[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
View topic - The Member Dens — My Lion King Forum

The Member Dens

The Member Dens

Postby Moka » July 21st, 2011, 8:09 am

Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 138

Re: The Member Dens

Postby KopsTheTerminator » July 21st, 2011, 8:12 am

Just kidding, I agree with your reasoning. I barely know some members because they hang out in the member dens more.
KopsTheTerminator

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby WildSimba » July 21st, 2011, 8:17 am

I sorta figured this would of happened for a long time anyways. I knew member dens weren't that great of a thing in the first place. It was a nice little reward when there were 100 or 200 members, but now that we're almost to 2,000, it's just way to much of a bother to have to worry about the member dens, especially when us mods have other things to worry about, and have a hard time keeping up with posts in other more useful sections already.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Misiziri » July 21st, 2011, 8:23 am

No, dang it! I was looking forward to getting one. Oh well, I suppose it's only fair. Didn't see it coming though.
Misiziri

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): La'Vie
Pride Points: 168

Postby Simbaholikov » July 21st, 2011, 8:25 am

Wow, didn't see this coming..
I am not amused.
Simbaholikov

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Daenerys » July 21st, 2011, 8:37 am

Aw, I was looking forward to getting one too. Oh well, it will be more fair for everybody else anyway :3
Daenerys
♛ queen ♛

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

nightmare dressed like a daydream

Nickname(s): rena/dashie/whatever
Pride Points: 175

Postby KiarasMate » July 21st, 2011, 8:39 am

Seeing as this has already been decided upon, it would seem pointless to even voice ones thoughts about the decision, but I'm going to anyways.

I don't really think this is a justified move, and in a way, it seems like it almost sullies the history of MLK in a way. Member Dens have been around forever, and in my view, they have been an intricate part of MLK. So to just up and remove them, and toss every single thread of that entire area into an already overly cluttered section of the forum, just seems disrespectful in a way to the owners of the dens. I'm not just saying that because I had a den at one point, but I would think this is how some of the other den owners might feel too, but it could very well just be me alone who feels this way.

I don't see how getting rid of the dens will improve activity in the other parts of the forum, especially when all the threads will just be shoved into the den area. I also don't see how the dens caused this supposed rift amongst the forum suddenly not being everyones. Sure, the den owners had their names in a particular section of the forum, yet as far as I know, everyone was more than welcome to post in every den, as long as they felt comfortable doing so.

I understand that drama did arise in the past over the whole member dens, but it was really a very select few members who even became upset over the fact that they didn't have a den. It wasn't like this was a constant problem that was brought up on a daily basis. Besides, just from the fact alone from how passionate members seem about these dens, shouldn't that be a sign that they are something special? Something to strive for? A reason to be an active, contributing, and friendly member on MLK?

I don't know, I think unity is a great thing, and something this forum has needed, but with ranks gone, member dens now being a thing of the past, there's not a whole lot that sets apart those long standing members from anyone else. I know, that's not really important, since at the end of the day, it's all about being a community and it's all about togetherness, but I really don't see how the member dens were a probelm is all.

Again, since this has already been decided upon, I guess I'm just ranting here, even though I'm not meaning to. It's just, you change a forum too much, and what used to make it special for some members, just suddenly doesn't feel the same anymore. Sorry, but that's just my view of things. I hope this change works out for the best though. :)

[quote="WildSimba"]It was a nice little reward when there were 100 or 200 members, but now that we're almost to 2,000, it's just way to much of a bother to have to worry about the member dens, especially when us mods have other things to worry about, and have a hard time keeping up with posts in other more useful sections already.[/quote]

How many of those almost 2000 members are active? And also, the mods will still have to monitor these threads, since they are not being deleted, just moved, so no work is being taken off the mods shoulders.
Last edited by KiarasMate on July 21st, 2011, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Nickname(s): KM

Postby Moka » July 21st, 2011, 8:42 am

As WS mentioned, it was a cute thing to do when we were a small community. Now that we have so many members and so many that definitely deserve dens, it's just a hassle to keep up with. I've been thinking of doing this for a while, which is one of the reasons there haven't been new dens in a while. Sorry to everyone who didn't get the chance to have one. :c It's just more fair this way.

@KM: What made the forum special for more senior members was all the cool stuff we could do as a small community. Keeping parts of a small community in a now large community can be hurtful. We held onto the dens as long as we could. It's time to move on. I'd also like to emphasise that the actual dens were just categories... the topics are where the history is. And we're keeping that history because it is important.
Moka
:D

Pride Points: 138

Postby FlipMode » July 21st, 2011, 8:47 am

[quote="Simbaholikov"]Wow, didn't see this coming..
I am not amused.[/quote]

I usually do not do this but well... This ^
That is exactly how I feel too, "Here have a reward for being a contributive member." and now you are just going to remove them because a few people cried about not having one.

[quote]As for why we are doing this, we believe that all parts of the forum should belong to everyone equally instead of just a certain group of members [/quote]
I suppose by that logic everyone should have access to the staff forum, then?

[quote] It would also help to increase activity in other parts of the forum that need it more, [/quote]
But you are moving the threads into The Den right? Pretty sure that is only going to apply to the den, and I would hardly say that was an area which could do with more activity.
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Postby Misiziri » July 21st, 2011, 8:49 am

I usually concur with Moka, but I'm definitely siding with Flip and Kiarasmate. I was a little afraid to voice my opinion, but I think they're exactly right :B Is there any possible way of reversing this?
Misiziri

Nickname(s): La'Vie
Pride Points: 168

Next

Return to News & Announcements