Blender Nala project - Development

Re: Blender Nala project - Development

Postby DGFone » May 23rd, 2011, 9:03 am

This week, because of Finals studying, I was only able to get an hour of work in. But now, I can graduate to another reference picture! The head and neck are complete to my liking, now onto the body and limbs! I have also edited my first post to say which program I am using.
(Yeah, couldn't find any with Nala being more than a head and neck).
Although, speaking of :asleep:, I would mind getting some :asleep2: at this moment as well.

Anyways, the pictures:
Attachments
Screenshot-6.png
Head and neck complete. Now it's onto the body!
Screenshot-7.png
Nala got bored with this pose, so she asked me if I can use another pose instead. I had to agree for the request or face the... consequences.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Daenerys » May 26th, 2011, 2:10 am

Cool DGFone! Can't wait to see the rest :)
Daenerys
♛ queen ♛

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

nightmare dressed like a daydream

Nickname(s): rena/dashie/whatever
Pride Points: 175

Postby LeaHalalela » June 8th, 2011, 8:51 am

Cool! I have Mudbox but i'm not very good at it. Looks awesome so far!
LeaHalalela

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Lea, Lela
Pride Points: 1

Postby DGFone » June 8th, 2011, 9:42 am

^Thanks everyone! :)

I am working slightly slower right now because I am working on the principle of "does it look right", which is, while it works for me, not the best approach.

Never the less, I managed to get a good lead on the main body. As of this moment, it looks correct, it might need adjusting once I start adding the limbs in. Yes. Nala does look weird right now. :P

Here is a screenshot:
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Without any guidelines, this is what I think the body looks like in 3D. I will most likely have to change it when I start adding limbs, but oh well. And yes, Nala does look like a worm now.
Does anyone even read these comments?
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby LeaHalalela » June 8th, 2011, 9:57 am

^Awesome! I couldn't do anything even close to anything like that!
LeaHalalela

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby DGFone » June 17th, 2011, 9:03 am

Nine days later, and all I got was... 2 legs. :(

The legs are killing me! It took me about 3 tries to get anywhere close, and I realized that the trick is to modify cylinders. So now I should be faster. But the hardest part has to be the fact that I only have a reference from 1 plane: I can use other pictures as "eyeballing" ques, but I can only use one picture to really align things around. This is why it took me 3 tries before that. But now: Coming closer to completion! 8-)
Attachments
Screenshot-1.png
Much to do left, and then I will have to attach everything so that it will look better - as one body versus several pieces.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby LeaHalalela » June 17th, 2011, 9:40 am

Cool 3D model! I can't do anything like that. Do you use a tablet? I used to use one but it somehow broke and I'm getting it fixed tomorrow.
LeaHalalela

Postby Thegeni99 » June 22nd, 2011, 8:18 pm

Well, he's using this program called a blender..whatever. And it seems he's just using some screenshots and clipart. But idk.
Thegeni99
T'cry'la

M.I.A. MLK User

Nickname(s): Gen, TG99, Aitama
Pride Points: 69

Postby DGFone » June 23rd, 2011, 9:19 am

Wooh! Really deep into the uncanny territory! Actually, that's not very good... here's what I'm talking about if you don't know already: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

Now I only have the paws left (which will be hard), and then lots of optimization and tweaking. Optimization isn't a big deal, as I tend to optimize as I go, but I will have to do a lot to get it to look natural and as one body, and not many body parts. Just look at where the neck and body join. I will also need to twist the tail to make it more like a... tail. Not a bent piece of steel.

Then comes texturing... Should be easier, though. Only a handful of base colors, and a few unique shapes. Other than that, it's free sailing from here! And I want to finish by Friday, because I will be forced away from my computer for a week afterwards... Me no want that, but I can't stop it. :(

And Thegani99, you effectively guessed correctly: I use clip-art and screen-shots as base references on how the figure should look like. But it really comes down to my imagination and "what looks and feels right". And the program is simply called Blender.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Only paws and tweaking left. Then it's texturing, and done! Drawing 2D images is much easier, but I'm not that good at those... But now I have a deadline which I plan to meet! Friday, here I come! (And please don't troll about the Friday song)
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby Thegeni99 » June 23rd, 2011, 4:16 pm

Awesome progress! Now you only need the paws. /challenge accepted. Lol I can only imagine the finished....3d Nala? xD

Oh, that's nice to know. K. :P
Thegeni99
T'cry'la

M.I.A. MLK User

Nickname(s): Gen, TG99, Aitama
Pride Points: 69

PreviousNext

Return to Other Fan-Created Media