Simba's voice actor

Re: Simba's voice actor

Postby Elton John » May 7th, 2017, 9:35 am

Cam Clarke's Simba sounds too much like Liquid Snake from Metal Gear Solid, which he also voiced. Not bad but...I always imagined solid snake sneaking around in the pridelands, trying to stop Simba from activating Metal Gear when hearing cam voice Simba.

It's not like Mark Hammil where his Luke Skywalker and Joker voices are completely different.

I think Donald Glover will be the best of the lot.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Kallo » May 8th, 2017, 1:49 pm

As I said and was pointed out by others in the thread, it's not really Rob's voice as Simba that bothers me. It's that the performance is rather poor. Gary Anthony Williams doesn't sound that much like James Earl Jones (though I admit it's a very good impression considering Jones' unique voice), but he's still done a great job as Mufasa. Go ahead asking any voice actor, and they'll tell you it doesn't matter how many voices you can do, or if you can emulate another actor's voice. It's always a plus, but being able to get into the character and perform it well is the most important thing. I could easily get used into Simba having this older-sounding, more authoritative voice, as long as Rob actually gave us one line where doesn't sound confused about his own performance.
Kallo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 21

Postby SimbasGuard » May 13th, 2017, 8:51 am

[quote="Solar"]This is a really interesting point! That actor did a great job I would have loved seeing him back. But I guess Rob Lowe is a popular name, so I can't blame them for wanting to experiment.[/quote]

I agree I think Rob Lowe was cast for his star appeal. I can handle his voice as Simba, but I do not think his heart is in the performance. :sad: I also would have much preferred that Cam Clarke voice Simba in this series. I like to think that pat of the reason they cast him as Mwoga was just in case Rob Lowe did not wast to come back for the next season.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby moonsugar33 » May 18th, 2017, 2:39 am

I hope he does not come back for the next season.
moonsugar33

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 9

Postby TTB-Kun » May 19th, 2017, 9:43 am

[quote="moonsugar33"]I hope he does not come back for the next season.[/quote]
yeee so we get more discontinuity in voice actors! /s
no thanks.
TTB-Kun

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 11

Postby Ninclow » May 23rd, 2017, 12:20 am

The kid who plays Bunga is fifteen, so the moment the voice change drops on him like a bomb, we might have to get used to some discontinuity of voice actors, lest they age up the characters. A deep-voice Bunga would be... bad.
Ninclow

Pride Points: 2

Postby Kallo » May 25th, 2017, 10:44 am

[quote="TTB-Kun"][quote="moonsugar33"]I hope he does not come back for the next season.[/quote]
yeee so we get more discontinuity in voice actors! /s
no thanks.[/quote]

While I hate voice actors changing in series, I can also handle it okay cause I got very used to it growing up because they do that a LOT in my country. And I think there comes a point where a change in voice actor can improve the character itself so much, that it's better to just switch them to a new one than cling onto them. Rob Lowe's performance as Simba, quite honestly, isn't too far from this situation.
Kallo

Pride Points: 21

Postby zerodix » May 30th, 2017, 1:33 pm

I think voice acting discontunuity (if you spell it like that) is not a big problem, if the voices do not differ too much. If the age and gender of the voiced characters match, it wouldn't be a kind of thing that gives any disturbance (unless you make Zira and Nala switch voice actresses, lol)
Since the audience will mostly focus on what they see in the screen and the storylines, I think anyone who is great at voice acting, should be able to voice them.
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby Squeely » June 4th, 2017, 8:16 am

Lowe has definitely grown on me. He's passable enough as Simba, and will hopefully improve.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby SimbaSam » August 6th, 2017, 10:59 pm

I don't think I saw it mentioned but Rob Lowe kind of has a connection to Lion King with his co star in West Wing being Nalas voice Moira Kelly!
Simba's Brother Image
Signature and avatar by TheLionQueen, They're awesome!
SimbaSam

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): SB
Pride Points: 7

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard