Versus: Disney edition! (Compare two and pick a favourite!)

Versus: Disney edition! (Compare two and pick a favourite!)

Postby PrincessKiara » September 16th, 2015, 9:42 pm

Kind of a clumsy title, but I was trying to grab peoples attention while also explaining what this topic is about.

So this is a mix of game and discussion.. The aim is to compare two Disney characters/songs/lines/villains/whatever of your choosing and pick a favourite of the two options.
Say, if you`re putting two characters up against each other, please explain the reason why you choose your favourite. They don`t have to be from the same movie/franchise. You can compare couples, soundtracks, sequels, anything Disney/Pixar, go crazy and have fun!

I`ll be posting an example or two below. You can add your own to keep the board going, reply to the ones I post here, or both!

Faline (Bambi) vs. Vixey (Fox and the Hound)

Faline all the way. I love both movies, but Faline is a better love intrest than Vixey. Granted, neither of these characters have any depth or real personality to them, but I much prefer how the relationship between Bambi and Faline developed. They were friends as fawns and fell in love later when they were grown up despite being apart for some time. As a fawn, Faline acts quite silly, teasing Bambi and giggling like a maniac, as an adult she is graceful and feminine, a good partner for Bambi.
Vixey on the other hand is annoying to me. I feel she is a very forced love intrest as the movies prime focus is Todd and Coppers relationship/friendship, and Vixey is just thrown into the mix because Todd needs someone to settle down and have cubs with, someone of his own kind who can help him settle in the wild. I just never liked Vixey, Faline is a more sympathetic character in my eyes.

^This is just an example, your reasoning doesn`t need to be very long or in-depth.

Another example:

The Little Mermaid 2 vs. Lady and the Tramp 2

Being a fan of both the original movies, I was not too pleased with these sequels. I`ve watched both, and think they`re OK. I pick The Little Mermaid 2 because I find Melody more interesting and likeable than Scamp, and her conflict more compelling.. eventhough both are basically the originals in reverse. :P Also, TLM 2 has a better focus on the parent/child relationship and features the original characters more than Lady and the Tramp 2 does..

Yet another example:

Ursula vs. Hades

This is a really tough one. They`re both entertaining, but I`ll go with Hades because I find him funnier. I do love Ursula too, though! Like I said, really difficult choice, they`re both excellent villains.

So you can pick your favourites out of the pairings I posted, or make up your own for more people to reply to. Hope this gave you a good idea of how this works, enjoy!
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Re: Versus: Disney edition! (Compare two and pick a favourit

Postby Queen Elsa » January 13th, 2016, 3:51 am

Okay. I'm going to give this a shot, starting with my choices to the above ones, and then adding my own. :D

Faline vs. Vixey

This one's a bit harder for me, since I haven't seen either of the movies in awhile, but I think I'll go with Faline, mainly because she was cute as a fawn, and I liked hers and Bambi's relationship. :)

The Little Mermaid 2 vs. Lady and the Tramp 2

Little Mermaid 2 for sure. :D I agree with you that Melody is definitely more interesting than Scamp. Also, I really love the Little Mermaid movies. While I don't entirely like Ariel in this one, Melody certainly makes up for it. I love all of the songs in this movie, too. I think the only thing I really liked about Lady and the Tramp 2 was Angel. She was a great character, in my opinion. :D

Ursula vs. Hades

As much as I like Little Mermaid, I think I'll have to go with Hades on this one, because, as you said, he is funnier. I can't really think of a scene where I found Ursula funny. :? But they are bothsome pretty well-done villains. :D

---

Okay. Now for my own:

Rapunzel (Tangled) vs. Anna (Frozen)

Both of these princesses are a lot alike, which would explain why people think they're cousins. As much as I like both of them, I think I'll go with Anna (and no, not just because Frozen's my favorite Disney movie). I like how she was used to show that the first guy you meet isn't always your true love. She also has some pretty good lines and songs (not that Rapunzel doesn't, but still). And her relationship with Elsa - which is what the main focus of the movie was on - is great. :D

Okay. That's all I can think of right now. :P
Signature made by Marizzle.

I'm feeling...
ImageImageImage
Queen Elsa
You've lost everything

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Your father, your tribe, your best friend

Nickname(s): Elsa, NKL, NalaKiaraLuver, QE, QI, Bulma
Pride Points: 57

Postby TheLionPrince » January 16th, 2016, 9:52 pm

^Ursula probably wasn't meant to be a comedic villain like Hades, but both villains like to strike a bargain and made sleazy deals with both title characters.

Maleficent vs. Jafar
Both characters are masters of dark magic, carry a staff everywhere they go, have a bird sidekick (Diablo the raven and Iago), and transform into a dragon/snake. This is no surprise since the filmmakers of Aladdin took inspiration from Maleficent during the conception of Jafar. Maleficent was fun, over-the-top, stood out more in being entertaining to watch than the fairies, Aurora, and Philip, and has one of the villain laughs ever. Jafar was fairly level-headed at first, conniving, manipulative, and pretty sinister. I'll choose Jafar though.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby PrincessKiara » January 20th, 2016, 1:03 am

Rapunzel (Tangled) vs. Anna (Frozen)

I am choosing Anna because I was never able to connect to Rapunzel. They`re both fun characters and I enjoy their stories, but I was way more invested in Anna than Rapunzel, even after watching Tangled several times.

Maleficent vs. Jafar

TheLionPrince pointed out some things I had not noticed before, I didn`t realize the similarities between these two until now.
Although Maleficent is quite iconic, and I do enjoy female villains, I am choosing Jafar. I much prefer the movie he`s in, and I find his transformation into a snake, and finally an all-powerful genie more awesome than Maleficent as a dragon.

Next:

Young Tarzan vs. Mowgli

Although Mowgli actually got some character to him in The Jungle Book 2, I found him to be little more than a whiny brat in the original. I find it hard to sympathize with him and what he`s going through when he just appears ungrateful and doesn`t understand how Bagheera is just trying to help him and keep him safe.
As for young Tarzan, I find him sweet and sympathetic. I can more easily identify with his struggle to fit in than I can with Mowgli`s desire to stay in the only home he`s ever known. Young Tarzan has deeper relationships than Mowgli has, I love seeing Tarzan and Kala together, they have a deeper bond than Mowgli and Baloo, for example. Tarzan all the way.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby TheLionPrince » January 21st, 2016, 10:49 pm

Robin Hood vs. Aladdin

Both are cunny, slick thieves that are accompanied with their best friends (Little John and Abu) and both are pursued by the head of the central law enforcement for their crimes, the Sheriff of Nottingham and Razoul. They both fall in love with a female of a higher social class, Maid Marian and Princess Jasmine. At the end, they restore power back to its rightful ruler and marry their love interest. While a little bland at times, Aladdin is charismatic and handsome looking, though insecure at being himself. Robin Hood was far more heroic with swashbuckling attributes borrowed from Errol Flynn, but there is no character arc for his character to go through. We know very little about him personally, and while he has a past with Maid Marian, it's not expounded on so I'm not too emotionally involve with him as a character. Aladdin wins here.

"One Last Hope" (from Hercules) vs. "I'll Make a Man Out of You" (from Mulan)

Both songs are featured in films about the title characters, Hercules and Mulan, being a misfit and can't conform well with their society. These songs act as training montages that starts out with the characters being rather pathetic at being a warrior, but they gradually improve later on. Their trainers, Shang and Phil, sings most of the song, and oddly enough, David Zippel co-wrote both songs. "One Last Hope" has a simple melody to it, but the lyrics sort of fall short. Zippel tries very hard to rhyme the stanzas ("The kind who wins trophies/Won't settle for low fees", "It takes more than sinew/Comes down to what's in you"), and Danny DeVito is not so much a good singer, but his voice sounds well enough like Jimmy Durante that it almost works.

That said, "I'll Make a Man Out of You", is my second favorite song in Mulan only behind "Reflection". Donny Osmond sounds so much like B.D. Wong (who provides Shang's speaking voice) that I can't tell the difference. The lyrics are more simplified here that it is enjoyable enough to hum and even sing along with, and overall, Mulan's character transformation was made more effective than Hercules's so "I'll Make a Man Out of You" is the victor to the finish line.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby existentialnihilist » April 16th, 2017, 11:20 am

Hellfire vs Be Prepared
I love both songs with their ominous tone and atmosphere which juxtapose the scenes preceding them. Both are also sung by my favourite Disney villains, Frollo and Scar respectively and explore clever, distinctive visual detail. However, I prefer "Hellfire" since it explores deeper and darker themes of lust and temptation. In contrast, "Be Prepared" has humorous aspects to it, particularly in the beginning of the song with Scar's interaction with the hyenas.

Zazu vs Chi Fu (Mulan)
The answer to this is obvious :) I prefer Zazu to Chi Fu. While both characters are seen as abrasive, especially Chi Fu (who I find detestable due to his misogynistic, arrogant demeanour) Zazu has redeeming qualities, shown when he attempts to baby sit the unruly Simba and Nala, as well as locating Simba during the stampede which allows Mufasa to save him. As a socially awkward and anxious person myself, it makes it easier for me to empathise with him.
existentialnihilist
of the North Gate

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Return to The Den