The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars

Postby Lauren » July 5th, 2013, 2:39 am

The story revolves around a 16 year old teenage girl named Hazel Grace Lancaster who has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Thyroid cancer since the age of 13 and her entire life begans to change when she meets a 17 year old boy from her Support Group named Augustus Waters and soon befriends another cancer victim.

I was so happy to have spent my time reading this tragedy between two teens. The writing and emotions captured within the story is intelligent and realistic enough for you to relate to and makes you think about their determinations. The characters and storyline are great and I cared about them so much. Plus, there are certain twists to the story that impress you. I did cry at certain scenes in the book, but you will sense the drama that's there. <3

Has anybody read the novel by John Green? :)
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: The Fault in Our Stars

Postby FlipMode » July 9th, 2013, 9:38 pm

It was John Green's brilliant writing that made this book, I had to double check the fictional books and such were not in fact real books. It was a very believable story.
I hear a film adaption is underway.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby SophieCub » July 10th, 2013, 11:41 am

My friend has read it, so I'm thinking about getting it myself. :)
SophieCub
Childhood Spirit

Nickname(s): SC, Sofaloaf, Soph
Pride Points: 139

Postby SophieCub » August 2nd, 2013, 7:16 pm

So sorry for double posting, I really am. But I just finished reading it a good 15 minutes ago and I'm speechless. It made me smile and cry at the same time.. the last words on the last page that is. I can't wait to see the movie! I will get tickets right away. I'm really happy I read it, makes me want to write haha. Anyone else enjoy it?
SophieCub
Childhood Spirit

Nickname(s): SC, Sofaloaf, Soph
Pride Points: 139

Postby FlipMode » August 8th, 2013, 9:53 am

It didn't hit me emotionally as hard as it does to some others. But I was hooked on the superb writing, I did enjoy the book, I just also kind of suspected an ending like that.
FlipMode

Postby Ninaroja » January 9th, 2014, 7:37 pm

I had wanted to read it for the longest time, but I'm not sure I'll be able to now. I lost my 17 year old friend to Leukemia this past September and I just think it would be too real for me to cope with. :(

But you never know, since the film is coming out I might read it before going to see it.
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby FlipMode » January 9th, 2014, 8:46 pm

^I would say that, based one the way in which it is presented in the story and the actual characters, you would probably be okay reading it. Yeah that kind of thing is obviously a part of it but the way in which it is used to tell the story and the fact that it only adds an extra dimension to the characters rather than detracting is a good move on the part of the author. It's more about the romance side of the plot than the cancer part, it's referenced quite a bit but the characters seem to acknowledge and even at times take a light-hearted approach to it all. It's all very clever and well written.
FlipMode

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » January 9th, 2014, 8:50 pm

I really want to read it; I had it for Christmas and I haven't found time yet. I've heard many a great thing at John Green and his writing so yeah ^^
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby KingCub » January 11th, 2014, 7:44 pm

I really really good read! I ended up finishing it on a flight home this past vacation, and needless to say I was crying in the middle of a plane! But either way, a really good book. I did not feel like I got connected to the characters as much as some other books that I have read, but the characters where still very good and deep at times.
You are what you love, not who loves you.
Thanks Regulus for the lovely siggy!
Other Things~
Spoiler: show

Thank you Kib and SimbasMate!

Photography | Ask Me Stuff | Facebook | My Computer
KingCub

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KC, Ty
Pride Points: 28

Postby FlipMode » January 15th, 2014, 12:45 am

Yip I love the part where...

Spoiler: show
Augustus uses a non lit cigarette as a way of signalling that cancer will never hold him back from doing what he wants in life
that is just incredibly good character building. You learn more about him from that sentence than even the descriptions of his appearance let on in the book. If I can learn more about a character on how they react to different situations as opposed to just a description of their character then that is good writing I would think :)
FlipMode

Next

Return to The Den