Kovu

Re: Kovu

Postby Nitro » March 20th, 2011, 11:58 pm

^Yeah
Nitro
Green Rider

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 20

Postby TheRoguePrince » March 21st, 2011, 12:01 am

That's one of the things thats coolest about him, he knows how to take that
TheRoguePrince

Postby Nitro » March 21st, 2011, 12:23 am

Yup
Nitro
Green Rider

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 20

Postby TheRoguePrince » March 21st, 2011, 11:45 pm

Well, it's been a while since I actually outlined what I think of Kovu, wholely that is... Kovu is my favorite hero of all time, not just in the TLK series. He is a form of hero we don't often see in a story. Where most typical heroes are of the standard form, he is unique. When you look at a standard hero you see the same story pretty much every time.

The hero is raised with good morals and tought to be a leader with courage and the rest. He then experiences some tragedy, a villain steps in, much to his surprise, and destroys something, or everything he loves. This leads to a period of rebirth (ie: Simba is found by Timon and Pumbaa, but eventually gets turned back to his life) which leads to his/her return to heroism. The hero then makes a stand, but is stopped by the villain, who typically picks on the innocent bystanders, who the hero has to save... This typical story can be seen everywhere from Superman to Bambi, they're all much alike. Not to say that these stories aren't good, but these heroes are a dime-a-dozen, just too common.

Kovu on the other hand is from a new breed of heroes. These heroes don't always seem the type. They are often unpredictable, smart, and of the same type as villains, but obviously in the end not evil. A hero of this genre cannot be destroyed in the same way as a normal hero, most of the typical rhetoric of villains killing innocents that the hero loves doesn't work, because the hero grew up with villains... Kovu, I feel, is the ultimate example of this brand of new hero. His mother is the arch villain of TLK2: SP, and his adopted father was one of the most wicked villains of all time. We never really know who truely sired Kovu, all we know is that it was some mysterious rogue. He grows up in the outlands, exiled with the others for a crime he never commited. His mother trained him as a weapon, the final tool of evil to bring down the line of kings. Yet he doesn't. Good is innate, despite the lifestyle and his training, when an old friend turned love comes to call he is adapted into something rarely seen in life. A hero with a dark past, good heart, and the skills to defeat his opponent. Unfortunately, the main opposition for a hero of this kind is not an outside force, it's usually themselves. All that evil doesn't just go away, there is a lot of inner turmoil to be overcome along the way. It is in this that Kovu excells. He is wise despite his youth and when his battle is won, turns out to be a very deep character.

Many people think Kovu is a "hot" guy who falls in love with a naive princess and wants nothing more than to reproduce, but I think this is wrong. Kovu is intelligent, strong willed, and strong of body. He is intensely good despite his upbringing and is even more of a hero than Simba, in my opinion. He may be young, but Kovu is a legend in the making.
TheRoguePrince

Postby Misiziri » March 21st, 2011, 11:49 pm

To me, Kovu is kind of a 'meh' character... to me, he's just kind of a cliche, 'expected that' character. Though, unlike Timone and SP Simba, he isn't at all unbearable and actaully somewhat likeable.
Misiziri

Nickname(s): La'Vie
Pride Points: 168

Postby Harvs » March 23rd, 2011, 3:45 pm

@ Rogue: Brilliant brilliant BRILLIANT post. You got Kovu down to a T. Incredible post, describing every little detail of Kovu. You just said it all my friend. :nukasing:

"A film should engage, not distract. expand, not contract. Inform, not retract. Redefine, not reenact."

Credit to my awesome signature goes to Twin.
Harvs
The old Simba66

The new HarvstootH

Nickname(s): 66, S66, Simby
Pride Points: 54

Postby TheRoguePrince » March 23rd, 2011, 4:10 pm

[quote="LavishLioness"]To me, Kovu is kind of a 'meh' character... to me, he's just kind of a cliche, 'expected that' character. Though, unlike Timone and SP Simba, he isn't at all unbearable and actaully somewhat likeable.[/quote]

May I ask in what way he was an "expected that" character?
TheRoguePrince

Postby FlipMode » March 23rd, 2011, 4:53 pm

[quote="TheRoguePrince"][quote="LavishLioness"]To me, Kovu is kind of a 'meh' character... to me, he's just kind of a cliche, 'expected that' character. Though, unlike Timone and SP Simba, he isn't at all unbearable and actaully somewhat likeable.[/quote]

May I ask in what way he was an "expected that" character?[/quote]

I know you weren't asking me, but I agree with LL, to an extent. I don't think he as a character was too predictable, but more so his role in the story was. If you watch The Lion King before you watch The Lion King 2, it does seem fairly obvious that he is going to fall in love with Kiara. Sure he had a pretty good sense of character development but it was still predictable, I thought so anyway.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby TheRoguePrince » March 23rd, 2011, 4:56 pm

Hm, the connection was pretty easy to sense, but she was referring to the character. That was where I had my falling out with the post, I agree that the role he plays was predictable, but he was a developing character to an extent that didn't really have to be. I mean, it would have been pretty easy to cast a character that fit his role without the need of that much evolution.
TheRoguePrince

Postby FlipMode » March 23rd, 2011, 5:02 pm

Yeah I see your point there but I am glad he did show that much evoloution though, because there are other more bland characters in the story (a whole different topic :D).
Out of context: Your new avatar looks pretty cool, Arrows. I love how so many threads always become full of S66's GIFs haha.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

PreviousNext

Return to The Characters