The Wisdom of Kongwe

The Wisdom of Kongwe

Postby TTB-Kun » April 3rd, 2018, 8:23 am

https://watchtlg.netlify.com/watch?v=4364513
Watching it right now. Brb in 20 min
TTB-Kun

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 11

Re: The Wisdom of Kongwe

Postby JackStover » April 3rd, 2018, 8:32 am

I loved Fuli's songs in season one, but I didn't like this one. Always happy to see Steve Blum's leopard come back. Hated the tortoise-and-the-hare tropes, though. It's so over-done.
JackStover

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 17

Postby TTB-Kun » April 3rd, 2018, 8:56 am

so, first thing first.
I saw a lot of people complain that kion was always speaking to mufasa wile simba didn't, and we have an answer for that in this episode, Simba can talk to mufasa too at will, we just didn't saw him before cause was not the point of the story.
as for the epiode itself is fine, a bit lame ending, and the song is just a calssic general fuli song i never liked particularly, i find fuli's song so uninspired and generic.
TTB-Kun

Pride Points: 11

Postby Elton John » April 3rd, 2018, 9:08 am

something sounded really off about fulis voice compared to ‘my way’. Like it couldn’t hit all the high notes and the cracks were easy to spot.

otherwise an ok episode. I liked the fight between makucha and fuli tho I think makucha gave up too easily.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby zerodix » April 3rd, 2018, 9:29 am

just watched it. kinda enjoyable, but the "slow down so you see more" was the only wisdom clue that tortoise gave away. the song was ok but couldnt top fuli's " my own way" song. I liked to see Makini and Fuli bonding, really shows off their personalities. I like both, Makini is sweet, a little naive and funny while Fuli is more phraghmatic and straight-ahead. a nice episode with only a little fighting in it (i am not into long fighting scenes beeing shown to kids since it is a bad example of dealing with conflict and anger) overall i liked the episode but the filler scenes with Beshte helping out as a bridge support were too extra.
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby SwagaliciousXXX » April 3rd, 2018, 3:42 pm

Anyone else feel the moral at the end was kind of dumb. The enemy is preparing war on the Pridelands and the tortoise's wise words is to wait and be patient? If she added "Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never be in peril" instead of "good always wins" then I would be on board with the message. I don't know. The ending message irked me for some reason...
“Arthur, I finally have my answer to your question, “Why do you think birds fly?” Birds fly because they want to fly. They don’t need a reason to, even if their wings snap and doom them to die. They don’t fly for anyone’s benefit. They don’t fly because they were ordered to. They fly because they want to fly and for no other reason!”
SwagaliciousXXX
It'sOverAnakin!IHaveTheTopLine

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

YOU UNDERESTIMATE MY POWER!

Nickname(s): Swag
Pride Points: 13

Postby AnonLion » April 3rd, 2018, 4:41 pm

I really wish I didn't but I had a lot of problems with this episode.
Right off the bat Simba already knows of Scar and we don't get to see his initial reaction. You think that after everything he went through Simba would have been horrified, heck Nala too, but we don't get to see any of that which would have led to some interesting character dynamics.
I had my suspicions that Simba could talk to Mufasa since his song with Kion on Rise of Scar, but since when has he been able to do that? Will it stop being a thing he can do? And why? Because in SP at one point he's asking for Mufasa's advice but obviously gets no response.
If Simba wanted Kongwe's advise so badly and didn't want to wait too long why wasn't he the one to go to her instead? He must have known she was a tortoise. If he didn't know about her and Rafiki was the one that just mentioned she was the wisest animal that would have been a reasonable explanation, but clearly that wasn't the case. I guess it's too preposterous for the king to go search for someone when they could go to Pride Rock.
The side plot of bridge Beshte didn't add anything. It was pointless and nothing in the episode would have changed if we hadn't seen it. You can tell it's just there to fill more episode time. Why not use that time instead for Kion and Simba's initial talk regarding Scar?
Kongwe's advice wasn't helpful at all. There's a solution but you'll have to wait to find it? That sounds like something Rafiki could have said too. There was no point in bringing Kongwe all the way to Pride Rock, and I'm surprised both Simba and Kion were satisfied with that answer. They're willing to calmly wait for an epiphany while Scar plots a war against the Pridelands? Honestly not a good idea.
Fuli's song wasn't good either. She didn't reach those high notes completely and you could tell it was hard on her voice, yet she had to do it like 5 times. The lyrics and the music although not terrible weren't that memorable either.

Overall not a good episode for me, the only relevant thing was telling Mufasa about Scar, so I won't be rewatching this one unless I happen to catch it on TV.
Simba and Nala give me life

I also just began writing TLK fanfiction !
AnonLion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 8

Postby Panpardus » April 3rd, 2018, 9:26 pm

Everyone pretty much stated most of the problems and qualms I had with this one. Aside from going back for a couple little details, there's really not much here that warrants a rewatch. At least part of the Guard's subplot could've at least been spent actually talking about Scar with Simba, Rafiki, and the other older characters. And yes, Kongwe's advice was really not worth all the trouble of bringing her to Pride Rock. That said, I actually thought Fuli's song was well performed as usual - the "cracks" in the high notes were clearly intentional; it's a vocal effect/technique I've observed, even if it doesn't sound that pleasant to a lot of people - and catchy enough (albeit it felt pretty lazily written and arranged) but it was really abrupt and unnecessary to the story.

The one thing that seriously bothered me that nobody's yet mentioned was the Makucha encounter. I was afraid they were going to have this happen eventually but there's no way that Fuli should be able to take Makucha; he's clearly larger and heavier than her, and just as mobile if not more so due to his climbing ability, and cheetahs really aren't built for fighting (especially against other big cats; you'll never see one taking on a leopard) so he has no reason to be afraid of her. You could have a similar encounter/rivalry had the enemy in this case been an African painted dog (a speed-based predator with much more stamina that's a much more even match for a cheetah in a physical fight) or even a younger leopard.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Postby Elton John » April 3rd, 2018, 9:29 pm

uh I mentioned that Makucha gave up too easily.

The only thing I liked about this episode is that it’s clear that the animation and art are getting better and better as the show goes on. It’s a substantial leap from return of the roar.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Panpardus » April 3rd, 2018, 9:34 pm

[quote="Elton John"]uh I mentioned that Makucha gave up too easily.

The only thing I liked about this episode is that it’s clear that the animation and art are getting better and better as the show goes on. It’s a substantial leap from return of the roar.[/quote]

Fair enough, although my point was that there shouldn't have been a 'fight' in the first place. Some standoffs, sure, but nothing more than that. Could've done without the extended chase scenes, visually interesting as they were. If he wasn't going to just bat Fuli out of the way (like he did with Makini), then he should've been the one trying to catch her the whole time, not the other way around.

Also, I just remembered that they did this weird thing where they reused a lot of footage from "My Own Way" and other clips from previous episodes for some reason during the song. That just reeked of either creative laziness or a serious lack of budget.
Last edited by Panpardus on April 3rd, 2018, 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Next

Return to The Lion Guard