The Member Dens

Re: The Member Dens

Postby Moka » July 21st, 2011, 9:56 am

This is one step in a little bit of revamping that we're doing. We actually will be having forums for more specific discussions and splitting up the den a little bit, but it will be better and more concise than how it was in 2009. And, obviously, it will be better than it is now.

We'll probably do something like this:
- The Den
--- The Extraordinary Events
--- The Arcade
- Personal (Ask me topics and everything personal/RL stuff goes in here)
--- Member Birthdays
- Entertainment (Games, sports, movies, TV, music, books, etc)
- World Issues
- Graphics Forum
- Off-Topic Links

Anything think of more forums?

The member dens aren't really a cause of spam in my opinion. But members should post because they want to post, not because they want to get a member den. Also, as the community gets bigger, it gets tougher and tougher for the mods to keep track of deserving members, and it becomes a guessing game when it's time to choose the next member to receive a den.

Guise relax, it's an internet forum. We got this.

If the website explodes you can blame me, it was my idea.
Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 138

Postby FlipMode » July 21st, 2011, 10:41 am

[quote="Moka"]This is one step in a little bit of revamping that we're doing. [/quote]

I know the old saying "A good worker creates work." but you do sometimes seem to try and fix things that were never broken in the first place.

[quote]
Anything think of more forums?[/quote]

Maybe politics / World Issues?

[quote] But members should post because they want to post, not because they want to get a member den. Also, as the community gets bigger, it gets tougher and tougher for the mods to keep track of deserving members, and it becomes a guessing game when it's time to choose the next member to receive a den.[/quote]
Do not misjudge me, when I post it is because I want to and like meeting new people, not because I wanted / want a member den or any other reason. If you notice, when someone is rewarded a member den, they usually remain quality contributors even after, now if those people were only doing so for a den then that would not have been the case.

And as for it being tougher to keep track of, speaking from past experience I can say it is not exactly the most taxing part of being a moderator. And to be honest, it seems like less work than revamping the entire scheme of things would be.

[quote]Guise relax, it's an internet forum. We got this.

If the website explodes you can blame me, it was my idea[/quote]

Yes it is an internet forum, but the people who use it are real people, and have feelings.
I would not blame you if the website exploded, I will however blame you for making me feel somewhat mistreated.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby KopsTheTerminator » July 21st, 2011, 12:15 pm

[quote="FlipMode"][quote="Moka"]Anything think of more forums?[/quote]

Maybe politics / World Issues?[/quote]

OMFG yes. I'd love a sub-board for that. You don't know how much I love debating when it doesn't get out of hand. XD
KopsTheTerminator

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby jelle » July 21st, 2011, 12:56 pm

man sorry i think you're a great mod Moka but this again also with the costum titles you guys are ruining the nostalig feeling here.
(thanks miharuka :3)

"it's not too late, it's never too late"
jelle
the unforgiven

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We cannot forgive what we cannot forget

Nickname(s): POOTISMAN
Pride Points: 20

Postby LilTiger » July 21st, 2011, 1:21 pm

What about the ones with locked dens?
ImageImageImage
Sig by Simbaholic, userbars by WildSimba and Simba.
LilTiger

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

~*~

Nickname(s): LT, Lil, Tiger, LilT, ZM, Zira, Bored

Postby KopsTheTerminator » July 21st, 2011, 1:36 pm

I would assume that their threads will sink to the bottom of The Den, as well. :P
KopsTheTerminator

Postby Azdgari » July 21st, 2011, 4:39 pm

Cool. We've needed den subdivisions for a while. That should go a long way towards getting some great discussions going. I agree with Fip, we should throw a world issues forum in the mix too.

As for the dens, two parts!

A) Moka's forum, he can do what he wants. =P

B) It's already been said but... not a huge deal. All dens have ever been is an 'ask me' thread and a 'chat/spam' thread. So we don't get those anymore (although who says we can't have a general chat thread somewhere?). Really it's just getting rid of 10 or 15 iterations of the exact same topic but in different dens. It was a cool reward I guess, but there were more people who deserved it than could get it, and if everyone who deserved dens got one they would lose their specialness. So, I'm fine with the decision to lose them. I agree it'll also probably diversify discussion since people aren't hanging in there. So the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion. ^^

ALSO: Just read the staff room bit, and c'mon, we all know that has nothing to do with anything. Every single board you've ever been on has a staff forum you can't see (unless of course you're staff!). That doesn't make the board unequal. =P
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Pride Points: 114

Postby FlipMode » July 21st, 2011, 5:03 pm

[quote="Azdgari"]Cool. We've needed den subdivisions for a while. That should go a long way towards getting some great discussions going. I agree with Fip, we should throw a world issues forum in the mix too.

As for the dens, two parts!

A) Moka's forum, he can do what he wants. =P

B) It's already been said but... not a huge deal. All dens have ever been is an 'ask me' thread and a 'chat/spam' thread. So we don't get those anymore (although who says we can't have a general chat thread somewhere?). Really it's just getting rid of 10 or 15 iterations of the exact same topic but in different dens. It was a cool reward I guess, but there were more people who deserved it than could get it, and if everyone who deserved dens got one they would lose their specialness. So, I'm fine with the decision to lose them. I agree it'll also probably diversify discussion since people aren't hanging in there. So the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion. ^^

ALSO: Just read the staff room bit, and c'mon, we all know that has nothing to do with anything. Every single board you've ever been on has a staff forum you can't see (unless of course you're staff!). That doesn't make the board unequal. =P[/quote]

His forum yeah, and I agree he can do what he wants, I never for a second suggested otherwise. I was giving reasons why I disagree with it though... Because I never got a say before the decision was made.

And as for "B" It is a matter of perspective, but to me it is a big deal. It is the principal of earning something and then having it taken away, with no say on the matter. Just because you do not consider it a big deal, does not make it so.

And yes the staff forum does make it unequal. If member dens do then so does that. It directly goes against "All members having the same amount of boards" which was a reason given for getting rid of member dens.... Read this quote, it is from the OP
[quote]we believe that all parts of the forum should belong to everyone equally[/quote]
So while sure, it does not have anything to do with the member dens, it does go against a reason given for removing them.
FlipMode

Postby AdAstrα » July 21st, 2011, 5:18 pm

*agrees with Az*
I really do not see what this staff forum has to do with anything, I assume it's only for discussing important things regarding the forum? How is that unfair? =/ The staff have a job to do, you know. A very important one as well.
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby FlipMode » July 21st, 2011, 5:31 pm

[quote="AdAstra"]*agrees with Az*
I really do not see what this staff forum has to do with anything, I assume it's only for discussing important things regarding the forum? How is that unfair? =/ The staff have a job to do, you know. A very important one as well.[/quote]

Thanks for the valuable lesson in how the staff operate, I only just recently quit my position on the staff last week, what would I know?
FlipMode

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements