Zazu and Scar

Zazu and Scar

Postby Carl » February 6th, 2013, 7:28 pm

I don't remember seeing a topic like this before, but if there is one, lock this, I guess.

So when I was watching TLK with my little cousin over the weekend, I thought of something. After the stampede, why isn't Zazu suspicious of Scar's behavior? Since Scar hit him, it would seem to me like he'd be suspicious. I understand for the plot he kinda needed to not seem suspicious of him, but why didn't Scar just let him go back? By the time Zazu could have returned with the lionesses, the stampede would likely be over and Simba gone.

Zazu would have had to find the lionesses first, then probably wake most of them, then he'd have to tell them what was going on and lead them back. While it seemed to take a while, the entire stampede was probably over in a handful of minutes. When the Zazu returned with the lionesses, Scar could have played panicked, and begged them to help find his nephew before he ended up like Mufasa. By that point though, Simba would likely have already disappeared with the hyenas on his tail. So why was it necessary to hit Zazu, and why wasn't Zazu suspicious afterwards?
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Re: Zazu and Scar

Postby TheBlackCatCrossing » February 6th, 2013, 7:42 pm

I always attributed it to a mild form if amnesia. It's also possible that Scar may have lied to him since Zazu did not see Scar when he hit him. I could see Scar saying that a rock hit him.
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.

Leo Buscaglia
TheBlackCatCrossing
Damnatio ad bestias

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nothing really matters-Madonna

Nickname(s): Harley Quinn
Pride Points: 27

Postby TheLionPrince » February 6th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Scar didn't let Zazu go to look for help because there's a chance he might see him kill Mufasa and attempt to murder Simba. Sure, he would have flown away before that, but Scar wasn't going to take any chances.

Zazu wasn't suspicious of Scar because first, he really didn't see Scar slap him. He was looking away from Scar, and he was slapped from the side. Zazu could have thought that he flew into the cliff. Second, because of that, Zazu most likely suffered a concussion (to go along with BlackCatCrossing's point) which is known to cause its victims to have no memory of the moments just before the accident due to a brief interruption in the short/long-term memory transfer mechanism. Third, Zazu serves as the majordomo to the monarch; he is not to question Scar or his authority in any way. He wasn't even allowed to mention Mufasa's name if he were suspicious.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby DGFone » February 6th, 2013, 9:40 pm

The only explanation I can come up with, and the one that I've seen brought up most often, is that Zazu got hit hard enough to lose memory of the event. I don't think that Scar would have been able to play it off as a rock hitting Zazu, because if you were to remember the event, getting hit by a rock should be quite different than by a lion's paw. But if Zazu won't remember it, the difference won't matter.

You also have to remember how dazed Zazu looked after he hit the rock. He was out of it for the entire stampede, easily. Which also means that it's very likely that he would also not have any memories of what happened right before as well.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby PrincessKiara » February 6th, 2013, 10:02 pm

Scar hit Zazu because Zazu said that he was going to fly and get help. And like the others have mentioned, it seems to me that Zazu got knocked out pretty good, so I reckon he wasn`t able to remember exactly what had happened later.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby Carl » February 6th, 2013, 10:10 pm

I feel kinda dumb now for not thinking of that. Yeah, thinking along those lines it does make more sense than it seemed to.
Thanks for the opinions guys.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Postby TheBlackCatCrossing » February 7th, 2013, 10:55 pm

This begs the question, did Scar count on Zazu being with Mufasa that afternoon or was Zazu a variable in his plan? He seemed surprised when Zazu said that he would go for help.
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.

Leo Buscaglia
TheBlackCatCrossing
Damnatio ad bestias

Nothing really matters-Madonna

Nickname(s): Harley Quinn
Pride Points: 27

Postby Carl » February 8th, 2013, 3:55 am

It seems like Zazu is almost always with Mufasa, so I feel like Scar should have expected he would be there. Maybe he just didn't think Zazu would be a threat?
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Postby Regulus » February 8th, 2013, 4:46 am

[quote="TheBlackCatCrossing"]This begs the question, did Scar count on Zazu being with Mufasa that afternoon or was Zazu a variable in his plan? He seemed surprised when Zazu said that he would go for help.[/quote]

As slippery as Scar's mind is, I think you may have found a plothole. But I'd rather think Scar didn't think his plans through enough. :P
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Meskhenet » February 8th, 2013, 4:55 am

[quote="Julie Skywalker"]It seems like Zazu is almost always with Mufasa, so I feel like Scar should have expected he would be there. Maybe he just didn't think Zazu would be a threat?[/quote]
Maybe he was so caught up in planning to kill Mufasa, and Simba with the hyenas that he forgot about Zazu.
Meskhenet
Let this prayer be your guide

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always remember your pride

Nickname(s): Mesk
Pride Points: 21

Next

Return to The Characters