Opinion on Kion having a love interest?

Re: Opinion on Kion having a love interest?

Postby Hatari05 » September 3rd, 2017, 1:16 am

[quote="Aelwen"][quote]Now let's assume that Disney was willing to ignore nature and the fact that a Lion and a Cheetah can not reproduce. Disney does ignore nature when they want too (and most of the time it works out for the best) and they did let Kion And Fuli get together. If they still intended to stick with the theme of The Circle of Life, wouldn't the existence of a Lion/Cheetah hybrid disrupt The Circle of Life?[/quote]

It's not even about reproducing. An adult lion weights 420-500 pounds, a female cheetah 84-88 pounds. They can't even mate.
If Kion is 8 months old already then he is already larger than her.[/quote]

I think we're getting too technical. LK doesn't follow real animal rules so I don't think we can use them to argue against something. Real lions kill whichever cubs aren't there, Scar didn't kill Nala and I couldn't even picture Simba or Mufasa killing any cubs.

Lions weigh around 420 pounds except Scar clearly doesn't there is no way Scar with his overall frail form could weigh that, it's impossible. Scar should've been attracting females left and right since Black mane lions are considered highly desirable.

The pridelands return in a few months when before there was nothing left. While some growth is likely the whole kingdom being fully restored by the time Nala gives birth is virtually impossible.

Another factor is that in prides I don't think there even is a female alpha meaning Mufasa and Simba likely wouldn't have queens. The ending of SP which has two prides becoming one is not likely to happen in the real Lion world. I don't think male lions have true heirs either since almost every male is eventually kicked out to find their own pride. Could you picture Simba kicking Kion out? The idea of all females being related is hard to picture as well. I can't see Simba or Kovu even thinking of another lioness beside Nala or Kiara let alone mating with one.

Simba grew up eating nothing but bugs which I don't think a lion could even survive that diet, they wouldn't be getting the proper nutrition. With a diet like that Simba should be about as skinny as Scar if not worse, instead he's fairly large.

The rules of a real Lion pride do not apply here and even the biology of lions doesn't seem to apply as such it's likely real cheetahs and other animals don't fully apply either.

[quote="SimbasGuard"][quote="Hatari05"]I get exactly what you are saying and while Kion has defied tradition by assembling a non-lion excursive Lion Guard. Cross species friendships are nothing new to the Lion King franchise in general. Kion befriending a Hyena speaks volumes about his ability to see past what he has (likely been taught) learned of a species. As well as being a first for the franchise (as far as actual canon goes). This is a hallmark of the series itself. Another Theme of the series is The Circle of Life. Respecting it and protecting it by keeping it in balance. I would think part of that balance would be no animals dating outside their species. It would make no sense at all if Zazu and Timon were vying for the affections of Ma Tembo. I could see Kion and Fuli ( I am relatively certain that Hyenas are in the cat family, but Jasiri seems too different species-wise to be a ligament prospect for Kion) potentially falling in love, but I think both of them would never peruse it because of how it would it would disrupt the circle of life.

Now let's assume that Disney was willing to ignore nature and the fact that a Lion and a Cheetah can not reproduce. Disney does ignore nature when they want too (and most of the time it works out for the best) and they did let Kion And Fuli get together. If they still intended to stick with the theme of The Circle of Life, wouldn't the existence of a Lion/Cheetah hybrid disrupt The Circle of Life?[/quote][/quote]

This could be seen as an issue except we have no idea what the rules of the circle of life actually are, the very concept of the circle of life is very vague, we don't even where it originated from or what constitutes disrupting it. In the actual jungle yeah such a union would disrupt the natural order but this isn't the real world. The handling of the different species seems to be more along the lines of handling of different cultures. The animals come off like different human cultures and beliefs rather than entirely different species. Kion ending up with Fuli or Jasiri would be more along the lines of someone from one culture marrying someone from a different cultural society.
Hatari05

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): you can just call me Hatari for short
Pride Points: 26

Postby PridelandsPhantom » September 3rd, 2017, 6:50 pm

I'm not really into Kion and Vitani because I don't really think they'd mesh together as a couple. My love interest of Kion will never happen which is Fuli and Kion. I am a shipper and I've seen little hints such as how deep the friendship is between Kion and Fuli, but considering Fuli is a cheetah, it will never happen. This show is also aimed at teaching children about friendship and other life lessons, and considering the age of the guard, there won't be any romance or very little. No offense to anyone who ships it but I don't see Jasiri as any kind of love interest for Kion. It's more of bucking tradition and seeing that you can't paint everyone (or animal) with a broad brush.

I see Fuli as a good match for Kion merely for her quick-wit, ability to push Kion, and her intelligence. I really don't care too much about actual lions as everything in TLK is anthro, but Disney most likely won't address the subject, period.
Dog Mom to Misty, Sango, Tami, Abby, and Kawaii. :)
Three Angel Babies at the Rainbow Bridge: Mija, London, and Olga :cry:
PridelandsPhantom
Kion is My Waifu!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Disney Fan and Lioness at Heart

Nickname(s): Mako, Dog Mom, Alex, Jessi
Pride Points: 12

Postby SimbasGuard » September 4th, 2017, 2:24 am

[quote="Aelwen"]It's not even about reproducing. An adult lion weights 420-500 pounds, a female cheetah 84-88 pounds. They can't even mate.
If Kion is 8 months old already then he is already larger than her.[/quote]

While I admit i did not know the exact numbers regarding the mechanics of the situation. When I said a Lion and a Cheetah can not reproduce. I was just trying to keep my wording as polite as possible.

[quote="Hatari05"]I think we're getting too technical. LK doesn't follow real animal rules so I don't think we can use them to argue against something. Real lions kill whichever cubs aren't there, Scar didn't kill Nala and I couldn't even picture Simba or Mufasa killing any cubs.

Lions weigh around 420 pounds except Scar clearly doesn't there is no way Scar with his overall frail form could weigh that, it's impossible. Scar should've been attracting females left and right since Black mane lions are considered highly desirable.

The pridelands return in a few months when before there was nothing left. While some growth is likely the whole kingdom being fully restored by the time Nala gives birth is virtually impossible.

Another factor is that in prides I don't think there even is a female alpha meaning Mufasa and Simba likely wouldn't have queens. The ending of SP which has two prides becoming one is not likely to happen in the real Lion world. I don't think male lions have true heirs either since almost every male is eventually kicked out to find their own pride. Could you picture Simba kicking Kion out? The idea of all females being related is hard to picture as well. I can't see Simba or Kovu even thinking of another lioness beside Nala or Kiara let alone mating with one.

Simba grew up eating nothing but bugs which I don't think a lion could even survive that diet, they wouldn't be getting the proper nutrition. With a diet like that Simba should be about as skinny as Scar if not worse, instead he's fairly large.

The rules of a real Lion pride do not apply here and even the biology of lions doesn't seem to apply as such it's likely real cheetahs and other animals don't fully apply either.[/quote]

Excellent points. I agree with most of them. In fact I think part of why I love The Lion King (Franchise) as much as I do is it strikes (What I think is) a perfect balance between keeping the animals animalistic enough that I see them as the animals they are. While humanizing them enough to make them completely endearing.

[quote="Hatari05"]This could be seen as an issue except we have no idea what the rules of the circle of life actually are, the very concept of the circle of life is very vague, we don't even where it originated from or what constitutes disrupting it. In the actual jungle yeah such a union would disrupt the natural order but this isn't the real world. The handling of the different species seems to be more along the lines of handling of different cultures. The animals come off like different human cultures and beliefs rather than entirely different species. Kion ending up with Fuli or Jasiri would be more along the lines of someone from one culture marrying someone from a different cultural society.[/quote]

Excellent point. However one thing The Lion Guard (Series) pointed out in the episode The Rise of Makuu: Was that when the animals were not in their normal habitat it threw The Circle of Life Out of Balance. I still think for Kion to choose a mate that isn't a Lioness would cause some sort of trouble in-universe-wise. My biggest issue, (not to belabor my previous point) plot-wise is that if you were to allow a cross-species romance. It could hurt the shows realism. Much more that the magical roars, spirit lions, mandrill shamans, and working animal monarchy. If permitted cross-species relationships could ruin the show. Bunga and Beshte could go on a double date with Tiifu and Zuri. Ono could fall for Madoa. The only way it could work is if the cross-species issue was addressed head on. It would have to be pointed out that the ridiculous ideas I have mentioned (not necessarily characters, but species combinations) paring-wise. Would not work. It would also have to be addressed that a Lion and a Cheetah (or Hyena for you Jasiri fans) have never fallen in love before. I don't know how to properly word it, but the issue of them both being cats and thus being able to possibly make an exception. would also have to be addressed. In other words if Disney were willing to let Kion and Fuli (or Jasiri) fall in love there still needs to be boundaries on cross species relationships.

[quote="PridelandsPhantom"]My love interest of Kion will never happen which is Fuli and Kion. I am a shipper and I've seen little hints such as how deep the friendship is between Kion and Fuli, but considering Fuli is a cheetah, it will never happen. This show is also aimed at teaching children about friendship and other life lessons, and considering the age of the guard, there won't be any romance or very little. I see Fuli as a good match for Kion merely for her quick-wit, ability to push Kion, and her intelligence. I really don't care too much about actual lions as everything in TLK is anthro, but Disney most likely won't address the subject, period.[/quote]

When it comes to addressing the subject of Romance on The Lion Guard. I can only dismiss it so far. I do not think we will ever see an episode where Kion falls head over tail for Vitani, Fuli, or anyone any of us would like to see him end up with. As you said, I keep looking for hints (such as what you have noticed between Kion and Fuli) that a romance could happen eventually.

What do I mean eventually? With this series being set where it is, I can not help but, look beyond what I see. * Ducks to avoid any objects thrown at him for the reference * Given that we know Kiara grew up, I am certain that at some point (most likely when the series has run it's course) we well see The Lion Guard as Adults. Kion getting a love interest at this time makes perfect sense.
Last edited by SimbasGuard on September 21st, 2017, 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Panpardus » September 4th, 2017, 6:25 am

All of this kinda just wants me to skip ahead to the end of the series and see how they resolve everything. :lol:

Regardless of whomever Kion ends up with (if anybody), I can see The Lion Guard touching on romance - or even 'love' as a general concept - even if as just a one-off thing for perhaps a Valentine's Day themed episode, which Disney Jr. in general has done before. I mean it is part of the 'Circle of Life', and if death has been addressed several times over by this series and franchise, I don't see why not the other side of said circle. Who knows, it may not even be Kion who gets hitched in the series...
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby SimbasGuard » September 4th, 2017, 9:29 am

[quote="Panpardus"]I can see The Lion Guard touching on romance - or even 'love' as a general concept - even if as just a one-off thing for perhaps a Valentine's Day themed episode, which Disney Jr. in general has done before. I mean it is part of the 'Circle of Life', and if death has been addressed several times over by this series and franchise, I don't see why not the other side of said circle. Who knows, it may not even be Kion who gets hitched in the series...[/quote]

That is something I did not even consider.

SimbasGuard

Postby zerodix » September 10th, 2017, 12:54 pm

fuli and jasiri are other species, and nowhere in the tlk universe they did interspecies love affairs (if that even is a word)
so we have 3 lioness cubs: vitani, zuri and tiifu.
personally, zuri is not it for kion because of her queen bee personality, i think she would annoy kion and not fit with him.

tiifu seems sweet and would be my choice for kion.. as for vitani, she turns around after she grows up, so if kion and tiifu wouldnt be dating by then.. kion might get a weak spot for vitani :)

but that is just speculation, tiifu seems the best choice right now..
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby Kallo » September 20th, 2017, 11:32 pm

One thing I don't get with the TLK fandom is that why does it always go into the whole "That doesn't happen in real nature, so it can't in the TLK-universe either". That always seems to be such a big argument. But at the end of the day, it's a cartoon, not real life. True, the original movie stayed SOMEWHAT true to the real-life African animal kingdom, but it was still a children's cartoon, and The Lion Guard is even moreso. As such, it's even more weird the first thing to bring into it is mating and reproduction. They're just cartoon characters. You don't need to bring all that into it. Kion & Fuli are two characters with pretty great chemistry, that could work very well in some type of love storyline, or at least in a simple "having a crush" storyline. That being said, it doesn't NEED to happen. They're a good example of a male and a female character who can be just friends too, and if it stays that way it'd be great too (we don't have enough of that in media, imo).

But still... it'd be a pretty cool storyline if at the end of the series Kion and Fuli did end up together, and left somewhere else to lead a life of their own (which would explain Kion's absence in TLK2). Yes, that'd defy the laws of nature pretty much... but at the same time, it'd create a great story and moral for kids that outward difference doesn't really matter if you care for someone, and that Kion shouldn't necessarily be with another lion if he doesn't want to. Besides, it's not THAT unheard of for animals of different species to form "romantic" relationships, though it mostly happens in zoos and not in the wild.
Kallo

Pride Points: 21

Postby SimbasGuard » September 21st, 2017, 9:44 am

[quote="Kallo"]Kion & Fuli are two characters with pretty great chemistry, that could work very well in some type of love storyline, or at least in a simple "having a crush" storyline. That being said, it doesn't NEED to happen. They're a good example of a male and a female character who can be just friends too, and if it stays that way it'd be great too (we don't have enough of that in media, imo).[/quote]

I'd be fine with a "having a crush" story line as long as it didn't end in heartbreak, but rather with a "we work better as friends decision "

You are also very correct about Kion and Fuli being a great example of a Male/Female Friendship. It would not hurt to play that up.

[quote="Kallo"]But still... it'd be a pretty cool storyline if at the end of the series Kion and Fuli did end up together, and left somewhere else to lead a life of their own (which would explain Kion's absence in TLK2). Yes, that'd defy the laws of nature pretty much... but at the same time, it'd create a great story and moral for kids that outward difference doesn't really matter if you care for someone, and that Kion shouldn't necessarily be with another lion if he doesn't want to.[/quote]

I do have to admit that Kion and Fuli would be cute together (Even though I am rooting for Vitani to win Kion's heart). It is jut that Kion and Fuli leaving The Pride Lands to be together, would be a bittersweet way to end things, because I doubt it would be with Simba's approval :x
Last edited by SimbasGuard on September 22nd, 2017, 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

SimbasGuard

Postby Kallo » September 21st, 2017, 12:34 pm

[quote="SimbasGuard"]I'd be fine with a "having a crush" story line as long as it didn't end in heartbreak, but rather with "we work better as friends derision" [/quote]

I mean, I think that would be the obvious route to go with that. Having a sad moment in there where either one of them feels heartbroken would be a good moment to have in there as well, though. It could even be played as a slightly longer story-arc than just one episode. Where it would affect their behaviour towards each other for a few episodes, until it gets settled. But a "we're just happy as friends" would definitely be the way to end that story.

[quote="SimbasGuard"]I do have to admit that Kion and Fuli would be cute together (Even though I am rooting for Vitani to win Kion's heart). It is jut that Kion and Fuli leaving The Pride Lands to be together, would be a bittersweet way to end things, because I doubt it would be with Simba's approval :x[/quote]

Not to be a ship-sinker, but I think Kion and Vitani are a very far-fetched couple. Sorry. :-/ I have a hard time imagining how that ship would work smoothly even in a fanfiction. Just doesn't feel like the chemistry is there. Maybe when they're grown-up and Vitani joins Simba's pride, I can see them slowly growing close, but as cubs? Nah. Their personalities are just too far from each other. And in general, I just can't see the show doing that even in my imagination. As far as the Kion and Fuli thing, I don't think you can end a series like this with Simba's disapproval of the two being together, even if it would be a departure from your normal happy ending. I think if that storyline were to happen, Simba's disapproval should be there, but he should accept them in the end.
Kallo

Pride Points: 21

Postby SimbasGuard » September 22nd, 2017, 6:16 am

[quote="Kallo"]I mean, I think that would be the obvious route to go with that. Having a sad moment in there where either one of them feels heartbroken would be a good moment to have in there as well, though. It could even be played as a slightly longer story-arc than just one episode. Where it would affect their behaviour towards each other for a few episodes, until it gets settled. But a "we're just happy as friends" would definitely be the way to end that story.[/quote]

That would work perfectly as well.

[quote="Kallo"]Not to be a ship-sinker, but I think Kion and Vitani are a very far-fetched couple. Sorry. :-/ I have a hard time imagining how that ship would work smoothly even in a fanfiction. Just doesn't feel like the chemistry is there. Maybe when they're grown-up and Vitani joins Simba's pride, I can see them slowly growing close, but as cubs? Nah. Their personalities are just too far from each other. And in general, I just can't see the show doing that even in my imagination.[/quote]

First off I have no problem with someone disagreeing with my OTP :lol: Although when I talk of Kion falling in love with Vitani I see it happening when they are adults. All I really expect is a spark that lets the viewer know that something is or could be there. That could later develop into love.

Kion's first meeting with Vitani dealt sever blows to my hopes for a romance happening between them, because Kion now sees Vitani as an enemy, and he used The Roar on her. Now unless Vitani is so attracted to power that it makes Kion look like the most eligible bachelor in all of Africa. I have a have a hard time seeing how animosity could change into romantic interest.

Another reason I don't expect Kion to fall head over tail in love with at this point. is because even though he is definitely older than his parents were, when Zazu noticed "Little seeds of romance blossoming in the Savannah." Simba And Nala didn't realize until they were much older that they actually did love each other. I don't expect Kion to know who his one true love is instantly.

As for why I won't give up on hope for Kion And Vitani. If we are limiting Kion's potential love interests to just the available Lionesses , the only competition Vitani has are Tiifu and Zuri and Vitani beats them in every category you care to name except for compassion. I have to give that one to Tiifu.

I also think it is safe to assume that Kion would be attracted to strong (not just of strength, but of will and determination) lionesses. Vitani wins that category again.

However if Fuli were part of this competition, Vitani would now be facing an uphill battle. I would still be rooting for her though.

[quote="Kallo"]As far as the Kion and Fuli thing, I don't think you can end a series like this with Simba's disapproval of the two being together, even if it would be a departure from your normal happy ending. I think if that storyline were to happen, Simba's disapproval should be there, but he should accept them in the end.[/quote]

O.K. so if Simba accepts them, would Kion and Fuli be leaving The Pride Lands because they realize that they did violate The Circle of Life? Is Simba forced to symbolically banish them for that reason or is to pacify the denizens of The Pride Lands? If Kion and Fuli leave The Pride Lands in this manner, does it close the door on them ever returning?
Last edited by SimbasGuard on September 23rd, 2017, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

SimbasGuard

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard