Things I miss or don't understand

Things I miss or don't understand

Postby Simba_Lion » September 6th, 2018, 6:15 pm

I've been collecting these thoughts for a long time. Let me write it down.

More contact between Kion and his family.
Kion spends almost all of his time with his friends, the Guard and we can hardly see him with his family. Yeah, there are some exceptions (Udugu, Never roar again, etc) but it would have been good to hear a conversation between Kion, Kiara and Simba talking about the Great Kings for example - or Kion telling his father he had seen Mufasa in the clouds.
Or what about Zira’s family? How come Simba didn’t tell Kion about Zira? What was the reason why they kept in secret? In SP Simba, Nala and Zazu do warn cub Kiara about the Outlanders but what about Kion? I also wonder if Kion told Simba about his adventure in the Outlands and if so, what was the conversation? How did Simba and Nala react? What did Kiara do? I could totally imagine a scene with them: Kion annoying Kiara with her "love" while Kiara would love to know more about Kovu. Would be a funny scene.
Jasiri? What about Jasiri? Do Kion’s parents know about that? What would be their reaction?
It would be so good to see another mother-son-daughter episode too: for example a hunting lesson episode where Kiara and Kion get in trouble with buffalos and Nala saves them.

So Kion’s life is not exactly an ordinary lion cub life and this is what I miss a little.

Does the Lion Guard do everything?
When it comes to fight Outlanders, where are Simba and his lionesses? In the end of SP we can see them facing Zira’s army. But what about now? Why don’t they come to protect their land from intruders? Does Simba just let his son fight alone as if he didn’t care? An overprotective father who always sent Timon and Pumbaa after his daughter? I don’t understand it.
Also, does Kion have permission to invite hyenas to live in the Pride Lands? Isn't it the king's decision? (Anyway, chasing hyenas away would be the king's task too in my opinion.)
The Ukumbusho episode was weird too. The whole royal family was there, the elephants got in trouble and only the Guard went after them? What were Simba and the lionesses doing? Why didn't they help?
What about the very first episode? Kiara got in trouble with a hurt paw, surrounded by a stampede. Simba and Nala were there but did nothing.

Too much focus on the Lion Guard.

I grew up with The Lion King, I belong to the older generation so probably this is why I have these feelings.
Simba_Lion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Simba
Pride Points: 4

Re: Things I miss or don't understand

Postby ayperiumbra » September 7th, 2018, 3:49 am

If we go with The Lion Guard being a mid-equel between TLK and Simba's Pride...which is odd in itself if we assume Fluffy is in fact Kiara and Kion wasn't born then in Simba's Pride...but that's a whole other story...

We know in Simba's Pride at the end, the pride lander lionesses were getting their butts handed to them and being ripped apart by the Outlanders. We never really saw the Pridelanders doing much fighting at all in the story so maybe they do not practice fighting and just lounge around all day at Pride Rock, minus the lionesses hunting for food?

Personally, while I consider Kion as canon (but then I see Fluffy as Fluffy and Kopa as canon as well), I don't really consider TLG canon...same with the Lion King 1 1/2 movie. It seems kind of dangerous when you think about it to let your cub face off against crocodiles, hyenas, etc. But this was targeted towards preschoolers I would say so of course Disney dumbs everything down and cuts out all the gritty stuff.

I also grew up with TLK and TLK 2 Simba's Pride (I'm a 90s era kid) so...yeah I get what you're saying about how it seems TLG is supposed to do everything instead of Simba taking his duties as king seriously. It doesn't seem like Kion spends a whole ton of time with his family as you have pointed out in your post...there's like what...3 episodes or something where the family is actually entirely together?

I guess, to the creators, that it wouldn't be much of TLG if Kion hung out with his family a lot but still...show Kion spending time with his family, maybe even other lion cubs. There's got to be others besides Kion, Kiara, Tifu and Zuri...and those latter two haven't really appeared much lately.
ayperiumbra

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Postby Simba_Lion » September 9th, 2018, 8:08 pm

In my opinion, Fluffy is Kopa (I know some say it's Kiara) and the reason why I think it because there is a difference between the two presentation ceremony plus the two cubs have different appearance as well. I consider Kopa canon too.
To me, TLK and TLK2 are the original (canon) storylines, TLK 1 1/2 is an added story (we can learn more about Timon and Pumbaa, I like it, though I prefer the original scenes - for example TLK's 'Can you feel the love tonight?' scene VS TLK 1 1/2' 'Can you feel the love tonight?' scene). TLG is an alternative story.

Hehe, it seems the creators have read these lines because the next episode (The Underground Adventure) was more familial.
Simba_Lion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby KionScar » September 9th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Could always presume Simba & others are taking care of other issues/problems in the lands... Given how big the Kingdom itself is...
KionScar

Pride Points: 10

Postby Simba_Lion » September 10th, 2018, 9:42 pm

But all the time? And anyway, is there a bigger issue than chasing hyenas, etc away?
Because I understand if a hyrax can't come down from a tree or if someone get stuck in the mud or any special situation might need a complex group to help but handling hyenas still should be the king's task, in my opinion. Or at least be there when the Guard tries to chase them away.
Simba_Lion

Postby KionScar » September 11th, 2018, 8:53 pm

Simba can't exactly be in two places at once, it's not impossible to presume other trouble farther off with rogues, the outsiders, etc.
KionScar

Pride Points: 10

Postby Simba_Lion » September 11th, 2018, 9:46 pm

I am asking again: all the time? (I don't think)
Even if just for one episode, that'd be so good to see Simba and the Guard work together against the Outsiders. At least just for once.
Simba_Lion

Postby Aelwen » September 12th, 2018, 9:08 am

The exploanation is simple: it's a kid's show with simple plot and simple events. they don't want to waste time on Simba-Kion relationships or Nala-Kion or smth like that, It's all about LG.
Aelwen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby DGFone » September 13th, 2018, 3:21 pm

As a real life, not-in-TLK-universe explanation, keeping Simba and the other adults away allows the show to be focused on the Lion Guard. This is where I admit that I wasn't able to get into The Lion Guard, and don't watch the show, although I did see the occasional episode here and there.

It would be nice to see an episode where the guard has to work with the adults - it will allow the stakes to be raised higher as well as providing good opportunity for expanding the relationships not seen too often in the show- seriously, Nala appears to be even less involved in The Lion Guard than Simba's Pride. On the flip side though, the stakes can't be increased too much, otherwise it would lead to obvious questions of why are the adults so useless as to rely on their children to solve very serious problems.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Simba_Lion » September 13th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Maybe we will see them together when time comes to fight Scar and his army. I would be very surprised if the adults didn't care about it or stayed out of this and just let the cubs fight alone against the Pride Lands' biggest enemy.
Simba_Lion

Next

Return to The Lion Guard