T&P vs. the hyena trio

which do u like better?

T&P
5
22%
Hyena Trio
18
78%
 
Total votes : 23

Re: T&P vs. the hyena trio

Postby BrianGriffinFan » December 15th, 2015, 7:56 am

PrincessKiara wrote:I`m a bigger fan of the hyenas than of Timon and Pumbaa, both as characters as well as comic relief.
As for Timon and Pumbaa being more marketable, I think the answer is yes. They`re a funny duo and they`re cute, whereas the hyenas, while certainly funny, are not only.. well, kinda ugly, but they also work for the villain in the film.



Cute? Timon and Pumbaa? :

Also, Banzai is probably the only hyenas who really qualifies as ugly.
BrianGriffinFan
User avatar

Years of membershipYears of membership

Posts: 126
Joined: December 8th, 2015, 9:10 am
Pride Points: -1

Re: T&P vs. the hyena trio

Postby Squeely » December 16th, 2015, 10:39 am

Gotta go with hyena trio. I like T&P, but I find I enjoy the hyena trio more. Heck, I tend to like scenes that include the trio best in TLK 1 1/2, and that's T&P's movie! And as for the reason why the hyenas are preferred over T&P so much in the fandom, the marketing probably has a lot to do with it. Between their own show and film, Timon and Pumbaa just feel overused, whereas the hyenas always get these short-but-sweet appearances. Comic relief characters are usually better in small doses. When you make them the main stars, a lot of their funny can wear off, and it can begin to feel like they've overstayed their welcome.
Image
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Image
Squeely
User avatar

Years of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Posts: 2232
Joined: December 6th, 2015, 7:04 am
Location: Where my rump rests
Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Gender: Non-binary
Pride Points: 49

Re: T&P vs. the hyena trio

Postby BrianGriffinFan » December 17th, 2015, 12:33 am

Squeely wrote:Gotta go with hyena trio. I like T&P, but I find I enjoy the hyena trio more. Heck, I tend to like scenes that include the trio best in TLK 1 1/2, and that's T&P's movie! And as for the reason why the hyenas are preferred over T&P so much in the fandom, the marketing probably has a lot to do with it. Between their own show and film, Timon and Pumbaa just feel overused, whereas the hyenas always get these short-but-sweet appearances. Comic relief characters are usually better in small doses. When you make them the main stars, a lot of their funny can wear off, and it can begin to feel like they've overstayed their welcome.


My sentiments exactly. That and the fact that theyre not overly ugly and don't fart (god, what were the creators thinking?)
BrianGriffinFan
User avatar

Years of membershipYears of membership

Posts: 126
Joined: December 8th, 2015, 9:10 am
Pride Points: -1

Re: T&P vs. the hyena trio

Postby BrianGriffinFan » December 25th, 2015, 5:43 pm

PrincessKiara wrote:I`m a bigger fan of the hyenas than of Timon and Pumbaa, both as characters as well as comic relief.
As for Timon and Pumbaa being more marketable, I think the answer is yes. They`re a funny duo and they`re cute, whereas the hyenas, while certainly funny, are not only.. well, kinda ugly, but they also work for the villain in the film.


What do you mean? How are Timon and Pumbaa cute? And how are the three hyenas ugly?
BrianGriffinFan
User avatar

Years of membershipYears of membership

Posts: 126
Joined: December 8th, 2015, 9:10 am
Pride Points: -1

Re: T&P vs. the hyena trio

Postby Squeely » December 28th, 2015, 2:41 pm

To add to what PrincessKiara said, I think Timon and Pumbaa are kinda cute. They have some cute moments at the very least. I mean just look at Pumbaa's big ol' puppy dog eyes here:
Spoiler: show
Image


I wouldn't go so far as to say the hyenas are ugly, though the film doesn't exactly present them in a very appealing light, either. And I can't think of any moments they had that would be regarded as all that cute.

So from the standpoint of most parents, Timon and Pumbaa would be far more marketable. Parents would want their children to side with the good guys. I don't think the hyenas are evil, but I can see why parents may see them that way, or at least see them as undesirable. They sided with Scar, aided him in killing Mufasa and trying to kill Simba, and killed Scar in the end (it was justified but still). The only thing Timon and Pumbaa are guilty of is instilling a mindset in Simba that isn't always right (though the wisdom of not getting overly-stressed about problems isn't without merit), and Timon and Pumbaa didn't know it wasn't always right, or at least didn't think they would have any huge problems to deal with given their situation.
Image
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Image
Squeely
User avatar

Years of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Posts: 2232
Joined: December 6th, 2015, 7:04 am
Location: Where my rump rests
Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Gender: Non-binary
Pride Points: 49

Re: T&P vs. the hyena trio

Postby BrianGriffinFan » January 31st, 2016, 7:17 am

Squeely wrote:To add to what PrincessKiara said, I think Timon and Pumbaa are kinda cute. They have some cute moments at the very least. I mean just look at Pumbaa's big ol' puppy dog eyes here:
Spoiler: show
Image


I wouldn't go so far as to say the hyenas are ugly, though the film doesn't exactly present them in a very appealing light, either. And I can't think of any moments they had that would be regarded as all that cute.

So from the standpoint of most parents, Timon and Pumbaa would be far more marketable. Parents would want their children to side with the good guys. I don't think the hyenas are evil, but I can see why parents may see them that way, or at least see them as undesirable.


Timon and Pumbaa are meant to look forlorn in that scene. It doesn't really make them cute.

As for the hyenas, it's just my opinion.

As for Timon and Pumbaa being "marketable"...yeah, that's their problem. If they were really likeable, well-written characters that were pleasant to look at, that would be one thing. But to me, all they are is ugly, gross, and annoying. Sure, Ren and Stimpy were, too, but...this is a movie that is a drama about a kid, and later, an adult. Kinda out of place.
BrianGriffinFan
User avatar

Years of membershipYears of membership

Posts: 126
Joined: December 8th, 2015, 9:10 am
Pride Points: -1

Previous

Return to The Lion King

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests