The Rise of Scar Tailor

Re: The Rise of Scar Tailor

Postby Panpardus » July 21st, 2017, 12:02 am

[quote="Kallo"]Also, if that was Scar's laugh at the end we heard, I'm not terribly impressed with his voicing, either.

So far it looks like they're blowing this. Question is how badly. I'm not usually super petty with these things, but this might be a make-it-or-break-it deal as far as me continuing to watch the series goes. If they completely butcher Scar, who might be my favourite villain of all time, I'm not sure I can enjoy the show beyond that.[/quote]

Yeah, not really sold on that laugh, though for some reason it sounds more like it's coming from Ushari. I've never heard Oyelowo sound that high-pitched if that's indeed him. He doesn't have a particularly deep voice but he's played characters with Scar-ish voices, so not sure what's going on there.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Elton John » July 21st, 2017, 2:10 am

It was a teaser trailer with mostly out of context scenes. Plus, everything just went by so fast.

So it's hard to make a judgement on what the heck is happening.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Kallo » July 21st, 2017, 9:27 am

The worst thing would be if they got someone who could actually do a decent Scar voice, but made him sound completely off. I'm still hopeful though, since they pretty much nailed Zira's voice.
Kallo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 21

Postby JackStover » July 21st, 2017, 4:50 pm

I still think we should be prepared for the possibility that Scar comes back as more than just a lava ghost. I have nothing concrete to base that on. It's just a hunch. But we know he's going to be a recurring villain for the season and most villains need a physical presence. The description also says Scar comes back after Kion misuses the roar. It's possible the stick being thrown into the lava brings him back as a lava ghost, but he somehow manipulates events to cause Kion to bring him back for real.

If that does happen, many would think it a jumping the shark moment. It would also, I feel, completely remove The Lion Guard from canon. People were already struggling to reconcile Kion's existence with The Lion King II, but it could always be explained away by saying Kion left the Pride Lands. But Scar legitimately being resurrected would be a bridge too far for most people.

Maybe my hunch is wrong and he will be just a spirit.
JackStover

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 17

Postby Elton John » July 21st, 2017, 5:41 pm

Bringing back scar physically would be one of the worst ideas this show could have.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby ScarsLove » July 21st, 2017, 6:35 pm

Part of me is really looking forward to this but if they resurrect Scar as more than a ghost ( similar to Mufasa ) and he turns into a recurring villain as said 'lava ghost' that will be the ultimate 'jumping the shark'. However, I could see them maybe having him possess others maybe? That was actually a plot point in one of my crossover series on Youtube. If they physically resurrect him.. this will be my reaction.

Image Image Image Image

Spoiler: show
ScarsLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

"All's well that's well for me"

Nickname(s): Wolfy, Nikki
Pride Points: 70

Postby Kallo » July 21st, 2017, 7:46 pm

Where has it been said that Scar will be a recurring villain? I haven't seen that said anywhere. If that were the case and it was just clearly stated somewhere, I doubt there'd have been so much discussion about whether he'll be a one-off villain or not.

I also haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, other than fan theories, that Kion will summon Scar by misusing the Roar. Although, I do believe that since more than one person has said it. A link to this statement would be nice, though. It does give me some hope that maybe Janja won't be summoning Scar after all. Or at least won't be the only one doing so.

Finally, I very much doubt Scar will appear in physical form apart from as lava ghost. The lava form is the only image I've seen of him, the trailer doesn't suggest him as anything more, and if he were to appear in physical form, they'd certainly have taken advantage of that by making a toy of him as a regular lion. If they brought him back alive, that would indeed be VERY stupid of the show, but I still have my hopes somewhat up that they're gonna somehow do this one right, cause the show so far has done a surprisingly good job of staying loyal to the TLK movies and not gone completely crazy with their own additions to the lore.
Kallo

Postby JackStover » July 21st, 2017, 7:52 pm

[quote="Kallo"]Where has it been said that Scar will be a recurring villain? I haven't seen that said anywhere. If that were the case and it was just clearly stated somewhere, I doubt there'd have been so much discussion about whether he'll be a one-off villain or not.

I also haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, other than fan theories, that Kion will summon Scar by misusing the Roar.[/quote]
Disney's press site released an episode description for an episode in August, where Scar is also the villain. Conventional wisdom would indicate, then, that he'll be an ongoing villain beyond this one special.

[quote]After the Lion Guard accidentally wakes a group of hibernating crocodiles who become furious that they now have to suffer through the dry season in the Savanna, Scar seizes the opportunity to wreak havoc in the Pride Lands.[/quote]

Also, the description for the Scar special itself mentions Kion misusing the roar.

[quote]After using the Roar of the Elders in anger, Kion unwittingly summons the Pride Lands’ greatest villain, Scar.

*David Oyelowo (“Selma”) guest stars as Scar and Landry Bender (Disney Channel’s “Best Friends Whenever”) guest stars as Makini, Rafiki’s spirited young mandrill apprentice. Christian Slater (Disney XD’s “Milo Murphy’s Law”) recurs as Ushari the snake.[/quote]
JackStover

Pride Points: 17

Postby Kallo » July 21st, 2017, 9:15 pm

Ah, ok. Thanks. I haven't been keeping up with the episode descriptions lately.

The crocodile episode will likely be "Let Sleeping Crocs Lie", which is the episode immediately following "The Rise of Scar". Not liking the sound of this. Seems like they're gonna make Scar a very typical villain, and overuse him from the get-go. Hopefully that episode would be the last of him, but I doubt it. He'll probably be a big part of the series up until S3. He'll probably be "defeated" in the season finale or something. I'd be fine with a recurring theme and villain to make the main story of the series more interesting, but Scar is the wrong choice for this. Already Scar's appeareance will feel much less special, thanks to knowing he will appear right away the following week.
Kallo

Postby zerodix » July 22nd, 2017, 8:29 am

I'm curious about this episode, but I think that the expectation level should be alike when "return of the roar" came out. Although that movie introduced the lion guard members to us, and everything was new back then, so it was very exciting to see everything for the first time.
What I hope for is an explanation for what happened to the original hyena trio and if Zira pops up (or Reirei and Goigoi, or other villains that team up)
I guess we have to just wait for next week..
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard