"Call of the Guard" Lyrics?

"Call of the Guard" Lyrics?

Postby Panpardus » November 24th, 2016, 7:00 am

We wouldn't happen to have any Swahili speakers/people familiar enough with the language on the forum to translate the lyrics to the song, would we? It doesn't help much that I have yet to see any lyrics being posted on any websites like has been done for the other movies (at least the first two), and it seems like most Swahili-to-English translators are a lot more inconsistent than Zulu/Xhosa translations, which I actually find pretty surprising.

Completely random side note; if you listen closely, you can hear someone shifting in their squeaky chair about 30 seconds into the piece when the French horns start playing. This is why I always prefer to play standing up.
Last edited by Panpardus on November 24th, 2016, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Re: "Call of the Guard" Lyrics?

Postby Gaze » November 24th, 2016, 5:59 pm

sorry I'm no help, but wanted to drop in and say I've really been longing for this too!
Gaze
TLK collector

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

and bad poster

Pride Points: 26

Postby moonsugar33 » November 24th, 2016, 10:53 pm

Same! It's such a shame it isn't subtitled. Kids could totally sing along to it if they had a little direction.
moonsugar33

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 9

Postby HasiraKali » November 25th, 2016, 2:53 am

I ordered a songbook with sheet music for a bunch of the songs. It should be here on Sunday. They usually have lyrics on them. We shall see.
We are so much more complicated than our names.
If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.
Lea Halalela Lion King Forums
HasiraKali

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Disney Dreamin'...

Nickname(s): Manda
Pride Points: 24

Postby SimbaPrescott » November 25th, 2016, 8:27 pm

[quote="HasiraKali"]I ordered a songbook with sheet music for a bunch of the songs. It should be here on Sunday. They usually have lyrics on them. We shall see.[/quote]
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I can confirm it has the lyrics. One of the Lion Guard wiki members added the first page of lyrics from it. Still not sure if it's the long version or the TV version lyrics, though :?

Link to sample sheet!
Image is an Epic Mickey concept art. We could have had this in EM3. I still want it.
SimbaPrescott
I laugh in the face of danger.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

He told me no one could defeat me...

Nickname(s): Kari, Simba, Prescott
Pride Points: 27

Postby Panpardus » November 27th, 2016, 8:01 am

[quote="SimbaPrescott"][quote="HasiraKali"]I ordered a songbook with sheet music for a bunch of the songs. It should be here on Sunday. They usually have lyrics on them. We shall see.[/quote]
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I can confirm it has the lyrics. One of the Lion Guard wiki members added the first page of lyrics from it. Still not sure if it's the long version or the TV version lyrics, though :?

Link to sample sheet![/quote]

This is for the TV version. The translation websites are failing me yet again, but it's cool to have at least some of the words up so I can properly pronounce them when I start singing to myself...
Panpardus

Postby Squeely » January 23rd, 2017, 8:15 am

So, Hasira, anything more from the songbook? I too would love to know the words!
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Panpardus » June 16th, 2017, 9:33 pm

So I was able to ask a friend from Kenya if she could translate it, and she tried her best, though the sound mixing is such that a lot of the words get muddled and too hard to make out. Here's what she was able to hear from the full version, from the beginning (note that this is more of a rough translation, and occasionally there's a repeated syllable (RS)):

Na simba kulindana (16x) = "And lions to protect one another"

Njoo wamama kumbe, kumbe = "Come mothers lo, lo"
Njoo wamama tuimbe, tuimbe = "Come mothers sing, sing"
Mama kumbe = "Truly truly" or "It is true"
Kweli kweli, mama kumbe = "Really really, (it is true/truly truly)"
Kweli, kweli, kweli = "Really, really, really"

Tutazame -zame -zame = "Let us observe" ("-zame" is just a repeated syllable)
Tutazame -zame -zame = "Let us observe"
[unclear word]

[unclear lyrics here]
[unclear lyrics here]
[unclear lyrics here]
Zama zama = "Era era"

Tusaidie sisiwe = "Help us we, we"
Zama zama [RS] = "Era era [RS]"

The middle section after that gets too blurred for her to make out individual words. The clapping breakdown section is a repeat of the first part:

Mama kumbe = "Truly truly" or "It is true"
Kweli kweli, mama kumbe = "Really really, (it is true/truly truly)"
Kweli, kweli, kweli = "Really, really, really"

Repeated, with interjected words and syllables

Tutazame -zame -zame = "Let us observe" ("-zame" is just a repeated syllable)
Tutazame -zame -zame = "Let us observe"
[unclear word]

[unclear lyrics here]
[unclear lyrics here]
[unclear lyrics here]
Na simba kulindana = "And lions to protect one another"

The bridge and the main theme here is too blurry, but the very last part of the song is a repeat of the previos section just before the bridge.

[unclear lyrics here]
[unclear lyrics here]
[unclear lyrics here]
Na simba kulindana = "And lions to protect one another"

Like I said, some parts of the song are too cluttered to make out the required syllables needed to properly translate the whole thing, but if she or someone else is ever able to pick up on it, I'll update them here.

Update 1: Added the line "Na simba kulindana" and its associated stanzas, currently still undeciphered.
Last edited by Panpardus on June 19th, 2017, 1:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Panpardus

Postby Elton John » June 16th, 2017, 11:50 pm

It sounds like, just like the circle of life, for the non-english vocals they chose ones that flowed well over being meaningful or making sense.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Panpardus » June 17th, 2017, 12:21 am

Ha, I don't think the non-English vocals in any of the films' big scores really directly described the story itself. They always kinda danced around or played into some deeper theme with their more poetic meanings, but they never seem to address the actual story in the way that a 'proper' musical number would. I kinda like that, actually.

I'm very curious to see if I can get my other Swahili-speaking friend's feedback on it; she's from Tanzania, and apparently the Swahili spoken there is more "proper" than the Kenyan version, so we might get some slightly more meaningful literal translations, assuming that Sarah Mirza was working based on Tanzanian Swahili as opposed to Kenyan Swahili. Might also help with deciphering the words in the more instrument-heavy sections; a lot of African languages rely on various intonations and ways of pronouncing non-vowel sounds, so obscuring that with a lot of instrumental stuff makes it difficult for even native speakers to clearly pick up on what's being said.

Really wonder why Disney doesn't at least provide lyrics when they do songs in non-Western European languages.
Panpardus

Next

Return to The Lion Guard