Male lions

Male lions

Postby Warthog » May 7th, 2018, 2:25 pm

I was thinking about the fact that we don't see any male lion in the pride, besides Mufasa and Scar (and Simba), in the first movie and, on reflection, I realized that The Lion Guard probably explain their absence.
Thanks to the show, in fact, we know that there were four male lions in Scar's guard, and that Nala's father lived in the Pridelands at least since he was a cub.

My theory is that when Mufasa became king, the only males in the pride (in addition to him) were Scar, his guard and Nala's father. All the others, for example the members of the guard that saved Nala's father when he fell from a tree, were already dead, probably of old age.
When the members of Scar's guard refused to side with him against Mufasa, Scar killed them, and Nala's father, shortly after having conceived his daughter, died somehow (we know from the musical that Sarafina ate Banzai's father, so maybe Banzai's mother killed Sarafina's mate with the help of other hyenas as a revenge), and Mufasa and Scar became the only males in the pride.

What do you think?
Last edited by Warthog on May 8th, 2018, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warthog

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 2

Re: Male lions

Postby TheLionPrince » May 8th, 2018, 7:22 pm

The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar pretty much stated what is exactly your theory. Scar possessed the power of the Roar, and then he wanted the other lions to help him overthrow Mufasa. They refused, and Scar killed them in which he lost his power. It was never directly stated that Nala's father was in the Lion Guard, but I think that's the case, and it explains his absence.

As for the Broadway musical which states Sarafina ate Banzai's father, I tend to view the musical as an alternate universe. It adds in elements that don't apply in the original film such as making Rafiki a female character.

[quote="Warthog"]When the members of Scar's guard refused to side with him against Mufasa, Scrat killed them, and Nala's father, shortly after having conceived his daughter, died somehow (we know from the musical that Sarafina ate Banzai's father, so maybe Banzai's mother killed Sarafina's mate with the help of other hyenas as a revenge), and Mufasa and Scar became the only males in the pride.

What do you think?[/quote]

Scrat killed someone?
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Warthog » May 8th, 2018, 9:40 pm

[quote="TheLionPrince"]It was never directly stated that Nala's father was in the Lion Guard, but I think that's the case, and it explains his absence.

As for the Broadway musical which states Sarafina ate Banzai's father, I tend to view the musical as an alternate universe. It adds in elements that don't apply in the original film such as making Rafiki a female character. [/quote]

I thought that too, but we saw paintings of Scar's guard and no one of the members was red-maned, and we know for sure that Nala's father was. So I tried to find another explanation.

I didn't know that. But after all, there are plenty of ways a lion like him could have died (a hunt gone wrong, for example).

[quote="TheLionPrince"][quote="Warthog"]When the members of Scar's guard refused to side with him against Mufasa, Scrat killed them, and Nala's father, shortly after having conceived his daughter, died somehow (we know from the musical that Sarafina ate Banzai's father, so maybe Banzai's mother killed Sarafina's mate with the help of other hyenas as a revenge), and Mufasa and Scar became the only males in the pride.

What do you think?[/quote]

Scrat killed someone?[/quote]

Oops. :omgwtfbbq:
It was a lapsus, XD the Ice Age series is my favourite franchise (I corrected it, anyway).
Warthog

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby TTB-Kun » May 12th, 2018, 12:47 pm

i just think that is implied that othr lions exist in the pride but we just never see them.
even when simba was angry at kion for the choice of his member of the lion guard is implied that other lions exist in the pridelands
TTB-Kun

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 11

Postby Warthog » May 12th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Yeah, it confused me. There should be at least six male lions in the pride during Kiara and Kion's childhood, to father Tiifu, Zuri and the, at least, four lions Kion should have chosen (the members of a guard should be the same age, I guess), if those cubs aren't siblings, obviously. But during the battle with the Outlanders, or when Kiara and Kovu officially become a couple (moments with the whole pride), no male lions can be seen besides Simba and Kovu.
It makes no sense...
Warthog

Postby PridelandsPhantom » May 14th, 2018, 2:50 am

We know that during when Simba was a cub there were other male cubs born in the pride including Tojo, Chumvi, and Malka (although he is from a different pride). In a comic, Simba even is said to have cousins (genders are unknown, but possibly male). Kion was an exception in choosing guard members that were not male and even a female member, Fuli who if I remember reading correctly is the first female member of the guard. There are probably more males than we see in the series that are rogues and not part of the pride. Male cubs are also being born, however, to fit in with the theory that Simba is the only male fathering cubs ( I know Kiara's friends are an exception not explained) we don't see the other cubs. Simba and Nala weren't the only cubs during Mufasa's reign either. Many young males are killed in fights or run off as rogues.

Ni, Mega, Two-Mane, and others are adult males, but from what I know are rogues. Is is possible that when Scar became king he killed any remaining male cubs to eliminate a threat, but that is theory. It is also possible that lionesses with young male cubs exited the Pridelands in fear after Scar became king.
Dog Mom to Misty, Sango, Tami, Abby, and Kawaii. :)
Three Angel Babies at the Rainbow Bridge: Mija, London, and Olga :cry:
PridelandsPhantom
Kion is My Waifu!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Disney Fan and Lioness at Heart

Nickname(s): Mako, Dog Mom, Alex, Jessi
Pride Points: 12

Postby SimbasGuard » May 14th, 2018, 8:35 am

From what has been implied on the show. In Return of The Roar: Simba Expected Kion to form a Lion Guard composed of Lions, Simba told Kion that there are plenty of good Lions for The Guard and since I doubt that when Simba told Kion to gather The Pride Land's Fastest, Strongest, Bravest, and Keenest of Sight. He meant just any Rogue Males that happen to be passing through that day. As well as the fact that we find out that Fuli is the first Female to ever serve in The Guard. In The Rise of Scar, it is safe to assume that there has to be other Male Lions in the Pride Lands. My Sister has an excellent theory on this. Since Simba alone is The Lion King, these other Male Lions must not be part of Simba's Pride, but are still loyal to him. Basically They would be Simba's Bannermen. (In real life said Lions would be refereed to as lodgers. Although in Real Life a Male Lodger would not be tolerated by a Pride).

In the world of The Lion King such Bannermen would be useful to Simba, because unlike a real Lion Pride we all know that The only Lioness Simba is doing anything that will...add to the Circle of Life with is Nala.

I think The Bannermen idea explains where Tiifu and Zuri's Father/Fathers are from.

[quote="Warthog"]Yeah, it confused me. There should be at least six male lions in the pride during Kiara and Kion's childhood, to father Tiifu, Zuri and the, at least, four lions Kion should have chosen (the members of a guard should be the same age, I guess),[/quote]

Male cubs Kion's age were something I did not think about. Perhaps since Simba obviously places no restrictions on his Lionesses interactions with these Bannermen, so perhaps it is a situation like this:

A Lioness that is that mate of one of Simba's Bannermen works at Pride Rock for a set amount of time. (Like a Human working a job) when her shift is over said lioness returns to her family living away from Pride Rock. It could be that Male Cubs born in a situation like this are not permitted to come to Pride Rock (Thus keeping them away from Kiara).

I imagine said Bannermen would fight at Simba's side, if they were called upon.
For Example: If Kovu and Nuka were part of The Outlanders when Zira chose to attack The Pride Lands at the end of Lion King 2 and Nuka was a viable threat. Simba might have called upon his Bannermen for support.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Return to The Lion Guard