Permission Change

Re: Permission Change

Postby Moka » August 10th, 2009, 5:00 pm

[quote="PrincessKiara091"]We can still edit them though, right?
:?[/quote]

Yes, you may still edit all of your posts :)
Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 138

Postby Noah » January 10th, 2012, 4:15 am

I know this is a two and a half year old topic, but does anyone else think this should be undone? I've noticed recently that a lot of members seem to post in the wrong forum or accidentally double post and nothing is done about it. They don't want to take the time to contact a moderator or Moka, and frankly I don't blame them. The staff have more important things to do than worry about a simple posting mistake. I don't see why something as trivial of changing forums is restricted to Staff members. Then again, I'm not part of the staff so I don't have the info, but if the member can choose in the first place where to post a topic, why couldn't that member move it? As for deleting, that's a little bit different, but since this policy is so old, maybe this debate could be resurrected? I apologize if I'm over my head here.
Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby DGFone » January 10th, 2012, 4:21 am

I think that the possibility of abuse from members being allowed to delete their posts is greater than the convenience of being able to fix the occasional double-post or miss-post. There is a reason why regular members lost the ability to delete their posts, and I think that it's because they abused this more than they used it to fix things.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG

Postby Noah » January 10th, 2012, 4:23 am

[quote="DGFone"]I think that the possibility of abuse from members being allowed to delete their posts is greater than the convenience of being able to fix the occasional double-post or miss-post. There is a reason why regular members lost the ability to delete their posts, and I think that it's because they abused this more than they used it to fix things.[/quote]
I kinda figured that. What are the ability to move topics to other forums? Would that still be potentially abusive? (that's actually not sarcasm, that's a serious question)
Siggy by Me

Noah

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Only the lonely can play

Postby DGFone » January 10th, 2012, 4:27 am

If you really want to have a topic moved, or a post deleted, talk to a mod. This really eliminates any potential for abuse... and doesn't really change the rules either.
So at the end of the day, the current system is best.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Postby SnowyCheetah » January 10th, 2012, 9:55 am

Being a former moderator on this forum, other forums and an experienced admin of phpBB on my own hosting, I can tell you that while it is possible to give members the ability to delete their own threads, the board does not have a function for users to move their own threads. If they are enabled to move their own, they are enabled to move all of them. This is not to say that a phpBB MOD couldn't provide that function.

That 2in diameter fart can probably adds at least 50bhp.
SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

is mayonnaise a gender

Nickname(s): Snowy, Snow, Sno, SC, SS, Snowball, Stormy
Pride Points: 23

Postby WildSimba » January 10th, 2012, 7:00 pm

[quote="Noahcs"]I know this is a two and a half year old topic, but does anyone else think this should be undone? I've noticed recently that a lot of members seem to post in the wrong forum or accidentally double post and nothing is done about it. They don't want to take the time to contact a moderator or Moka, and frankly I don't blame them. The staff have more important things to do than worry about a simple posting mistake. I don't see why something as trivial of changing forums is restricted to Staff members. Then again, I'm not part of the staff so I don't have the info, but if the member can choose in the first place where to post a topic, why couldn't that member move it? As for deleting, that's a little bit different, but since this policy is so old, maybe this debate could be resurrected? I apologize if I'm over my head here.[/quote]

I see people report these posts all the time. Even if the member themselves don't do it, someone else will. Just keep in mind, it is our job to do this. Don't think we're to busy to do what we're supposed to be doing.

Also, just like DGFone said, it can cause way to much harm for it to really be beneficial. Saw it quite often back then when some troll would create a topic, and someone would post in it, and then they'd delete their posts, and all of a sudden the person who replied looks like they're the culprit.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Noah » January 10th, 2012, 8:14 pm

[quote="WildSimba"]I see people report these posts all the time. Even if the member themselves don't do it, someone else will. Just keep in mind, it is our job to do this. Don't think we're to busy to do what we're supposed to be doing.

Also, just like DGFone said, it can cause way to much harm for it to really be beneficial. Saw it quite often back then when some troll would create a topic, and someone would post in it, and then they'd delete their posts, and all of a sudden the person who replied looks like they're the culprit.[/quote]
I guess I was over my head with this one. I honestly wasn't sure. I apologize.
Siggy by Me

Noah

Only the lonely can play

Postby Regulus » January 10th, 2012, 10:50 pm

But what if posts can be deleted if and only if nobody has replied yet? That eliminates both issues.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby DGFone » January 10th, 2012, 10:55 pm

Just leave it for the admins, guys. If you give people permission to delete their posts, you get trouble.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements