New Episode "Ono's Idol"

Re: New Episode "Ono's Idol"

Postby gothprincesskiara » February 26th, 2017, 5:22 am

[quote="PridelandsPhantom"]I got to watch it today and it wasn't so bad. It's funny someone mentioned Lockhart from Harry Potter because that's exactly what I was thinking watching Hadithi :lol: Since Hadithi admitted he didn't invent the spin, who did all the real work and let him take the credit? How did he get away with fooling everyone including Simba and Nala? Speaking of that, where was Kiara in this episode? Considering they were going to do a royal ceremony shouldn't she be there? My favorite part of the episode was the little elephant telling Beshte he was still his favorite hero awww :) The flock of birds was pretty impressive and you're right the animation has improved a lot, but that tends to happen when shows gain more popularity and have more funding for better animation. If you watch anime, you usually see animation improvement towards the middle of the anime. I like Ono and it's nice seeing him getting his own story, although as others said it could have been fleshed out a lot better.

I especially thought of Lockhart when Hadithi said "Tell them what they want to hear." The way the eagle was obsessed with his good looks only added to that.[/quote]

Kiara may have been busy with something else, she cant attend every special event
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby Elton John » February 26th, 2017, 8:25 pm

My completely rational, honest view of why Kiara wasn't there.

IN THE BATTLE FOR ROYAL CUB DOMINANCE FOR PRIDE ROCK, actual real events that really happened. Honest!

Kiara tells Kion prior to the episode

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6JGp7Meg42U

Kion, not phased by Kiara at all responds

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xR-Lh1LzLPw

Kiara then tells Kion after the episode...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NriOZ6ofj_Q

Kion then exclaims to Kiara!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=09cnACR_DNs

The two had reconciled. Scar, who had been watching the events of the past two months, trying his best to bring Kion to the side of evil gets frustrated and says

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ftmi9VYv720

Which leads to season 2 being an all out battle between ghost scar and the lion guard involving The Avengers, The Defenders, the justice league, kimba the white lion, and the burger king kids club!
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Ninclow » February 26th, 2017, 8:44 pm

[quote="PridelandsPhantom"]I got to watch it today and it wasn't so bad. It's funny someone mentioned Lockhart from Harry Potter because that's exactly what I was thinking watching Hadithi :lol: Since Hadithi admitted he didn't invent the spin, who did all the real work and let him take the credit? How did he get away with fooling everyone including Simba and Nala? Speaking of that, where was Kiara in this episode? Considering they were going to do a royal ceremony shouldn't she be there? My favorite part of the episode was the little elephant telling Beshte he was still his favorite hero awww :) The flock of birds was pretty impressive and you're right the animation has improved a lot, but that tends to happen when shows gain more popularity and have more funding for better animation. If you watch anime, you usually see animation improvement towards the middle of the anime. I like Ono and it's nice seeing him getting his own story, although as others said it could have been fleshed out a lot better.

I especially thought of Lockhart when Hadithi said "Tell them what they want to hear." The way the eagle was obsessed with his good looks only added to that.[/quote]

Ono: Actually I would have to say I am your biggest fan.
Hadithi: My biggest fan? (Chuckle) Are you sure? As you can see, I have many!

First I thought: "What an a-hole!", but then I remembered how Lockhart always seemed to be literary and utterly oblivious to the reactions he elicited from other people, or misinterpreted them completely. So I figured Hadithi similarly simply was vain and didn't realize what he said was less than courteous.

ALSO...

If Hadithi didn't exist, wouldn't that voice have fit very well for re-casting the voice of Zazu? I would much prefer to hear "duties of the king" sung by John O'Hurley than Jeff Bennett.
Ninclow

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 2

Postby Kallo » February 27th, 2017, 5:12 am

Honestly, I'm not seeing THAT many parallels between Hadithi and Lockhart, other than the obvious "my celebrated accomplishments are nothing but lies" bit. Lockhart was just basically a goofball character who was barely good at anything, who nobody really liked or respected (except for young, easily impressionable girls cause of his looks) and who completely made up stories just to become famous and rich, and probably to boost his own ego. On top of that, he was a coward.

Hadithi, on the other hand, seems like he's actually rather wise and skilled, when he puts his mind to things. It also seems he's liked and respected by the other animals, and continues to be, even after revealing the truth. His morals seem to be in place, too, when he comes across a serious situation, as was shown when he couldn't bring himself to accept his mud print celebration, when knowing he caused Ono to be in danger (something Lockhart would NEVER have done). He also showed he was brave enough to actually get involved and help when it was needed, showing he truly wanted to be a hero and didn't just lie for fame and glory. In fact, Hadithi's only fault really was that he enjoyed being adored a bit too much to the point of becoming a bragger, and was probably embarrassed to tell the truth, so he exaggerated his accomplishments. That's another thing: he didn't completely make stuff up, either.

All in all, out of every "bragging liars that come to town" characters I've seen (which is a lot), Hadithi was definitely on the more heroic side of them. Btw, I wonder where he was all that time before coming back to Pridelands?
Kallo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 21

Postby zerodix » February 27th, 2017, 4:28 pm

well, i watched the episode this saturday. i love the lion guard and its athmosphere, it was a nice episode but not that epic. but i can imagine kids find it nice to watch, the song was okay and all the african bird species gathering was a cool thing too. plus the hyenas appeared (i still think they are more vain villaina than the original trio) and a big plus was that kions roar wasnt used. thank goods :) this means there is only 1 episode left for this season then, i guess? ( the hippo lanes? right?)
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby Carambulesco » February 28th, 2017, 12:08 am

In this episode, we now know that Chungu has a belief. He believe in Gosh.
"There comes a certain time in life that you have to listen to your heart to take the path of happiness or satisfaction. I'm trying to find my destiny, and all I've found is adventure and Nature. But I'll keep looking for clearer answers.
The more I move away from humanity, the more human I feel."
:happyjasiri:
Carambulesco
Simba X Sodona

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nature is my home, with the Circle of Life

Telegram: @99999999fff
Pride Points: 2

Postby MacGuy3135 » March 3rd, 2017, 1:11 am

Anyone else feel the similarities between onos idol and 101 Damations II? Both had an idol who was over exaggerated through fiction. In both cases the idol was taught better ways by a follower who had better knowledge than them.
MacGuy3135

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Postby Gaze » March 8th, 2017, 8:17 am

yeah, not the most stand-out episode, but I liked it. it was a pretty cute and sweet episode. Ono is adorable! really pleasant animation and I loved all the birds. Hadithi's design and voice acting were very good.
I enjoyed the song, but I definitely noticed it didn't stand out much from the other songs in the show. definitely a 'standard TLG song', which is disappointing....hopefully that won't become too much of a running issue.

although there's nothing new/original about the storyline, I still think it's a very important message, so I'm not complaining that it often gets repeated throughout children's media. be careful who you idolize, how you idolize them, how much you idolize them!! I've always thought it was so interesting how much 'freer' I have felt ever since I grew up a bit and stopped idolizing/worshipping certain prominent figures I admired.
(Patch's London Adventure is one of my favorite disney sequels by far, haha)

so yeah, a good solid episode, just not a standout
Gaze
TLK collector

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

and bad poster

Pride Points: 26

Postby Kallo » March 8th, 2017, 2:49 pm

[quote="Gaze"]I still think it's a very important message, so I'm not complaining that it often gets repeated throughout children's media. be careful who you idolize, how you idolize them, how much you idolize them!! I've always thought it was so interesting how much 'freer' I have felt ever since I grew up a bit and stopped idolizing/worshipping certain prominent figures I admired.[/quote]

It's like Snufkin in Moomins says, in which is one of my favourite quotes/morals from any children's media ever: "You can never be truly free, if you idolise someone too much", talking of himself to a tiny creature who worships him a bit too much. :)

[quote="Gaze"]I enjoyed the song, but I definitely noticed it didn't stand out much from the other songs in the show. definitely a 'standard TLG song', which is disappointing....hopefully that won't become too much of a running issue. [/quote]

It will, if they have to keep writing a new song for each episode. Which is one of the reasons I've said they should stop having a song in every episode, and just have a maximum of like 10 songs per season. Makes it feel more special when a song happens, and keeps the writers of the music from running out of ideas. They're clearly sticking to the "standard TLG song" region, like you said, with the majority of the songs at this point, and saving the good songs they have in mind for bigger events in the show. I really hope someone in the show staff brings this up sooner than later, and says "hey, you know what, let's only make a new song when necessary". Because by the second half of S2, they'll have written like 4 albums worth of songs, and every song will just start becoming the same. Especially since they have to stick to the whole African-sound for the most part.
Kallo

Pride Points: 21

Postby Panpardus » March 8th, 2017, 7:48 pm

[quote="Kallo"]
[quote="Gaze"]I enjoyed the song, but I definitely noticed it didn't stand out much from the other songs in the show. definitely a 'standard TLG song', which is disappointing....hopefully that won't become too much of a running issue. [/quote]

It will, if they have to keep writing a new song for each episode. Which is one of the reasons I've said they should stop having a song in every episode, and just have a maximum of like 10 songs per season. Makes it feel more special when a song happens, and keeps the writers of the music from running out of ideas. They're clearly sticking to the "standard TLG song" region, like you said, with the majority of the songs at this point, and saving the good songs they have in mind for bigger events in the show. I really hope someone in the show staff brings this up sooner than later, and says "hey, you know what, let's only make a new song when necessary". Because by the second half of S2, they'll have written like 4 albums worth of songs, and every song will just start becoming the same. Especially since they have to stick to the whole African-sound for the most part.[/quote]

So true. And the thing is, a lot of this doesn't even really sound like African music; it's generally more like American pop music with offbeats, African drumming, and the occasional Swahili backing vocals. (I saw a review that used a term I like to describe it: "imitation African music.") Shakira's cover of "Zangalewa" (which you probably know as "Waka Waka") that she did for the 2010 World Cup sounds more authentic than a lot of this show's music, and it's nowhere near as good as the original. I think part of the problem - which I've probably mentioned elsewhere before - is that they don't have a music consultant/co-writer, so they're just working with a generally vague idea of what they think African music should sound like, and once they hit upon one of two standard formulas in terms of rhythmic motifs and song forms, they've been sticking with it and just switching up the keys. Occasionally they hit on a good one ("Ni Siku Nzuri", "Zuka Zama" (surprisingly), "Duties of the King", "My Own Way", "Kupatana Community", "Life in the Pridelands", and "Find Your Roar" (although Beau Black's accented performance there was...questionable) are pretty much the only ones so far that sound authentic and/or inspired) but most of it is pretty much just passable "imitation African", if not just standard American music.

Hans Zimmer and Elton John had Lebo M. to help make the music they wrote more authentic, and there's plenty of talented African artists whom Disney could've brought in to fill that role on The Lion Guard's production team. There's so many different genres of African music from the general region of the continent that the story is set, but they haven't really hit on any of them because (in large part I'm sure) they don't know that musical diversity even exists.
Panpardus

Pride Points: 51

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard