General Book Chat

General Book Chat

Postby FlipMode » January 8th, 2013, 10:09 pm

1) Does anyone have a goodreads account? lol. Always looking for more reading buddies on there.

2) If you want to make a recommendation in here - post why you recommend the book at least, blank recommendations are less likely to be taken up.

3) If you want to ask a recommendation, maybe include things like genre and a few books related to what you like. I.E "Looking for a dystopia story like The Hunger Games" (WHICH BTW IF THAT IS YOU, GO READ DIVERGENT, MOVIE COMING OUT NEXT YEAR AND ALL!) *ahem*

4.) Reviews of what you have recently read are welcome. Short and sweet does it, though. No need to go into too much detail on them in here.

5.) Was thinking of starting a book club of sorts, see this thread for more on that - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27295
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Re: General Book Chat

Postby Woeler » January 8th, 2013, 11:12 pm

There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby FlipMode » January 9th, 2013, 12:22 am

Added. lol
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Buffy » February 20th, 2013, 6:36 am

GoodReads? Of course, add me, yo!
http://www.goodreads.com/xbuffyx

Recommendations?
Marley and Me by John Grogan. It's a true story, and made me cry my eyes out, but it also made me laugh and it's definitely one of my favourites.

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. EVERYONE should have read this series at least once. It's my favourite book series and it's just honestly SO GOOD. Don't get turned off because it's a children's book, it's freaking amazing!

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Okay, admittedly I thought this was about competitive eating when I first heard of it. However, these books are pretty awesome and with one movie out and the remaining still in progress, it's definitely worth reading.

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. This is one I read recently, and being a huge fan of the movies I wasn't sure if I'd like it as much. But honestly it's a great book which I enjoyed very much, even thought it was kind of scientific at times. I'm now on the sequel called "The Lost World".

Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. These books are quite big and quite long, but they're epic fantasy novels. I got interested in the series from the TV show Legend of the Seeker. I'm currently on book 2, and loving it!

Recommendations for me?
I generally enjoy fantasy books and stuff, but I also enjoy animal books and any book in general that will make you FEEL something. Which basically means... I want to read good books. Suggestions?

Recent Reviews?

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
A paleontologist, a paleobotanist and a mathematician, along with a few others are invited to an island off of Costa Rica. When they get there they find out that scientists have been able to create genetically engineered dinosaurs and basically brought the giant creatures back from extinction. Things seem to be running smoothly until all the systems go down, causing the T-Rex among others to get out of their enclosures, causing all kinds of havoc. Now it's a race against time to get control back before it's too late.

I really enjoyed the book. While it was sometimes very scientific and complicated, I understood the basic meaning by the end of it. I am also a big fan of dinosaurs, so this was right up my alley. I found the book very exciting and I had trouble putting it down. I would definitely recommend this one!

Book club?
I'd definitely be interested, but I'm currently unemployed and generally broke, so I may not be able to get books for the month's reading session. But hey, if I can get a hold of the book I'd definitely be interested! :D
Buffy
once i present, but then

everything changed when the fire nation attacked.

Pride Points: 180

Return to The Den