What books do you want to read in 2014?

What books do you want to read in 2014?

Postby Buffy » January 5th, 2014, 2:58 pm

2013 is over and 2014 is here, which means it's the beginning of a new reading year! Yay!

Do you have a goal of how many books you want to read? As of right now, my goal is 25 books, simply because I'm a bit of a slow reader and I don't want to stress myself about reading 'enough books'. I may increase it if I achieve my goal sooner than expected, but I really don't know if I will considering I read about 20 books in 2013.

Also, do you have some specific books you plan on reading this year? I definitely have some books that I want to read this year. For starters, I want to re-read the Harry Potter series, starting with the 2nd book since I re-read the 1st one in late 2013. I also want to read Rainbow Rowell's books; Fangirl and Eleanor & Park because I've heard amazing things about these books. In fact, I just started reading Fangirl. Haven't gotten very far into it, but so far, so good.

I definitely want to read the Across the Universe series by Beth Revis this year. I read the first book, Across the Universe, sometime last year, but I didn't get around to reading the rest of the series and I thought the first book was absolutely phenomenal. Definitely will be adding that to my reading list this year.
The Hobbit is another book I plan on reading this year. I haven't seen any of the Hobbit films yet, but I think I'd like to try reading the book first and then giving the movies a go.

I think the last book that I definitely want to read this year is The Book Thief. I got it for Christmas from my grandmother and I've been wanting to read it for a while, so I'm super excited. However, since I just finished Allegiant I'm taking a tiny break to read some happier books before I get around to reading this one.

How about you? Do you have any specific books you'd like to read this year? What are they?
Buffy
once i present, but then

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

everything changed when the fire nation attacked.

Pride Points: 180

Re: What books do you want to read in 2014?

Postby FlipMode » January 5th, 2014, 7:10 pm

I never really set an amount of books to read. There's no point really, reading is something I enjoy doing not something I need to push myself to actually do.
The Art Of Racing In The Rain is on my re-read list for this year just because it is freaking beautifully written and it's sad yes but it's just enough to prove the point that the author was making with the idea and theme of it and how it relates to life, every page in that book minus a few fun comical relief chapters here and there are like metaphors for life. I read it at the end of 2012 and didn't get around to re-reading it last year but this year, probably more than ever I need to reread that.

Also will be soon re-reading Incarnate and Asunder in time for the final book in the series, Infinite. That comes out on the 28th January and ohhhh my goodness, I so can't wait to read it. First one was good, 2nd one was like the first book but on steroids and then the ending was just enough of a teaser for the finale. Brilliant stuff. For those who haven't read it, it's a Utopian romance / action / fantasy series wherein souls are reborn into new bodies when the person dies, they keep all their memories and stuff of their past life too which is really interesting at times. It's good and really deserves more recognition than it gets despite almost every review of it being positive. Probably my most hyped book of the year and a fantastic way to start what looks to be a good year of releases.

The World Of Ice And Fire - I'm sure everyone is aware of this infamous "Book that never was". Originally announced in 2006 as a companion book to the series, this book may just finally be released this year now that the Game of Thrones has really become a big hit. It's kind of a sidekick, it will go into more detailed background information on the characters and some of the series history and setting etc. Looking forward to reading and seeing some really impressive artwork as much as I am just adding it to my collection!

City of Heavenly Fire - Being the final book in the legendary Mortal Instruments series, this book has a lot riding on it's shoulders for fans (or it's paper, books don't have shoulders) and while I'm not the biggest fan, it goes without saying I am looking forward to reading it.

Champion - Legend #3. The final book in the Legend trilogy. This one came out in November 2013 actually but I was spending a lot of that month seeing Shadowfax and so never got around to reading it. But I really should have read it by now anyway, if you like The Hunger Games, you will dig this trilogy just as much I reckon. In my opinion, it's slightly better (though I DO mean slightly, THG is great). I can only describe it as such - take The Hunger Games and double everything that makes it great, you have Legend. It's The The Hunger Hunger Games Games.

Oh yes and, not to set off any fangirlisms just by mentioning it but the final book in the Heroes Of Olympus series is out this year too, The Blood of Olympus. Being a fan of Greek mythology generally, I'm pretty excited to read anything new based around it and honestly, this series is pretty darn epic anyway :D

Those are just some of the first to come to mind D:
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Tsuki » January 5th, 2014, 7:17 pm

I have way too many. I REALLY need to read Inheritance and I did start it but sometimes it's just a drag. I want to finish the Earth Children series, start the Game of Thrones series and the Hunger Games triology. Oh and the Hobbit :lol:
[center]Image
Awards and Stuff: show
ImageImage
Shared with Rilliane
Sigs by Shadowfax, Nilla, Julie, Simba's Mate, Sophiecub, Tora, Flip and Buffy <333. Avatar by Kay <3
Tsuki

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 88

Postby KingCub » January 6th, 2014, 1:08 am

I have about 20 or so books lined up that I what to read before the end of the year, but because I have been in a reading mood lately I have already finished two of them. So I might just need to add some to the list!
You are what you love, not who loves you.
Thanks Regulus for the lovely siggy!
Other Things~
Spoiler: show

Thank you Kib and SimbasMate!

Photography | Ask Me Stuff | Facebook | My Computer
KingCub

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KC, Ty
Pride Points: 28

Postby SophieCub » January 6th, 2014, 4:52 pm

Yes! Of course I have a list. :P

The Maze Runner
The Mortal Instrument Series
The Percy Jackson series
The Book Thief
The Testing
Vampire Academy

I'm sure I'll find more books over the year to read too. :)
SophieCub
Childhood Spirit

Nickname(s): SC, Sofaloaf, Soph
Pride Points: 139

Postby FlipMode » January 6th, 2014, 5:23 pm

[quote="SophieCub"]
The Mortal Instrument Series
The Book Thief
[/quote]

The Book Thief is very well written, I think you and Buffy will enjoy it...And anyone else who reads it for that matter :)
If you're going to read Mortal Instruments, you should add Infernal Devices series as well to your list. Infernal Devices is a prequel series to Mortal Instruments but part of the same overall story. That saga is actually planned to be five series of books in total.
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Postby Lauren » January 6th, 2014, 11:48 pm

I just started Looking for Alaska a few days ago within 2014 and it's really good so far. I'm loving it. :)

The Book Thief
Percy Jackson & the Olympians series
Matched trilogy
Eleanor & Park
The Chronicles or Narnia series
A Song of Ice and Fire series (AKA Game of Thrones)
Les Misérables
The Lovely Bones
Hope: A Tragedy
The Time Traveler's Wife
An Abundance of Katherines
Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Let It Snow
Divergent trilogy
Jurassic Park
The Lost World
The Diary of a Young Girl
The Guardians of Childhood: The Sandman and the War of Dreams
Rain of the Ghosts
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Eon series
Fangirl
Three Powers series
Legend trilogy
Vitro
Heroes of Olympus series
A whole sh** ton of Nicholas Sparks novels :lol:
The Program
The Maze Runner
Lauren

Return to The Den