"Swept Away" Season 2 Ep. 7

"Swept Away" Season 2 Ep. 7

Postby Panpardus » September 15th, 2017, 7:25 pm

Not a bad episode, though not necessarily as dense as I thought it could've been.

So as we know, Kion decides to use the cloud trick Zira showed him in order to try and get water to free some zebras - including Thurston, who is probably the definition of too dumb to live and I'm definitely surprised he's survived long enough to procreate, though he provides some good material for Fuli to make deadpan remarks (which were on-point throughout this episode from both she and Ushari, I have to say) - from a drying riverbed. I was hoping there'd be a direct reference to how Kion learned this trick, but it's never addressed at all in the episode, so that was a bit of a letdown. So yeah, then Beshte gets washed downriver into the Outlands in the ensuing flash flood, and he has to make his way back while his friends go searching for him. The threat of Beshte suffering severe sunburn adds a sense of urgency to the proceedings, but it does call into question why this hasn't really been shown as a problem for him until now; hippos usually stay in the water during much of the day (throughout the year) and only come out to graze at night specifically because of the threat of overheating and sunburn. That said, the accompanying song was okay, but jeez, the lyrics really have no direction outside of the chorus. You can tell the most of the lines are there just to fill space on the backing track.

On the other side, Scar showed up again, and it's becoming clear that he sees Janja and his hyenas as "crude, and unspeakably plain" - and I enjoyed his calling them "fools" - while Janja already doesn't seem to be Scar's biggest fan either. I'm hoping that not every Scar scene ends up with the same few lines of dialogue, since I noticed they were repeating lines more or less word for word from the last episode (e.g, "I have a plan," "Big plans indeed," "We could use this as our opportunity..."). I wish we could've seen Scar lambasting the hyenas for screwing up, but maybe they're just saving a scene like that for later on.

Overall, it was alright. It didn't really offer much to really delve into, but whatever.
Last edited by Panpardus on September 30th, 2017, 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Re: "Swept Away" Season 2 Ep. 6

Postby JackStover » September 15th, 2017, 10:35 pm

It was alright. Still waiting for Kion to learn that Scar is even back. I'm sure that'll happen before much longer. I suspect Janja and his crew will eventually turn on Scar and help Kion defeat him.

Meanwhile, I'll be waiting patiently for Fuli to get another episode. I might die of old age before it happens.
JackStover

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 17

Postby AnonLion » September 16th, 2017, 1:02 am

Not a bad episode but it was pretty average. The song wasn't really that great either, somehow it felt out of place for me because it came out of nowhere. I appreciate that Scar is unhesitant to try and straight out murder a member of the Lion Guard, but it's hard to imagine a mastermind like him would suggest to "kill the hippo with big rocks". Why not lead him to a dead end without shade and wait for Beshte to get overhwlemed by the heat and then dehydrate? That wouldn't be easy for the Lion Guard to solve. I wanted to see Scar lash out at Janja and the hyenas too, but I'm also wondering how did he find out so quickly that the plan failed. Was Ushari watching and rushed to tell Scar then went all the way back to tell Janja? Unlikely. I did like that scene where Ono was almost eaten alive though, it was really unnerving in a good way.

Either way on one hand I'm pleased to see that Scar doesn't mess around and will do anything that might be of advantage, including murder. On the other hand I thought the episode was going to be a bit more intense because of the life or death situation, but maybe I hyped myself a bit too much.
Simba and Nala give me life

I also just began writing TLK fanfiction !
AnonLion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 8

Postby escobea1 » September 16th, 2017, 1:48 am

Cheezi almost ate Ono, so that reminded me of Kevin Schon's "darker" message on twitter. I was bored up until the rock plan. I liked that Scar almost got away with killing Beshte. Scar is threatening the Guard now, so that entertained me. I suppose I should lower my expectations of seeing Simba and Nala take on Scar in a Dark Souls type boss battle. I figured kids would like that.

I liked the skinks' part in tricking Beshte yet not revealing themselves as villains. This can prove useful for future plans.

It was an okay episode, and Rafiki's New Neighbors looks like filler until the Scar plot is further developed. It amused me to see an unintentional Star Wars reference: Beshte wandered through the Outlands like R2-D2 in the Jundland Wastes. The music even matched that of the Sandcrawler theme. I hope the stakes are raised for future episodes.
escobea1

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Panpardus » September 16th, 2017, 2:28 am

I thought the plan was fine given the circumstances. Granted, we don't know how omnipotent Scar is as a spirit (I guess he heard the roar and rightly assumed the worst for him) but having the skinks bring Beshte to a dead end and trapping him there should've been effective enough - no way Beshte should've actually have been able to move that first boulder given the narrowness of the space and its proximity to the cave entrance, so he should've been trapped for good - though I guess actually killing him with boulders would've ensured that there was as little leaving things to chance as possible. (You know how effective hyenas are...)

I wonder if we'll get a series of episodes in which Scar tries to kill at least one Guard member, leading up to Kion and/or his actual invasion. I kinda' hope it doesn't happen since it might get a bit boring, but I guess it would be an appropriate way to ratchet up the drama throughout the season for younger audiences. I also wonder how far ahead the show writers have planned for the story; two seasons (this and the confirmed third) seems like ample time to cover the Scar plot if they really had to stretch it that far.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby zerodix » September 16th, 2017, 8:46 am

you have seen it? you have a link? was it nice?
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby escobea1 » September 16th, 2017, 9:19 am

escobea1

Postby zerodix » September 16th, 2017, 9:59 am

thanks so much for the link! i watched it... when the floodwave came into view, Kions ear rims vanished for a short time.. (the brown rims) the scene where Beshte gets swept away during the floodwave is funny, with the "woah...woah..woah..woah" that was awkward. but in a funny way. the song was happy but..not memorable. i love seeing new episodes and i watch them all, some of the better episodes even twice. but for this one.. 1 time is enough. i hoped to see more outlanders.. like zira and her pride. the skinks are not so exciting for me.. this was one of the filler episodes i guess. not bad, but not good either. i smiled at how they gave beshte a red gloom to make him look sunburned though.
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby Panpardus » September 17th, 2017, 3:28 am

[quote="zerodix"]i smiled at how they gave beshte a red gloom to make him look sunburned though.[/quote]

Well, on that, it turns out that the reddish tint is technically more like the dried secretions that hippos produce as a sort of biological sunscreen that works really well so long as the animal is wet and hydrated. Though hippos can still get sunburned if out in the sun for too long, the real danger skin-wise is that their skin dries out and cracks, but I'm pretty sure they weren't going to get that detailed...
Panpardus

Postby SimbasGuard » September 17th, 2017, 10:18 am

This was a good episode, Scar is quick to capitalize on any chance to take out a member of The Guard.

I had to wonder why The Roar brought more rain than what Kion had intended? He wanted to help the Zebras, but was causing a rainstorm during the dry season a minor offense against The Circle of Life? Was the additional rain a slap on the wrists to Kion from The Great Kings? It could also be that Kion was thinking about how much all of The Pride Lands could use rain in the back of his mind when he used The Roar and as such summoned more rain than he had intended. I just now realized that Kion didn't beat himself up too badly for his mistake. He was able to set it aside and focus on finding Beshte. He has grown as a leader. I would have thought that this mishap would have caused Kion to hesitate before using The Roar again, but he it seems he took the lesson he learned in "Never Roar Again" to heart.

Beshte's song was O.K.

[quote="Panpardus"]On the other side, Scar showed up again, and it's becoming clear that he sees Janja and his hyenas as "crude, and unspeakably plain" - while Janja already doesn't seem to be Scar's biggest fan either.[/quote]

I noticed that too Scar's plan has cracks in it before it has a chance to truly get started. I have to wonder why though. Scar's plans had worked or at least the part B of his plans. Recruiting Kiburi and his crocodiles. Does Janja already feel as if The Hyenas are already getting the short end of the stick.

[quote="escobea1"]I liked the skinks' part in tricking Beshte yet not revealing themselves as villains. This can prove useful for future plans.[/quote]

Agreed An unknown enemy is always a more dangerous threat

[quote="Panpardus"]I wonder if we'll get a series of episodes in which Scar tries to kill at least one Guard member, leading up to Kion and/or his actual invasion.[/quote]

[quote="JackStover"]Meanwhile, I'll be waiting patiently for Fuli to get another episode. I might die of old age before it happens.[/quote]

It would make sense that Scar would try to take out each member of The Guard, should the opportunity present itself. if that happens than a Fuli episode is a sure thing.

[quote="Panpardus"]no way Beshte should've actually have been able to move that first boulder given the narrowness of the space and its proximity to the cave entrance, so he should've been trapped for good - though I guess actually killing him with boulders would've ensured that there was as little leaving things to chance as possible. (You know how effective hyenas are...)[/quote]

I still think that The Mark of the Guard gives each Guard member an extra boost of strength when they need it (unbeknownst to The Guard). It makes sense that Scar would want to kill Beshte before The Guard could rescue him. Kion could have used The Roar to free Beshte.

[quote="zerodix"]i hoped to see more outlanders.. like zira and her pride.[/quote]

I am waiting for that too. However this thought occurred to me. Right now Ushari has Scar's ear and is after a fashion his mouthpiece. If Zira is brought in to Scar's army she will not settle for anyone other than her having that position. I wonder how that would go over with the non-lion members of Scar's army.

As for what will defeat Scar Rafiki, Mufasa and Kion's Roar will all have something to do with it. I'd love for Simba And Nala to be involved as well. However I just can't see how that would work unless it involved them holding off Scar's army while Rafiki, Mufasa, and Kion battle Scar.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Next

Return to The Lion Guard