Fuli is the only member of the Guard who has killed, right?

Fuli is the only member of the Guard who has killed, right?

Postby JackStover » February 19th, 2019, 1:09 am

The show has only ever casually referenced its heroes hunting. Fuli was shown failing to catch a gazelle several times, and Zuri dismissively said she hates the taste of gazelle and referred to them as "hyena food". Beyond that, the show really tries to avoid the issue. But I wish they wouldn't. (it's also worth noting that the times Fuli was shown hunting, the gazelle never talked in an attempt to make it less problematic for the kids)

I don't count bugs since they never seem to be sapient in this franchise. Because Kiara and Kion are royalty, they have others hunt for them, so they likely have never killed another creature before. But Fuli? She lives alone and clearly hunts often. She's chased down and killed some of the very animals she's sworn to protect as a member of the Guard. I know, "circle of life" and all of that, but I imagine in would still be hard for prey species to genuinely appreciate the Guard saving them if Fuli can return later that day and just kill them outright.

If the show weren't preschool, I really wish they'd have an episode where a prey species is afraid of the Guard. Who doesn't want their help, as they don't trust them due to the predator-prey dynamic. I know the rules of the Pride Lands do protect prey from other predators who would hunt too much, but if Fuli ate your brother I don't think you'd be too happy about it. The notion that prey animals would not only support their hunters, but befriend them, was always a bit farfetched in this franchise.
JackStover

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 17

Re: Fuli is the only member of the Guard who has killed, rig

Postby Elton John » February 19th, 2019, 1:31 am

I think of it like this

The pridelands are a mystical place where, unlike any other part of the world, there is some sense of stability where a large variety of animals can live and the lions rule because they not only protect from outside threats but various other inside threats.

Which is why the prey animals put up with some getting eaten. Cuz it doesn’t get better than this anywhere else.

About Fuli, she’s more likely to protect you than eat you so they aren’t afraid of her like they are janja.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: Fuli is the only member of the Guard who has killed, rig

Postby Panpardus » February 19th, 2019, 7:14 am

I mean, it's very species-specific, so the dislike/avoidance of the local predators wouldn't be as widespread as is often implied whenever this conversation comes up in relation to the franchise as a whole. I think it's part of the reason why most of the main herbivore characters we've been introduced to in this show and beyond are animals that aren't normally preyed on by any of the local predators, i.e. megaherbivores like elephants, rhinos, hippos, giraffes, and buffalo, and small animals like the galagos, aardvarks, and various reptile and bird species. Among the animals that are more common prey for lions and cheetahs -- assuming they're the only large terrestrial predators in the Pride Lands at this point -- we really only hear from the zebras and the occasional gazelle, respectively. (Sable antelope and oryx aren't usually lion prey, courtesy of their large size and massive horns.) You'll notice that wildebeest (common lion prey) don't talk in any of their appearances and Pumbaa is the only warthog we've ever seen in the franchise, if memory serves correctly. Accordingly, most of the herbivores you usually see are way out of Fuli's sights as potential prey, so I don't think there's much of a fuss to be had.

But yeah, it's always been my personal head canon that the prey animals that are routinely targeted by the lions at least are willing to put up with the greatly reduced predation pressure in the Pride Lands, and perhaps there's some personal ceremony or private ritual that goes on between hunter and prey if an individual is taken down. (I'm thinking the "look them in the eyes so the soul doesn't leave the body alone" from Mowgli or something like a personal thanksgiving type of ritual that many indigenous tribes throughout the world practice when they successfully take a prey animal's life.) It's also been the thought of mine -- reinforced by "The Savannah Summit" -- that the queen makes seasonal arrangements with the prey species to parse out hunting logistics for the coming season, like which herds are fair game and how many individuals can be taken in a given season. Of course this wouldn't be addressed in a preschool show, but it certainly seems like reasonable territory to have been explored if this was more for general audiences.
Panpardus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 51

Return to The Lion Guard