"The Bite of Kenge" - Season 2 Ep. 11

Re: "The Bite of Kenge" - Season 2 Ep. 11

Postby SimbasGuard » November 9th, 2017, 11:23 am

[quote="Kallo"]Hmm, dunno. Feels like a lot of "maybes". I don't enjoy nitpicking at children's cartoons too much usually, but I also don't like when there's multiple very obvious nitpicks throughout the episode, and you need to think up like 10 forced explanations to excuse the episode. Especially when the nitpicks are things I'd have wondered about just as much as a kid.[/quote]

Please don't take this as a slam, but I am the type of fan that when something is left unexplained or in this case pointed out to me. I want to come up with a reason to explain it.

[quote="Kallo"] Sure, MAYBE Kenge was introduced to Scar but from what we can see, it didn't happen.[/quote]

A more realistic explanation is this. there is only 22 minutes in an episode to tell a story targeted at a preschool audience. They have to keep the pacing of the story fast enough so as to not lose the target audince. The song was used as a way of introducing Kenge and was a good enough song. Although story-wise it probably would have been better to actually show Kenge being recruited. I personalty wouldn't mind if they didn't have to have a song in every episode.

[quote="Kallo"]Sure, Kion uses the Roar as a last resort, but he's learned to control it now and there was no possible danger using it in that situation. I think when Kenge attacked them, it was time for that last resort.[/quote]

Well we have (at least to my knowledge) seen Kion use The Sniper Roar on a moving target. Perhaps he needs a stationary target for it to work. There is also the matter that when Fuli was bitten, Kion became visibly angry (not enraged, but definitely mad) and attacked Kenge (I had to see the the episode a 2nd time to pick up on this).

[quote="Kallo"](Note: I think this is more a fault of the Roar in general, than this particular episode or scene. The Roar's too OP and the writers need to come up with excuses for Kion not to use it or the episodes wouldn't go anywhere. The sooner they get rid of the Roar, the better it would be, in my opinion).[/quote]

I still think that as long as they are cubs, The Roar is needed. Otherwise having Simba and/or Nala rush in every time The Guard got in over their heads would be more tiresome than The Roar. Now while I think it is highly unlikely, when the final battle with Scar happens. Being that it was The Roar that awoke Scar, Kion my have to sacrifice The Roar (or at least weaken it) to defeat him.

[quote="Kallo"]Also, I'm sure the melons would've been valuable to the hyenas as well, but Scar seems smart enough that he'd order the hyenas to break them if all else fails.[/quote]

I was thinking more along the lines of Janja would think why break them when er can keep them for ourselves. However with The Skinks around that might not have been a good idea but then again Janja might not have taken that into consideration.

[quote="Kallo"]The tables really need to take a major turn in the next few episodes and then until the end of the season. We definitely need a more clear explanation on what exactly is Scar's plan and we need to start seeing it progress. Right now it's just "new plan to weaken the Pride Lands, send minions to do it, Guard stops minions, back to point A". It's very redundant and as said, feels like we're going nowhere with it. Just running still at the same point of the story. Didn't bother me so much with Janja, but with Scar they're clearly trying to build this bigger, more progressing story for the season (or perhaps even past it), and I feel like it needs to start moving by this point.[/quote]

Well this is most likely a case of not wanting to confuse the target audince too much :oops: In story-wise look at it this way. With the exception of "Swept Away" in every episode so far (That he has been in) Scar has either gained a new recruit or in the case of "Rescue In The Outlands" Intel on The Guard. He knows Jasiri is their ally, he may seek to exploit that in the future. As long as the heroes are unaware of his return. Scar can play the long game.

One other thing I thought of is with Rafiki being gone for the day in this episode. Could he be looking into the odd situation as of late?
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby zerodix » November 9th, 2017, 4:47 pm

what is it with all there reptile characters in season 2? is it a jurassic park meets disney mashup? come on, do some big cats, lions, or some new hyena's or whatever disney!
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby Panpardus » November 10th, 2017, 12:52 am

I originally wrote something immediately after this episode aired but then life happened. (And I deleted my post and didn't feel like rewriting it.)

Anyway, I overall liked it. There were some weird story things like overlooking Kenge's recruitment and his somehow already knowing that the hyenas were out looking for him at the behest of Ushari and Scar, and I thought they somewhat stretched the importance of the watermelons a little too much - not to mention that plotting to steal watermelons is so below Scar's pay grade that the episode would've worked better had he not been in it, particularly since he didn't really do anything here anyway - but it was alright enough and one I'd rewatch.

I liked Kenge; right now I actually consider him to be in the Makucha/Makuu/Mpishi tier of good rogue antagonists who can genuinely threaten/challenge the Guard. The music they used for him was delightfully eerie and haunting, playing up/foreshadowing his venomous capabilities. He had a bunch of good fight scenes and I felt he physically interacted with the other characters in an appropriately rock monitor "don't give a-" way, and pitting him against Bunga was a good match here, though I'd have liked to have seen more of Bunga's actual fighting skills here if they're going to hype up this confrontation so much. Also, contrary to my biologist fears, they didn't actually run too far afield with the venomous aspect of his arsenal. Granted, if I were writing the episode I'd at least show some of the venom's other effects more clearly, such as the burning pain (not to a graphic degree, but enough that we can tell that Kion and co. are more than just passively inconvenienced by their temporary paralysis) and dizziness that comes with a more severe monitor bite.

A little introspection would seem in order, too; you have at least Kion and Fuli together, along with Beshte; why not have them have an actual meaningful conversation of some sort? Maybe a chat about how Fuli, who prides herself on her mobility, feels disgruntled and fearful of any long-term repercussions on her health and running ability? Maybe Kion coming to grips with the fact that they essentially just suffered their first combat loss? In terms of what they did do, Makini was pleasant enough, though I don't know whether to be annoyed by the gag of her losing her staff or not. I initially hoped it would have some sort of a payoff later on, but I'm increasingly thinking "maybe not".
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby SimbasGuard » November 12th, 2017, 1:15 pm

[quote="zerodix"]what is it with all there reptile characters in season 2? is it a jurassic park meets disney mashup? come on, do some big cats, lions, or some new hyena's or whatever disney![/quote]

Unless You count Kiburi's followers, the only new reptile villains are Kenge, The Skinks, and Kiburi himself. at 11 episodes I don't think three reptiles is too many.

Also short of Zira trying to recruit some Male Lions to strengthen The Outsiders (which I don't think she would do given her long-term plans, loyalty to Scar, and not wanting to relinquish leadership), I doubt we will see any mew Lion Villains as they would be a threat for Simba to deal with not The Guard.

[quote="Panpardus"]A little introspection would seem in order, too; you have at least Kion and Fuli together, along with Beshte; why not have them have an actual meaningful conversation of some sort? Maybe a chat about how Fuli, who prides herself on her mobility, feels disgruntled and fearful of any long-term repercussions on her health and running ability? Maybe Kion coming to grips with the fact that they essentially just suffered their first combat loss?[/quote]

That would have been very interesting to see, but maybe they thought it would be too deep for the target audince.

There is also this way to look at it.

Kion: Wouldn't want to say or do anything to shake his team's confidence.

Fuli: Wouldn't want to admit weakness of any kind.

and Beshte: Always tries to remain optimistic.

Although I'd imagine that Kion and Fuli did have thought like the ones you mention going through their minds. Even though they did not show it.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Kallo » November 15th, 2017, 12:15 am

[quote] There were some weird story things like overlooking Kenge's recruitment and his somehow already knowing that the hyenas were out looking for him at the behest of Ushari and Scar[/quote]

I initially wondered about this too and thought it was weird, but then I realised they probably intended that Ushari met up with Kenge and told him the plan, before telling him to meet up with the hyenas.

[quote]In terms of what they did do, Makini was pleasant enough, though I don't know whether to be annoyed by the gag of her losing her staff or not. I initially hoped it would have some sort of a payoff later on, but I'm increasingly thinking "maybe not".[/quote]

I don't think too much of the staff getting destroyed over and over. It's just a silly running gag. And it's kinda funny too; how the staff is supposed to be this super important thing, but it can get destroyed and replaced over and over again. And how Makini is having really bad luck with it. xD
Kallo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 21

Previous

Return to The Lion Guard