Why did Scar look thinner and older than Mufasa?

Why did Scar look thinner and older than Mufasa?

Postby Ananda » November 29th, 2013, 4:35 pm

I know this may have been probably discussed but the old threads can't be found now so here it is.

Even tho Scar was Mufasa's younger brother, he looked way weaker and older than Mufasa. And even tho he lived in the pridelands and probably ate from the same food there, he looked thinner than all the lions living there. Any reason why? :?
Ananda

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Re: Why did Scar look thinner and older than Mufasa?

Postby juhouh » November 29th, 2013, 7:42 pm

Mufasa did look much older than Scar. I don't know why did he look weaker than Mufasa even they did live both in Pridelands. The Lion King is full of wonders
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby Todd23 » November 29th, 2013, 7:55 pm

I think it was an artistic choice to show why he'd be even more jealous of his brother-see, I think they felt if they made Scar look weaker, it would make him more jealous of Mufasa because, in his mind, "he's only king because he's strong while I'm not". You see what I'm saying?
Todd23

Pride Points: 2

Postby Si-Amber » November 29th, 2013, 8:29 pm

Because if Scar had been a physical match for Mufasa, he could have just fought him, instead of coming up with evil schemes to get rid of him.
Si-Amber

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 74

Postby Meskhenet » November 29th, 2013, 9:07 pm

It's just a way to match the character's look with it's attitude of jealousy. It still amazes me the significance of the size change in Scar. In the concept art, he was just as physically matched as Mufasa, but in the final production he looks sickly.
Meskhenet
Let this prayer be your guide

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always remember your pride

Nickname(s): Mesk
Pride Points: 21

Postby EdtheHyena » November 30th, 2013, 1:48 am

I didn't like how they made Scar so thin. It didn't suit him. And he didn't just look bad compared to his brother (who has the body all male lions probably want!) but compared to the neutral body structures of Simba, the lionesses, and the hyenas.

"Don't lose you're way...with each passing day...you've come so far, don't throw it away."
EdtheHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Eddie
Pride Points: 3

Postby Annie » December 4th, 2013, 4:00 pm

I can't give a "canon" answer, but it does happen. A lot!

My brothers resemble Mufasa and Scar.

My oldest brother Adam is chunkier, has gingery brown hair and is good and kind.
My other brother Ben is tall, slim, has black hair, looks older and although he is good and kind mostly, he does have a mean streak (which usually involves being mean to me :P)

Thor and Loki are also a good example.
R.I.P Annie, Holly, Spike, Louie, Mel, Robbie, Mr.H, Molly, Archie, Blobby and Dancer <3
Annie
Hyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Rawr

Pride Points: 29

Postby Si-Amber » December 4th, 2013, 8:34 pm

^ Yes, us chunky guys are usually best! :D
Si-Amber

Pride Points: 74

Postby SimbaWinter » December 4th, 2013, 10:39 pm

not sure, scar doesn't get his food from pride rock i guess......................
SimbaWinter
What's a motto?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nothing, What's a motto with you?

Nickname(s): Arty
Pride Points: 0

Postby Carl » December 5th, 2013, 4:08 pm

He could have just been sickly. In nature, there is often a runt of the litter, a smaller, weaker, and more sickly cub than the others. In this case, it all makes perfect sense. Ahadi and Uru (or whoever their parents were if you don't accept the semi-canon ones) wouldn't have expected Scar to survive to adulthood. Mufasa was the healthier cub, and older to some extent, so he is the obvious choice for an heir. Scar becomes jealous because contrary to what they guess, he does survive to adulthood, but, being sickly, he never puts on enough weight or muscle to be a match for Mufasa. Obviously that's only a theory as there's no official answer, but it makes sense, and they surely only did it for design purposes.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Next

Return to The Lion King