season 2 ep 8: Rafikis new neighbours (airs sep 22th)

Re: season 2 ep 8: Rafikis new neighbours (airs sep 22th)

Postby zerodix » September 23rd, 2017, 7:59 am

thanx! i watched it. did not like this episode for too many reasons. maybe i should really lower my expectations because i was so dissapointed.
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby SimbasGuard » September 23rd, 2017, 10:11 am

This episode was much better than I hoped, The new characters were annoying, but I was glad that they proved to be useful characters at the end.

I had no problem with Kion's use of The Roar to put out the fire. It has been shown, if not gone into depth on that The Roar is subject to Kion's will. As long he has his full concentration on what he wants it to do. He also used his Sniper Roar on the fire, so it was put out with precise strikes. Also when Kion uses The Roar on an enemy, they go flying at a considerable height and often travel a considerable distance. Only to land with a thud and no other type of discomfort. (Yes I know being a preschool show has a lot to do with that).

[quote="Panpardus"]Also, I can't help but be curious about whether Makini's second lost staff is going to amount to something later on; they took some time to linger on that shot and show that she got yet another one at the end of the episode.[/quote]

I wondered about that too, but with Rafiki saying (and I paraphrase) Never mind it can be replaced. Finding another you would be impossible. Was basically a hey kids don't try to rescue your possessions if your house is on fire moment. Showing her with a new staff at the end of the show was a, Look you can replace the things you loose in a fire moment.

[quote="Panpardus"]I actually found it interesting that the show tried to somehow play with the angle regarding how adolescent males of a variety of social species are usually kicked out of their natal herds/groups when they come of age (in part because of their rambunctious, hormonal behavior), but nobody actually acknowledging that fact in-universe - not even Rafiki - was something I found very odd, and the way the show resolves the issue felt like they were trying to reach for some moral that didn't really exist here. In my opinion, it would've been a lot better if they'd just played it straight, then you could have a more interesting theme or moral while still having the same ending. (Once again, the downsides of being a preschool-targeted show.)[/quote]

Congratulations. you saw the moral I missed. Although wasn't Bupu about to mention something about antelope tradition when Fuli cut him off and asked him to start a new tradition...please.

[quote="Panpardus"]Seeing Makuu and the crocs was great in its own way, though is it just me or does it look like they've changed location since we last saw them?[/quote]

I noticed that they had more water, but it could just be that banishing Kiburi and his followers just gave them room.

I also took notice of the fact that Scar was not in this episode. That means that he is working on gathering his army or still punishing Janja.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby zerodix » September 23rd, 2017, 10:37 am

This episode was a point of depth for this series, in my opinion.
Let me explain how I got to this opinion:
Since june the 10th of 2014, since this series got their first announcements of beeing-in-the-making, I checked news and sites almost daily.
Then, in november 2015, when i was in a personal crisis, the Return of the Roar movie came out. And it was very good. Then season 1 comes along.

In season 1 we are introduced to various new and interesting characters: the main characters, but also Jasiri who comes with a nice song and message, then we have leopards, servals, the Outlanders coming back (looking slightly different and Zira's headstripe blew off, but hey, they are back and grrreat!) We have 2 new lionesses, don't really understand their role (Zuri and Tiifu) but i hoped they would have them develop into something meaningfull for the series.
So the 1st season was like an introduction of all these characters, some episodes I watched more than once, because one time i loved a song, the other time I couldn't get enough of a new character. I loved it, and this season was a compliment to the Lion King universe.

Now, back to the reason I shared this opinion and story with you: season 2 gets announced and we get all speculating and hopes up. I tried not to get my hopes up too high, but Jasiri returning, or the Outlanders....or both.. I hoped to see that, because of the outlands beeing a prominent part in this new season. And Scar was about to return.. how amazing is that!

So there was speculation about outlandish Lions, Hyenas, scenarios that would really fit into this happening.

And we got 3 bachelor idiots that are too selfish too adjust themselves to their families.
So they decide to be their own family in this episode. What kind of message is that? Three annoying sociopaths are introduced.
I thought maybe Rafiki was about to teach them wisdom and the value of adjusting to fit in, which is very important, instead of demanding to everybody to adjust to you, because you just don't care enough to be a little polite (it is wat you see in many kids these days)
In the end scene, we are at pride rock. Simba, Nala, Kiara (in and out) are there but Tiifu and Zuri are gone once again.
They really have a minor, minor role.

Last episode about Beshte the hippo beeing flushed away had some funny scenes, but made me cringe.
But this episode makes me want to throw away my laptop and all TLG stuff in it.
Please let the next episode be better. This episode was pure rubbish and a shame for our generation.

Burping, farting, bad behaviour. Those things do not belong in a good circle of life kind of world.
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby TTB-Kun » September 24th, 2017, 12:47 am

you gave too much weight to those rumors about the plots of the upcoming episodes so, it was your fault.
The episode was not a complete disaster, and also that thing about the second bakora staff lost i don't tink it was just a case, in all episode of season 2 we saw at least something obout the bigger plot of the season with scar and his plan, so maybe this will come back in a future episode.
TTB-Kun

Pride Points: 11

Postby SimbasGuard » September 24th, 2017, 4:54 am

[quote="zerodix"]And we got 3 bachelor idiots that are too selfish too adjust themselves to their families.
So they decide to be their own family in this episode. What kind of message is that?[/quote]

That is the initial reaction I had to what a thought the moral of the episode was. However Panpardus made this excellent point.

[quote="Panpardus"]I actually found it interesting that the show tried to somehow play with the angle regarding how adolescent males of a variety of social species are usually kicked out of their natal herds/groups when they come of age (in part because of their rambunctious, hormonal behavior), but nobody actually acknowledging that fact in-universe - not even Rafiki - was something I found very odd, and the way the show resolves the issue felt like they were trying to reach for some moral that didn't really exist here. In my opinion, it would've been a lot better if they'd just played it straight, then you could have a more interesting theme or moral while still having the same ending. (Once again, the downsides of being a preschool-targeted show.)[/quote]

[quote="zerodix"]I thought maybe Rafiki was about to teach them wisdom and the value of adjusting to fit in, which is very important, instead of demanding to everybody to adjust to you, because you just don't care enough to be a little polite (it is wat you see in many kids these days)[/quote]

That would have been a great ending if the 3 new characters had been younger animals that ran away, because of not getting things their way. Instead of teen animals bordering on being old enough to be on their own anyway.

Also the 3 new character did ultimately find a place where they could be loud without bothering anyone. That is a positive, because they won't be a pain in the neck to the other denizens of The Pride Lands.

SimbasGuard

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Kallo » September 25th, 2017, 12:43 am

It was an alright episode. Was cool seeing Makini again and of course Rafiki is always interesting to see, as well. The three new characters were your typical annoying ones, but I think they did a good enough job at presenting them as your typical damn annoying teenagers who still aren't bad people and have a good heart. At least they still kinda remained annoying in the end, instead of turning the complete opposite, which is the typical cop out with characters like these in cartoons. In fact, I'd have liked to see even a bit more of their annoying side towards the end, just to drive in the point more that they didn't really change (because there was no need to. They never did anything to hurt others and respected their wishes), but that not everyone's personality simply matches and that's ok.

One thing this episode made me think is that I really think they should set some more limits to Kion's Roar. It would be a good time to introduce them and even make episodes about the subject, at this point. The Roar has and will always continue to be way too powerful and a bit of a deus ex, but a lot would be improved if they gave Kion some limitations in using it. Sure, they always try to throw in the "He can't do that right now cause it'd hurt innocents/it would destroy places/cause some other trouble" stuff etc. which works to a point (except not really sure how well that works as an excuse anymore since he supposedly learned how to direct it), but it would really be beneficial for the series in general and also Kion's character to limit it. He uses it so effortlessly. They should really emphasize how powerful the Roar really is, and have it take a lot out of Kion to use it.

Also, somebody please caption that part of Fuli saying "Please". It was so adorable! xD I'd post that clip in every online conversation ever! :fuli:
Kallo

Pride Points: 21

Postby Simba_Lion » September 25th, 2017, 9:29 pm

What I don't like in this episode is that fire is considered to be the biggest disaster, although savannah fires are necessary for ecosystem and plant community requires fire that encourages dormant seedlings to grow.
Yes, fire can be dangerous and I totally understand it had to be controled because Rafiki and Makini were in danger but still, I had the feeling they wanted us to believe that fire is the worst thing.

Aaand, I don't like that Bakora Stuff doesn't have a value: Makini keeps losing it and Rafiki just says "you will find an other one"? Isn't it something that can't be replaced because it's the only one? Strange to me.

Also, I thought prey species were supposed to protect young ones (like Mzaha) and not to exile them.
Simba_Lion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Simba
Pride Points: 4

Postby Panpardus » September 25th, 2017, 10:35 pm

[quote="Simba_Lion"]What I don't like in this episode is that fire is considered to be the biggest disaster, although savannah fires are necessary for ecosystem and plant community requires fire that encourages dormant seedlings to grow.
[/quote]
True, true. Granted, only the beginning example actually seems to have been something of an unnecessary extinguishment, though it did seem like the fire had burned a fair amount before the Guard even got to it. The thing about wildfire management in savannas and such habitats is that you only want the fires to last so long and stay within a given space that you're actively trying to freshen up. Yes, it would've been nice if this was actually touched upon in the episode, but generally they weren't necessarily acting out of turn.

[quote="Simba_Lion"]Aaand, I don't like that Bakora Stuff doesn't have a value: Makini keeps losing it and Rafiki just says "you will find an other one"? Isn't it something that can't be replaced because it's the only one? Strange to me.[/quote]
Very much agreed, bakora staves do seem somewhat dispensable at the rate Makini's lost them.

[quote="Simba_Lion"]Also, I thought prey species were supposed to protect young ones (like Mzaha) and not to exile them.[/quote]
Large herbivores typically only protect calves until the beginning of their adolescent period, at which point the males get thrown out of the herd. We like to think that such systems are exclusive to lions, but it's actually very common practice among herding and otherwise group-living animals.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby SimbasGuard » September 27th, 2017, 9:39 am

Also in The Lion Guard each herd of animals has a specific grazing ground. Thurston's Herd was in danger of loosing theirs.

SimbasGuard

Previous

Return to The Lion Guard