sad, but it was life changing, even the second time. Just after reading the first few pages, it's pretty obvious how it ends: everyone he knows ends up dying.

I say it was life changing, because when I closed the book, I couldn't believe that all that actually happened. Less than 70 years ago. In a modern and civilized country. It really made me think. What if the democracy we think we have doesn't really even exist? The Germans were living a lie; most of them were unaware of the whole situation. We don't really know anything.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Re: Night

Postby TheWhistlerify » August 19th, 2012, 6:23 pm

I read it last year. Even when I was in Poland with my school a few weeks ago and even though we've been in the extermination camps and inside the actual gas chambers, I still can't believe that it all happened, and my entire grandfather's family (which was of almost 100 members if not more) died there in Auschwitz in that same gas chamber I entered. We've also been to Birkenau, Majdanek and Treblinka as well as the remains of some ghettos.

There's nothing left of Treblinka except for monuments in memory of the Jewish communities from which Jews were sent to that hellhole. Not only that, but it's also surrounded by trees, and there's even grass there as if nothing ever happened! You really can't comprehend that almost 900,000 people were murdered there even when standing at the very spot. Despite how alive the place looks now, it's as silent as a graveyard. There are no singing birds. If you dig in the ground a little, your hands will become dirty with ashes.
Sometimes I simply sit down and write because I cannot help it. Who knows, perhaps one day something will come out of it. Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
My 'The Lion King' fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10370841/1/
My 'Pokémon' fanfic: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9017329/1/
TheWhistlerify
Bananas

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Good source of potassium

Nickname(s): TW
Pride Points: 22

Return to The Den