Karma Mod!

Re: Karma Mod!

Postby Annie » April 14th, 2011, 2:03 pm

Oh! How interesting :D I'd forgotten I'd suggested that. I got an email saying I'd received a Pride Point and I was like "Ohh, what is this?" Haha! Silly forgetful Annit XD
R.I.P Annie, Holly, Spike, Louie, Mel, Robbie, Mr.H, Molly, Archie, Blobby and Dancer <3
Annie
Hyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Rawr

Pride Points: 29

Postby KiarasMate » April 15th, 2011, 9:06 pm

Honestly, I don't think there should be an option to lower a member's Pride Points. Based off my own personal experience from this feature being implemented on the forum, it's only been used to spite individuals to whom a member has a personal vendetta against for whatever reason, and in the few cases when a Pride Point was taken away for a fair reason, members took it as a personal attack rather than constructive criticism to better their behavior, which was the reason why most people argued to keep the ability to give negative feedback for if I'm not mistaken.

I won't name names, but several members found the need to lower my Pride Points without even giving a logical reason in the reason field form when this feature was first introduced, despite the fact that I hadn't even been active on the forum for well over a half a year. I had no problems with disabling the Pride Points feature just to avoid future issues like this, but I really don't think it's fair that a member should have to opt themselves out of a new addition to the forum, just because they are being harassed by people who don't like them, not because their forum behavior is out of line, but just based upon the soul reason that that member holds a grudge against the other member in question.

Again, this is just based upon my own experiences and it's just my opinion about the subject. I think if it's a positive and welcoming atmosphere that is trying to be achieved on this forum, there is no reason why anyone should even have to give or recieve negative feedback. Also, if it's equality that is trying to be conveyed throughout the forum, then the whole system of Pride Points isn't very beneficial either. It all just boils down to a popularity contest in the end, where friends of friends just keep increasing each other's Pride Points just for the hell of it, not for any particular or valid reason. I'm guilty of doing this too, but there again, I also gave a few based on some positive actions or circumstances that reflected the member's attitudes. There's been a whole lot of talk about post counts and how they don't really matter from what I've seen, so why add just another thing to set members apart from each other?
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KM

Postby KopsTheTerminator » April 15th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Removing negative karma makes karma lose its purpose. Maybe a karma report button will do?
KopsTheTerminator

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby KiarasMate » April 15th, 2011, 9:19 pm

But if the main purprose of decreasing a member's Pride Points isn't being used as it was originally intended for, then there is no need to keep it around, is there?
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Postby FlipMode » April 15th, 2011, 9:28 pm

[quote="KiarasMate"]
I won't name names, but several members found the need to lower my Pride Points without even giving a logical reason in the reason field form when this feature was first introduced, despite the fact that I hadn't even been active on the forum for well over a half a year. I had no problems with disabling the Pride Points feature just to avoid future issues like this, but I really don't think it's fair that a member should have to opt themselves out of a new addition to the forum, just because they are being harassed by people who don't like them, not because their forum behavior is out of line, but just based upon the soul reason that that member holds a grudge against the other member in question.[/quote]

It is the internet. If you introduce a new thing like this, there would be people who will abuse it initially. If you think someone has negative Pride Pointed you for no reason, pfff take one of theirs in return haha. If however it is done disrespectfully, or in a way that common sense tells you is out of line, report it and it will be dealt with (goes for everyone). Yeah of course there is going to be people misusing it, but even the most active members make some questionable posts sometimes, so in that sense negative voting should stay but we have to try and encourage people to use it responsible (you know, as responsible as one can be on the net)

[quote="KiarasMate"]Again, this is just based upon my own experiences and it's just my opinion about the subject[/quote]
Thank god you said it was your opinion, I thought you were giving me someone else's...

[quote="KiarasMate"] I think if it's a positive and welcoming atmosphere that is trying to be achieved on this forum, there is no reason why anyone should even have to give or recieve negative feedback. Also, if it's equality that is trying to be conveyed throughout the forum, then the whole system of Pride Points isn't very beneficial either. It all just boils down to a popularity contest in the end, where friends of friends just keep increasing each other's Pride Points just for the hell of it, not for any particular or valid reason. I'm guilty of doing this too, but there again, I also gave a few based on some positive actions or circumstances that reflected the member's attitudes. There's been a whole lot of talk about post counts and how they don't really matter from what I've seen, so why add just another thing to set members apart from each other?[/quote]

I would personally like to think my pride points are there for genuine reasons, I know some are not though haha but well what can one do?
As for the negative voting, well yeah I can totally see where you are coming from, I received one or two myself. But it could also help one to avoid making mistakes in the future:
Like I like to joke around a bit, but if I say something the accidentally insults someone, they can give me a negative karma vote, then if I want to I can apologize and know to watch myself next time. So in that sense, negative voting should be an option I think.
But hey, thanks for the feedback.
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Postby KiarasMate » April 15th, 2011, 9:43 pm

I wouldn't condone lowering a member's Pride Points just because they did the same to you, even though that is probably the first thing someone would think of doing at the given moment, but that just drags you down to their level. I agree, if the system was being used as it was initially intended for, then it should be kept as is, but again, that's not the case from what I've seen. It's a hopeful thought that all members could be as mature as yourself Flip, when it comes to having their Pride Points being lowered, but I really don't see that happening anytime soon. I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond to my input though.
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Postby FlipMode » April 15th, 2011, 10:03 pm

[quote="KiarasMate"]I wouldn't condone lowering a member's Pride Points just because they did the same to you, even though that is probably the first thing someone would think of doing at the given moment, but that just drags you down to their level. [/quote]

Haha I was kind of joking about with that bit, I mean I would do it but just ya know, not in a serious tone (I do not think I have even de/increased any points in a serious tone as of yet, in fact.)

[quote="KiarasMate"]
I agree, if the system was being used as it was initially intended for, then it should be kept as is, but again, that's not the case from what I've seen. It's a hopeful thought that all members could be as mature as yourself Flip, when it comes to having their Pride Points being lowered, but I really don't see that happening anytime soon.
[/quote]
I would not really say I was being mature about it, it is more just... Well basic sense really, I guess. Someone gives me a negative point for no reason, or just puts a random smiley as the reason, that happened to me a while ago but well... It did not effect my life in any way so I do not really see the problem with it.

Not just that KM, but also the comments being made are public to anyone to view, so if someone is misusing it then they are giving themselves a bad reputation... But hey whatever floats one's boat.
FlipMode

Postby Panda-chan » April 15th, 2011, 11:07 pm

Seriously, if you can't handle the fact that a few people don't like you, live with it, or consider changing yourself. Or if it's such a big deal disable karma altogether and at least let the people that like and benefit from it enjoy it. If you suspect you're being trolled, get that person reported. It's not so hard to do.
D̵̢̨̧̛͔̖͍̝̤̫̼̝̬̤̪̟͇͙̊̏̎͛̇̏͊͌̃̂̈́͂̒̄̅̚̚͘͝R̸̥̙͂̀̾̑̊̀̉́̀́̐̄̊̿̈́̄͑̐̕͝I̴̗̯̼̳͉͕̺̤̖̝̪̫̊͛͝͠Ǹ̵̨̧͈̮̦̖̝͈̥̗͕̭͉̺̲͕̥͔͎̹͖͙͇̲̘̩̞͓̦̦̯̮̙̜̼̝͈̣̺̰̺̟̙̫̫ͅK̶̢̢̡̧̢̛̻͎̘͉̦͚̳̗̱̗̮̫̲͎̟͚͖̠̣̺͎̠̤͈̩̞͈͚̣̳̟̣̓͊͊̍̀̇͆́͐̔̔̅̿̅̋̈̈́̔̈̒̌̆̃̇͗̂̐̽́͊̋͗̚̕͘͜͜͠͝͝ ̴̧̧̢̧̧̢̛̦̗̦̭͔̝͎̘͍͚͈̰̦̲͍̥͚̱͓̦̙̞̱̜̹̍̉́̿̃͆̆̾̀̍̊͛̈́̽̈́̀̋̒̾͗͗͂̾̊̇̃̈́̋́̓̄̂̐͊͂̏̿̅͂̚͘̚͜͠͝͠ͅͅͅͅW̵̢̧̨̥͇̳̩͍̪̓̉͊̓̏͜͠Ã̵̧̨͍͚̭̱̦̯̣͓̱̫͑͋̋̾̎͑̽̔̒͆̉͒͑͆̎͑̑̒͋̑̀̒̿͑̄͋̒͆̑͆̔̈̈́͂͆̾̾̌̃̏̊̓͘͜͝͠͠T̸̨̧̛̮̙̰͇̹̭̥̙̝̱̼̥͖̟̃̔̑̒̓̈́͂̈́̂̓̂̎̋͊̌͋̂͂̃̂͝͠͠͝ͅĘ̴̧̡̢̧̡̠͉͉͕̤̳̘̖̙̭͙͕̻͍̖̗͙̯͈͔͋̄̾̄͛͌͌͒͛̇̎͋̉̈́̆̈́̍̎̆̒͑̒̅̋̊̄̈̿͒̈̋̾̊́̔̚͝͠͝͠ͅŖ̸̠̫͓̞͈̫̉̂
Panda-chan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

STAY HYDRATED, FOLKS

Nickname(s): Weeb trash
Telegram: 6834232905344686445634231897968563522324236894284563523722616678
Pride Points: 108

Postby RayCat » April 15th, 2011, 11:08 pm

[quote="Amanda"]Image

Seriously, if you can't handle the fact that a few people don't like you, live with it, or consider changing yourself. Or if it's such a big deal disable karma altogether and at least let the people that like and benefit from it enjoy it. If you suspect you're being trolled, get that person reported. It's not so hard to do.[/quote]
^this, and lmao @ pic XD
My graphics thread
And where the journey may lead you
Let this prayer be your guide
Though it may take you so far away
Always remember your pride
RayCat

The lion sleeps no more

Pride Points: 55

Postby FlipMode » April 15th, 2011, 11:19 pm

[quote="Amanda"]

Seriously, if you can't handle the fact that a few people don't like you, live with it, or consider changing yourself. Or if it's such a big deal disable karma altogether and at least let the people that like and benefit from it enjoy it. If you suspect you're being trolled, get that person reported. It's not so hard to do.[/quote]

That being said, and by that same logic, there is really no reason to make a fuss about not liking someone, either. So I can kind of see where he would be coming from. Also the karma thing, whilst people are entitled to use it how they want, should not in my opinion be based simply on liking / disliking that person.
If someone is going to karma+ me for liking me: I would rather they just did not to be honest. If it is for a reason though, that is different.

I say again, and I will try not to repeat myself but: all we can hope is that people will use it responsibly. Does not need changing as it is though, I do not think so anyway...
FlipMode

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements