Attention please - Skype troll

Re: Attention please - Skype troll

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » September 8th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Its not ok for it to happen to anyone tbh, no matter what age they are. Scary stuff. Hope you both are alright about it tho, as long as you've got him blocked ^^;
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby Regulus » September 8th, 2013, 7:17 pm

Receiving messages like that doesn't necessarily mean an account was hacked. It could be totally random.

Unless a random person says something that suggests he knows who you actually are (such as name, age, location, hobbies and/or interests, if it isn't on your profile) there's no reason to jump to such conclusions just yet.

Now that that's out of the way, was it the same person who contacted both of you? If so, that would suggest something fishy. If not, then we really can't be certain. I would consider it nothing more than spam.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby FlipMode » September 8th, 2013, 7:33 pm

There's more evidence to suggest that it is someone from MLK, possibly even someone who signed up just for that specific purpose.
I mean, it's not like stuff like this hasn't happened on here in the past.
And I don't think it even really matters, if it was someone from here then they would be smart not to admit to it and if it wasn't anyone from here then it still stands as a reminder that while we do hide personal information from guests, there is nothing stopping anyone with five minutes to spare from creating an account and being able to access it all.

That's just my opinion on the matter :)
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby SlayerOfLight » September 9th, 2013, 12:25 am

Maybe the ''Dark Lord'' of MLK might be behind this. If some of you at least know who I'm talking about... If not, here's a hint: He was on MLK for such a short time, yet was promoted to moderator not long after he signed up. Then he did some bad stuff and got banned, and rumors say he still continued to haunt MLK from time to time.

I'm too scared to mention his dreadfull name :(
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby Moka » September 9th, 2013, 12:27 am

[quote="Nicholas"]''Dark Lord'' of MLK[/quote]

Probably not a title he puts on his résumé.
Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 138

Postby SlayerOfLight » September 9th, 2013, 12:30 am

[quote="Moka"][quote="Nicholas"]''Dark Lord'' of MLK[/quote]

Probably not a title he puts on his résumé.[/quote]

Yea but that's what ''Dark Lords'' are known for though. Disguises and manipulating people.
SlayerOfLight

Postby SophieCub » September 9th, 2013, 12:31 am

[quote="Nicholas"]Maybe the ''Dark Lord'' of MLK might be behind this. If some of you at least know who I'm talking about... If not, here's a hint: He was on MLK for such a short time, yet was promoted to moderator not long after he signed up. Then he did some bad stuff and got banned, and rumors say he still continued to haunt MLK from time to time.

I'm too scared to mention his dreadfull name :([/quote]

Yeah, I thought it might have been him too. I guess we will never know haha.
SophieCub
Childhood Spirit

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): SC, Sofaloaf, Soph
Pride Points: 139

Postby FlipMode » September 9th, 2013, 12:44 am

Who really even cares who it was? If it was him then obviously he's made a new account and if it was anyone else then they can do the same thing if we ban them for it so MYAH. Instead of wasting time figuring out who it may or may not have been, the better option is to prevent it happening to other people by making Member HQ more secure, or by making sure people are aware that it is made public and that they shouldn't accept requests from anyone they don't recognize (which with all due respect, is basic common sense anyway...)

Also, I didn't get an invite ;A; gawddammit even 25-30 year old perverts aren't interested in talking to me on Skype lol
FlipMode

Postby SlayerOfLight » September 9th, 2013, 12:51 am

Well what solution could there possibly be? Unless MLK follows the footsteps of the NSA, but I don't think that's a great idea to be honest. If we at least knew who we were dealing with, it might be easier to deal with the situation.
SlayerOfLight

Postby FlipMode » September 9th, 2013, 12:57 am

[quote="Nicholas"]Well what solution could there possibly be? Unless MLK follows the footsteps of the NSA, but I don't think that's a great idea to be honest. If we at least knew who we were dealing with, it might be easier to deal with the situation.[/quote]

I'm not saying there is one, I'm just saying a bit of common sense and judgement can help people to avoid this type of thing by not accepting requests from people they don't recognize.
And no, I don't think finding out who it is will help the matter. Considering that 1) It already happened and 2) if it was a member who was previously banned then they are still going to be banned anyway so... What? you can't ban the same account twice yo.
FlipMode

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements