The "Botched" Moral

The "Botched" Moral

Postby Ninaroja » May 29th, 2014, 6:36 pm

I was recently watching The Nostalgia Critic's review of The Lion King (which you can find here ) , and a certain part of the review drew my attention.

[quote=" Nostalgia Critic "] I guess the moral of the story is "never take responsibility for what you've done because nobody will be behind you unless it turns out you didn't really do it". Yeah, how is this confronting his past? It's a past that never happened, so it doesn't matter. And even when he thought it did happen, the movie didn't support him, almost as if the film was saying if he did accidentally kill his father he deserves to die. Nobody's on his side until he comes out and says "haha wasn't me", and, I'm sorry, that's a serious flaw. [/quote]

So what do MLK people think of this? The way I see it, even though I agree that yes it was facing up to "a past that never happened", the main point of Simba's return was not only that, but to take responsibility as the rightful King (which he knew all along he was) and to confront his fear of going back (someday I'll go into detail on my "Simba has anxiety/PTSD theory).

Open to the floor, as they say 8-)
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Re: The "Botched" Moral

Postby juhouh » May 29th, 2014, 7:33 pm

Am I stupid or what? I didn't catch the point of this video (seems like I've disliked it before as well). He just keeps telling the story and says his personal opinion. That's all :/
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby DGFone » May 29th, 2014, 7:34 pm

I don't think that the pride was necessarily "against" Simba until it was magically revealed that he was innocent the entire time. After all, when that was revealed, they pounced, meaning that they were ready to do so already. All it meant was that they were somewhat uncertain, which in RL anyone would be.

How would you feel risking everything by gambling it on an admitted murderer? The pride was ready to fight with Simba against Scar no matter what. It was only that the revealing that Scar was the one responsible all along eliminated any hesitation they had, as well as exploding the hatred they had for Scar to the point of attacking.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Regulus » May 29th, 2014, 10:49 pm

Actually, the moral of TLK is that the older brother always knows best, and if you think you can do a better job, you're probably evil.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby DGFone » May 29th, 2014, 10:51 pm

[quote="Regulus"]Actually, the moral of TLK is that the older brother always knows best, and if you think you can do a better job, you're probably evil.[/quote]

Won't that mean that the real moral is don't listen to trolls? :?
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby TheLionPrince » May 30th, 2014, 8:45 pm

The pride would certainly be more confused rather than against Simba. For years, Scar told them that Simba and Mufasa perished in a wildebeest stampede, but when it turns out that Simba is alive, Scar completely changes the story to make them believe Simba caused the wildebeest stampede that killed Mufasa. If Scar knew that Simba "accidentally" killed Mufasa, then why didn't he tell them that version of the story instead? Easily, the pride should notice that both stories are contradictory (given Simba is alive), but Scar hardly gives them adequate time to sort out what really happened outside of the allotted time Sarabi questions Simba's testimony.

Given the lionesses' shocked faces and Nala's reaction to Simba dangling from Pride Rock's edge, they still expressed concern for him, but Scar's final admission to being the real murderer gave them the extra push to support Simba, which they had along.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Carl » June 5th, 2014, 9:13 pm

Since the lionesses never once acted like they weren't ready to support Simba, I have to disagree with his disingenuous assertion.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Timon8 » June 18th, 2014, 4:41 pm

I think The Lion King is the best movie ever made, but I can kinda see what Doug (Nostalgia Critic) is coming from. Still a great movie.
''When the world turns it back on you, you turn your back on the world!''
Timon8
I see carnivores...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Hakuna Matata!

Pride Points: 5

Postby Haraka » June 18th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Well the lionesses were completely ready to help him but the scene where simba faces scar is just a chain of shocking events for them , naturally they had to be stunned.

- simba is still alive
- simba is challenging scar
- simba killed his father

What they all believed comes crashing down but then :

-Oh no that was scar who killed mufasa.

The moment of doubt is over , scar must face what he did in the past and the lionesses pounce on the hyenas to support their rightful leader
Haraka

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 10

Return to The Lion King