"Let Sleeping Crocs Lie" Season 2 Ep. 6

Re: "Let Sleeping Crocs Lie" Season 2 Ep. 6

Postby Squeely » August 16th, 2017, 10:30 am

^I agree that the backgrounds are far more beautiful and extravagant than anything else done with flash, but as for fluid and actually-good-looking character movement, I think MLP:FiM does that better. However, I too am very forgiving of TLG's poorer bits of animation since TV-show animation simply can't be as good as a high-caliber animated film. You're looking at dozens of hours of animation for a show vs. less than two hours for a movie. And I do find it admirable that TLG's animation comes close to TLK's in a few regards.

As for the episode, it was quite good. A lot of political drama, which is probably the most interesting aspect of the Pridelands to me. Makuu is really coming into his own as a good leader, and making the correct moral choices. I'm also glad he won the mashindano, because it would have felt like a waste to throw his character growth out the window in favor of another antagonistic croc. We still get a nasty croc for a presumably recurring villain, so it's the best of both worlds.

Also, TLG is darker this season imo. We just had crocs attempt to murder Simba, and our villains are getting advice from an undead semi-hellspawn. Fairly dark for a show aimed at a young audience.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby SimbasGuard » August 17th, 2017, 8:59 am

[quote="Squeely"]Also, TLG is darker this season imo. We just had crocs attempt to murder Simba, and our villains are getting advice from an undead semi-hellspawn. Fairly dark for a show aimed at a young audience.[/quote]

Agreed.

I suspected that their might be a new intro for the show given it's new turn and I do like it. I enjoined this episode for the reasons mentioned above. I also have to admire Ono for owning up to his mistake, Kion for allowing him to do it, and Makuu for forgiving him considering how much togetherness his Float will be getting this dry season.

I also enjoyed Scar's song, now we know what his end game is. Zira and The Outsiders are the first ones I thought of when he spoke of gathering all The Outlanders into an army.

To paraphrase Squeely if Scar succeeds it will mean not just war with The Lion Guard, but with all of Simba's Pride (which will be a huge problem unless Simba's Pride gets some Lionesses). It will also likely involve the rest of The Pride Lands as well.

Possible allies I can see for Simba's pride. Basi and his pod, Ma Tembo's Heard, and Makuu's Float. Of course Rafiki and Makini. As well as Timon and Pumbaa will help too. I don't think the other animals of the Pride Lands could be of help, Unless Fuli could organize the cheetahs into a fighting force. I also have to wonder where Jasiri's Clan will be in all of this? They won't side with Scar, but it might be impossible for them to fight alongside Simba's Pride.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Kallo » August 18th, 2017, 12:28 am

[quote="Squeely"]^I agree that the backgrounds are far more beautiful and extravagant than anything else done with flash, but as for fluid and actually-good-looking character movement, I think MLP:FiM does that better.[/quote]

For the most part, MLP's artstyle and character designs are far simpler, though. As I said, TLG has probably the most detailed puppet designs I've seen in a Flash animated show. I'm sure that complicates the animation. The closest MLP has ever come to TLG-level puppets is maybe with a character like Ahuizotl, and even he has a simple design compared. Most of TLG's animation poblems seem to be with full-body shots. As far as more close-up shots and expressions go, for example, the animation is usually very smooth and well done, and pretty much on the same level as MLP.
Kallo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 21

Postby Panpardus » August 18th, 2017, 10:45 am

Protagonists causing a life-and-death scenario for an entire demographic, a new mashindano, an assassination attempt on the king himself, and an onscreen exile... My, that's a lot for a preschool show; definitely more intense than what I watched in my children's cartoon-viewing phase. (Outside of then-existing Lion King material of course.)

Addressing Ghost Scar first - since I didn't post a proper review on The Rise of Scar and the draft I wrote up for it accidentally got deleted and I don't feel like re-writing it - now that I've actually seen him in-universe, I generally like how he's been portrayed so far. The creators haven't done a number on him like I felt they did with Zira in "Lions of the Outlands"; he has a more outright imposing presence than his movie incarnation, yes, but that's because he's a demonic lava head in a volcano. I like Oyelowo's interpretation and performance; his voice is not as smooth as Irons, but it's close enough to aspects of the original in terms of general tone and cadence (both when he sings and speaks) that I find it familiar, while also acknowledging that this is a somewhat more openly hostile version of the character more along the lines of your standard "for the evulz" baddie, an interpretation that I actually don't mind. I've seen this opinion expressed by a fair number of fans both on here and elsewhere - that Scar seems less devious and cunning than he was before and is more of a "destroy everything" type of villain now, especially given that plan I think he has - but I think the change is perfectly fine and sensible given that in life, Scar had to be scheming to successfully accomplish his goals while covering his tracks (especially since he couldn't necessarily fight himself out if caught), but now he's a presumably virtually untouchable spirit with nothing to really lose should anything go awry. As far as we can tell, there's no real need for him to be cautious anymore, so he can be just as openly evil as he pleases at this point and I'll happily be along for this ride to see how the series ends his storyline for good, even though I'm not too keen on this whole villain team-up from a storytelling perspective; it just seems very cliché and not especially interesting, though I do hope that whatever they do, they do it well.

Moving from Scar, I definitely found myself getting invested in the episode's events. I tend to like more political stuff in these types of stories, so it was interesting to see Makuu have to negotiate a series of situations that kept spiraling out of control as the episode went on. Poor guy has to deal negotiate with a king and royal family with whom he has tentative relations (not that he's not culpable for it) in order to save himself and his people from a life-or-death situation that they've suddenly been forced into, and put down a rebellion that ends up spiraling into an assassination attempt on the king himself. That's quite a lot, and the fact that he was able to forgive Ono and the Guard for causing this whole mess (I like that this was a crisis the Guard actually caused) definitely speaks to his character evolution since we first saw him, and for me all but confirms that he's well on the path to becoming a "good" guy. I like Kiburi as an antagonist and I think he has the best design of any croc in this series, though Common's voice acting is stiff at times. It'll be interesting to see how he develops now that he's stuck in the Outlands - which I assume is effectively a death sentence given the whole "crocs need water" bit now that he can't return to aestivation, unless he muscles into say, Jasiri's family's water hole...

On that note, Rob Lowe actually convinced me that he can put some emotion into his voice for Simba with that exile scene. (I actually had mild shivers from his delivery of the line, "I said now.") I honestly can't see Broderick pulling off that tone as well I felt Lowe did; it's just not in his vocal register. I feel like we'll be seeing a little more of Simba this season than last, so hopefully Lowe's voice acting gets better and he has more good moments like this.

Finally, I like that there is a new intro, and I like the new bridge of the "Call of the Guard" theme, as well as more subtle musical changes like the call-and-response between the low and high brass. However, I am definitely of the party that thinks that the last third of the intro sequence was kinda lazily put together given that it's clearly just a bunch of scenes thrown together; it felt more like a random YouTube compilation video than a proper title sequence. They could've just left the rest of the intro intact after the Scar section and it would've been a lot cleaner. We'll see how long they keep Scar around, but hopefully next season's is better.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby zerodix » August 18th, 2017, 9:34 pm

i saw the ep. and i liked the new intro but scars song was kinda meh.. we have 2 crocodile groups now, but i hoped to see zira kovu and the outlanders but too bad they did not show up (yet?) i am on a roadtrip still.. so not much internetz here (south france in the mountains) did anyone hear about a next episode or where to find info bout it?
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby SimbasGuard » August 19th, 2017, 2:52 am

[quote="Panpardus"]I'm not too keen on this whole villain team-up from a storytelling perspective; it just seems very cliché and not especially interesting, though I do hope that whatever they do, they do it well.[/quote]

I'm sure they would not go this route unless they had given it a lot of thought. Since I assume it is going to be the overreaching story arch of the season. Personally I like when all the villains team up it makes them an even greater threat to the heroes and possibly a threat The Lion Guard may not be able to handle on their own.

* Update 8-24-17 *

[quote="Panpardus"]now he's a presumably virtually untouchable spirit with nothing to really lose should anything go awry. As far as we can tell, there's no real need for him to be cautious anymore, so he can be just as openly evil as he pleases at this point[/quote]

I agree with that in that, in fact I think Scar is one enemy that Kion will not be able to defeat with The Roar (At least not The Roar alone). I am also forced to wonder if the next time Kion talks to Mufasa, Mufasa will say, "Kion, I sense a disturbance in The Circle of Life."

[quote="Panpardus"]I like Kiburi as an antagonist and I think he has the best design of any croc in this series, though Common's voice acting is stiff at times. It'll be interesting to see how he develops now that he's stuck in the Outlands - which I assume is effectively a death sentence given the whole "crocs need water" bit now that he can't return to aestivation, unless he muscles into say, Jasiri's family's water hole...[/quote]

Another excellent point. I know Scar would have no problem exploiting Kiburi and his Crocodiles. Only to toss them aside and leave them to their fate once he is done with them. However I doubt Scar would have recruited them in the first place if he didn't have a way to ensure that they would (there is no polite way to say this) last long enough to be of use to him. Your idea about Jasiri's Clan's watering hole being a prime target is an excellent possibility. Also if Scar is trying to create an army, even though water is in very short supply. A contingent of Crocodiles would only make said army stronger.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Previous

Return to The Lion Guard