Shakespeare

Re: Shakespeare

Postby TheLionPrince » February 11th, 2012, 2:11 am

I honestly think Shakespeare lives up to his title: Greatest playwright of all time!

He combines so many themes into his tragedies such as guilt, power, love, personal destruction, greed, personal ambition, death, and etc. Not to mention, if there was no Shakespeare, then, The Lion King probably wouldn't have its emotionally compelling story it has now, in which TLK was inspired from.

So far, I've read:

Romeo and Juliet
Julius Caesar
Two graphic novels of Macbeth
A graphic novel of Hamlet
A graphic novel of A Midsummer's Night Dream
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby StarlightLioness » February 18th, 2012, 8:01 am

I love Shakepeare. I even opted to take a course on some of his works when I was in college. It was an awesome class.

My favorites are (in order):

Hamlet
Macbeth
King Lear

I've also read:

Titus Andronicus
Romeo and Juliet
Julius Caesar
The Merchant of Venice
Othello (liked this one a lot too)
Various sonnets
"Simba, let me tell you something my father told me. Look at the stars. The great kings of the past look down on us from those stars. So whenever you feel alone, just remember that those kings will always be there to guide you. And so will I." ~ Mufasa
StarlightLioness
Super Geek

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Nickname(s): Deadly Chakram everywhere else
Pride Points: 14

Postby Lauren » April 1st, 2012, 9:37 pm

I'm not into the whole Shakspeare thing, but I have read several of his works in school such as Much Ado About Nothing and The Taming of the Shrew. Now in English, I'm reading Romeo and Juliet.
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Regulus » April 1st, 2012, 11:09 pm

I never really read any Shakespeare, only the Cliffs Notes. :P

I'm sure, if I was living during that age I'd appreciate his works a lot more, but his lack of using modern English really frustrated me to the point where I couldn't really enjoy it.

Which makes me think, in 500 years from now, what will people think of the literature of today? Or our language in general?
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby cleargreenwater » April 2nd, 2012, 1:05 am

I've always ended up enjoying the "Greatest Hits" I've had to read over the course school, but I'm content that the ones I read there are the most famous for a reason & am satisfied with the "Best Of" knowledge I have.

I wouldn't go out of my way to look up and read other works by him voluntarily, though. Althought one I hear about alot that I didn't get introduced to through school, "A Midsommer's Night Dream", I might eventually cave on someday since it's still kind of popular in stage performance. Eventually that curiousity will probably win out, but for now I'm good.
-------------------------------------

The Event that BROKE MLK...

Avatar artwork of my character by NQN, commissioned & used with permission.
TLKFAA account: http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/ClearGreenWater/?+
cleargreenwater
Submersible Hyena

...Surfaces Occassionally.

Nickname(s): CGW
Pride Points: 39

Postby TheWhistlerify » May 23rd, 2012, 4:42 pm

I've read:
Hamlet
Macbeth
Julius Caesar
Antony and Cleopatra
Romeo and Juliet
The Tempest
Richard II
Henry VIII
A Midsummer Night's Dream
The Merchant of Venice
Othello
King Lear

I've watched:
Hamlet
Macbeth
Julius Caesar
Othello
The Merchant of Venice
The Tempest
Richard II
Antony and Cleopatra.

I even have this giant fancy book as a proof of me being a huge fan
http://www.google.co.il/imgres?start=91 ... 80&bih=877
Sometimes I simply sit down and write because I cannot help it. Who knows, perhaps one day something will come out of it. Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
My 'The Lion King' fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10370841/1/
My 'Pokémon' fanfic: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9017329/1/
TheWhistlerify
Bananas

Good source of potassium

Nickname(s): TW
Pride Points: 22

Postby Buffy » June 3rd, 2012, 10:30 pm

I read Merchant of Venice last year. And this year I read Othello.
I must say, Merchant of Venice was easier to understand. Because I didn't really understand Othello until the end. And even then I didn't understand it fully! XD
Buffy
once i present, but then

everything changed when the fire nation attacked.

Pride Points: 180

Postby Woeler » June 10th, 2012, 10:56 pm

I had to read Mabeth for school. I nearly died because it was so boring.

Never again, just never.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

Postby TheWhistlerify » August 17th, 2012, 8:59 pm

[quote="Sauda"]I love Shakesphere
My grandfather bought me the Complete Tales leatherbound book from Barnes and Noble as a New Years present.
I absolutely love it, personally my favorite stories are Julius Ceasar, Hamlet and Macbeth.
[/quote]

I also have that edition of Shakespeare (I have like 12 more from that leatherbound series)

As for Shakespeare, I've read and watched many of his plays. I read and watched Macbeth, Othello, Hamlet (2 different film adaptions, one by Laurence Olivier and the other by Kenneth Branagh), A Midsummer Night's Dream, Antony and Cleopatra, The Merchant of Venice and Julius Caesar.
Sometimes I simply sit down and write because I cannot help it. Who knows, perhaps one day something will come out of it. Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
My 'The Lion King' fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10370841/1/
My 'Pokémon' fanfic: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9017329/1/
TheWhistlerify
Bananas

Good source of potassium

Nickname(s): TW

Postby Dark Huntress » April 25th, 2013, 6:46 pm

I've read Twelfth Night, Romeo and Juliet, and A Midsummer's Night Dream, and I have yet to start highschool :D A Midsummer's Night's Dream was probably the one I found most entertaining. (My favorite Shakespeare movies are Taming of the Shrew with Elizabeth Taylor and Much Ado About Nothing with Keanu Reeves as Don John).
Thx Silver ^^ Image
My MLK Family and Friends: show
Sisters/BFs: Scarsmate, Meeko, Kiki, Redkite, and SimbaObsessor
Uncle: Tora
Godfather: James
Brother: Realmofthedragon
Mother: Wolfishgirl
Aunt: Unikels
ADORBZ [fluffy!] kitty friend: OuRaion

Credits Where Due: show
Thank-you, Darth Julie for the amazing avatar!!!
And thx, Silver for the kickbutt siggy!

My Philosophy: show
Love with every bit of who you really are, not with who you pretend to be.

FanFics:
Feedback appreciated! Please check it out!
Bond of Brothers

All artists, please join me on my art odyssey!
Dark Huntress
...And this Mortal...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

...Shall put on Immortality....

Nickname(s): TJ, DH, et cetera

Previous

Return to The Den