Rulechanges MoTM

Re: Rulechanges MoTM

Postby OuRaion » February 6th, 2013, 7:47 am

Ah, but that happened after the nominations were over.
So you can't count my interest in your thing as a reason.
OuRaion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 60

Postby DGFone » February 6th, 2013, 7:50 am

I don't fully remember what made me want to nominate you, but I did. What I can tell for certain is that it wasn't because you sent me a bunch of Linux help PMs (also after the nominations). Might have been the fact that you're active in the writing contest. If you had to make a bet about why I nominated you, go with that.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby OuRaion » February 6th, 2013, 7:54 am

Well thanks for clearing that up for me.

And, you know the part where you said something about being nominated for being active in the TLK sections? You do realise that people wanting to win and them seeing this will make the TLk part more active then the lounge. But then again, that may be a good thing.
OuRaion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 60

Postby Azdgari » February 6th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Why is someone posting in TLK forums more important than being helpful or kind?
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby DGFone » February 6th, 2013, 5:39 pm

That's because as far as I can tell, everyone are helpful and kind, but in the end, MotM keeps going to the same gang of people. MLK is a great place, and if being helpful and kind lets you win MotM, I simply can't see a logical reason how some people can get more than one award while others never get it at all.

So in order to make it more fair when I nominate, I look at other factors as well.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby TheBlackCatCrossing » February 6th, 2013, 7:10 pm

[quote="Azdgari"]Why is someone posting in TLK forums more important than being helpful or kind?[/quote]

Because EVERYONE thinks that their friends or little social club is helpful and kind. Do you think it is fair that someone joins a forum dedicated to a certain topic meets someone else and they get chummy on the forum and Outside of it while hardly ever adding to the discussions gets nominated? Think about it. I joined this forum to talk about TLK. If I get close with someone on the forum and out of it when our convos are about ourselves than LK do you think that person should merit a Member of the Month nomination? I hope no one thinks that we should dedicate our lives to TLK 24/7. Hardly. Some of us have two jobs. LOL. To me, it just reeks of insecurity when you vote for your friends and the same people but never about what brought you here the first place much less the people that make the forum engaging.
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.

Leo Buscaglia
TheBlackCatCrossing
Damnatio ad bestias

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nothing really matters-Madonna

Nickname(s): Harley Quinn
Pride Points: 27

Postby Azdgari » February 6th, 2013, 8:24 pm

Whatevs floats your boat I guess.
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby TheBlackCatCrossing » February 6th, 2013, 8:55 pm

It's called the Circle of Life, not the Circlejerk of Life. :lol
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.

Leo Buscaglia
TheBlackCatCrossing
Damnatio ad bestias

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nothing really matters-Madonna

Nickname(s): Harley Quinn
Pride Points: 27

Postby FlipMode » February 7th, 2013, 9:55 am

It's insecure to vote for your friends? Gee and here I was thinking I was voting for them because I happen to, y'know, like them... It doesn't matter if someone "contributes" I'm still not nominating them unless I know them at least a bit, everyone voted for Noah without knowing him and he turned out to be a butt.

Ideally someone would be a good mix of both contributive and friendly with other members.
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Postby Si-Amber » February 7th, 2013, 5:52 pm

[quote="FlipMode"]
Ideally someone would be a good mix of both contributive and friendly with other members.[/quote]

^ This.

It's a fact of life that in any kind of public vote - from TV talent shows to President of the USA - personality plays a good part. You could be the most insightful and knowledgeable TLK fan ever, but if you don't interact with other members or let them see your great personality, people won't think to vote for you.

You don't have to be part of an "Inner Circle" to get nominated for MoTM. I got nominated and I'm the 31 year old guy who I think people were very cautious of when I first joined. I've never Skyped with anyone. Apart from Shadowfax/Lightning (who is my IRL bestie), the most personal interaction I've had with anyone on here is a couple of short PM's. I'm a lot older than the other regular members, so I wouldn't expect to be in the popular crowd. I guess I got nominated because I'm nice and compassionate, I like to cheer people up and be positive. Those are things that anyone can do. It creates a happy environment.

Also I'm the first to admit I'd never get nominated for my contribution to the TLK fandom. TLK is one of my fave movies, but I haven't that much to say about it. I'm not a fan of the sequels. I can't draw and not in to fanfic writing. I joined because Shadowfax told me to, because it's a fun place to hang out online. The fact that we all love TLK is a bonus.
Si-Amber

Pride Points: 74

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements