The Last Lions

The Last Lions

Postby Moka » March 15th, 2011, 11:26 pm

[quote]Fifty years ago there were close to half-a-million lions in Africa. Today there are around 20,000. To make matters worse, lions, unlike elephants, which are far more numerous, have virtually no protection under government mandate or through international accords. This is the jumping-off point for a disturbing, well-researched and beautifully made cri de coeur from husband and wife team Dereck and Beverly Joubert, award-winning filmmakers from Botswana who have been Explorers-in-Residence at National Geographic for more than four years. Pointing to poaching as a primary threat while noting the lion's pride of place on the list for eco-tourists-an industry that brings in 200 billion dollars per year worldwide-the Jouberts build a solid case for both the moral duty we have to protect lions (as well as other threatened "big cats," tigers among them) and the economic sense such protection would make... Written by Palm Springs Internation Film Festival [/quote]

Anyone going to see this movie? Unfortunately when it's playing at my city, I'll be in a completely different city >.<

Maybe I'll catch it on DVD or something :?

Jeremy Irons is narrating it :3 I've seen quite a few people from the production of The Lion King take jobs narrating African wildlife films. It's great to see how all those people are still inspired by it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7SvK7w1xA - Trailer
http://movies.nationalgeographic.com/movies/last-lions/ - Main Website
http://movies.nationalgeographic.com/mo ... -listings/ - Theater listings
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1692928/ - IMDB

Show your support by watching the trailer and going to see the movie!
Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 138

Re: The Last Lions

Postby Eli_Ayase » March 15th, 2011, 11:28 pm

I've read about it. It's awesome in the description.
Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition’s blurred. If I am to choose between one evil and another, I rather not choose at all. – Geralt of Rivia
[Facebook] | [DeviantART] | [FictionPress.com] | [FanFiction.net] | [My Tumblr.]
I come and go, don't question me.
Also I'm an weeaboo/otaku, fite me m8 1v1 irl.

If you find anything offensive of what I say. Then it's not my fault that you took it serious.
Eli_Ayase
Gwynbleidd

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Geralt of Rivia

Location: Iorveth's Forest (United Kingdom, Cambridgeshire area)
Nickname(s): Eli, Ann, Nat, Elichika, Eri, Ayase, Elise

Postby TheGunner18 » March 15th, 2011, 11:33 pm

Just watched the trailer and I have to say that it looks incredible! Why are the cubs always so cute? Also, I noticed quite a few similarities to TLK in the trailer :) the fire that you see in the background for a second or two is one of them :D I really want to see this film.
All credit goes to SimbaObsesser for the awesome signature!
TheGunner18
Over thinking, over analysing

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Separates the body from the mind...

Nickname(s): Gunner, gun, I don't care what you call me.
Pride Points: 17

Postby Moka » March 15th, 2011, 11:34 pm

This movie totally ripped off one of my fan fictions!
Moka

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby TheGunner18 » March 15th, 2011, 11:35 pm

Feel proud then! Or angry that it didn't mention your Fanfic ;)
All credit goes to SimbaObsesser for the awesome signature!
TheGunner18
Over thinking, over analysing

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Separates the body from the mind...

Nickname(s): Gunner, gun, I don't care what you call me.
Pride Points: 17

Postby Eli_Ayase » March 15th, 2011, 11:36 pm

Lol. I would love to see it. Sounds awesome.
Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition’s blurred. If I am to choose between one evil and another, I rather not choose at all. – Geralt of Rivia
[Facebook] | [DeviantART] | [FictionPress.com] | [FanFiction.net] | [My Tumblr.]

If you find anything offensive of what I say. Then it's not my fault that you took it serious.
Eli_Ayase
Gwynbleidd

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Geralt of Rivia

Postby PridelandsPhantom » March 15th, 2011, 11:38 pm

I doubt it will come to my town, but I'd love to rent it from Netflix or see it on DVD. I wish Barbary lions still existed.
Dog Mom to Misty, Sango, Tami, Abby, and Kawaii. :)
Three Angel Babies at the Rainbow Bridge: Mija, London, and Olga :cry:
PridelandsPhantom
Kion is My Waifu!

Disney Fan and Lioness at Heart

Nickname(s): Mako, Dog Mom, Alex, Jessi
Pride Points: 12

Postby Eli_Ayase » March 15th, 2011, 11:40 pm

I have my nearest rental place. They always warn about new movies

Eli_Ayase
Gwynbleidd

Geralt of Rivia

Postby Zeke » March 15th, 2011, 11:47 pm

[quote="Moka"]This movie totally ripped off one of my fan fictions![/quote]
Poor moka XD you should sue the lions for taking your idea. This looks so sick but it seems kinda hard to catch a showing. I think I'll have to settle for the DVD too. It seems like big cats are whats caught the interest of a lot of people now :P Disney is coming out with their movie African Cats soon too
"When the power of love overcomes the love of
power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix
Zeke
Deeq

Pride Points: 18

Postby Moka » March 15th, 2011, 11:50 pm

Hopefully with the sparked interest people will realize that the big cats need some help. I'm not sure we should be focusing on lions....there are plenty of them around :P But there are less than 500 tigers in the wild and less than 40 Amur Leopards. And the part of Russia that they live (the only place in the world) is being logged for wood!
Moka

Next

Return to News & Announcements