When Will "The Lion King" Be Out Of The Disney Vault?

When Will "The Lion King" Be Out Of The Disney Vault?

Postby KiaraOfThePridelands » March 15th, 2015, 12:57 am

:( I will explain my thoughts and list my question(s) below.

Thoughts:
-Why in 2011 did they release the Diamond Edition of "The Lion King" (at that time it was the 18th anniversary- normally "18th anniversary" is not a headline)?
-Well I know that "The Lion Guard" movie is suppose to come out later this fall and series next year; I wonder if they will release another edition of the series.
-Wait, I know that Aladdin is suppose to be their thing later this year, so I can forget about that.
-So why last year for TLK's 20th anniversary (2014) did they only come out with a cd?
-Why was it shortly out of the vault then in the vault again?
-If they are starting "The Lion Guard' wouldn't they want to release another edition now then ever before to introduce this whole story to the newcomers?
-The Broadway show is only getting bigger..
-With all of this I have to ask the questions below this.

QUESTION---With everything above, When will it come out of the vault with another release of edition for the series?---QUESTION
KiaraOfThePridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Re: When Will "The Lion King" Be Out Of The Disney Vault?

Postby TheLionPrince » March 15th, 2015, 6:25 am

[quote="KiaraOfThePridelands"]Why in 2011 did they release the Diamond Edition of "The Lion King" (at that time it was the 18th anniversary- normally "18th anniversary" is not a headline)?[/quote]

Starting in 2009, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment started a new re-issue lineup called the Diamond Edition, in which they repeated each installment's release in their previous Platinum Edition lineup. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was the first one in which it was released in 2009, Beauty and the Beast was re-released the next year, and The Lion King (which was the third release of the Platinum Edition) was given the Diamond treatment in 2011.

Also, in a matter of correction, 2011 would be the 17th anniversary of the film. ;)

[quote="KiaraOfThePridelands"]So why last year for TLK's 20th anniversary (2014) did they only come out with a cd?[/quote]

I don't know what goes on behind close doors at the Disney studios so this is pure speculation on my part. Disney had already re-released The Lion King on Blu-Ray three years ago (in 2014's business thinking) so a new home video release was out of the question. Movie studios usually honor the anniversary of their popular movies like Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz with a small-scale theatrical re-release, but Disney probably never thought doing that since they had already done that three years ago. Plus, they already scheduled their upcoming films like Guardians of the Galaxy during the summertime so there was no need to compete against them.

The only thing left was to re-release the soundtrack in which Walt Disney Records decided to honor the anniversary by starting a new lineup of releasing the soundtracks of their popular animated films in accordance to their film's anniversary date. It was 2014 so it's reasonable to finally release the complete soundtrack of the film. Then, they announced a new television series so it was clear Disney was finding ways to honor its twentieth anniversary.

[quote="KiaraOfThePridelands"]Why was it shortly out of the vault then in the vault again?[/quote]

The re-release trailers usually warn us that they are for "a limited time" so they can prevent digital piracy, not flood the market with an overload of their products, and preserve the films for another generation every decade.

[quote="KiaraOfThePridelands"]If they are starting "The Lion Guard' wouldn't they want to release another edition now then ever before to introduce this whole story to the newcomers?[/quote]

They probably don't have to do that since parents can purchase the recent issues of the films online for their child(ren). Disney could also play the movies on one of their cable channels (like Disney Channel, ABC Family, or Disney Junior), or place the films on their on-demand subscription package. However, kids these days are obsessed with Frozen and superheroes so they are following their audiences' tastes.

[quote="KiaraOfThePridelands"]QUESTION---With everything above, When will it come out of the vault with another release of edition for the series?---QUESTION[/quote]

Due to their seven-year re-release tradition, we will probably see a new re-release sometime in 2018. If not, they will probably re-release in 2019 in recognition of the twenty-fifth anniversary or the early 2020s.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby tlkfan1 » June 9th, 2015, 10:01 pm

I hope that disney is going to re-release the Lion King :) on Blu-Ray when the Lion Guard comes out because I just discovered that Disney shut down their BD Live service (it was a way to store bonus features online instead of on the disc itself) When disney released the Lion King on Blu-Ray they decided to put the classic bonus features from the platinum release on Disney's BD Live instead of on the disc. I don't know why Disney chose to put the classic bonus features on BD Live instead of on the disc like they did for some other movies diamond edition releases:?(maybe there wasn't enough space but then they could of put them on a second disc). So because of this I can no longer access the classic dvd bonus features on my 2011 Blu-Ray. So I am hoping that Disney will re-release it with all the bonus features on it (from both the Platinum and the diamond edition) :)
Here is a list of the bonus features that are no longer accessible on the 2011 Blu-Ray (unless you have the Platinum edition DVD witch I don't :( .
• The Making Of "Morning Report"
• Music Videos:
– "Hakuna Matata"
– "Circle Of Life" Music Video Performed by the Disney Channel "Circle of Stars"
– "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" Performed by Sir Elton John
• The Lion King Personality Profile Game
• Timon's Grab-A-Grub Game
• Pumbaa's Sound Sensations
• Timon & Pumbaa's Virtual Safari
• Landmark Songwriting
• Orchestral Color
• Scoring Emotion
• Music: African Influence
• Audio Sequel
• Full Circle
• Stage Musical Origins
• Screen to Stage
• Musical Texture
• Setting The Stage
• Leaps of Fantasy
• Disney & Animals
• Origins
• Production Research Trip
• Art: African Influence
• Reflections
• Storyboard Process
• Production Design
• Character Design
• Computer Animation
• Film Character Design Galleries
• Story Origins
• Timeless Themes
• The Story Comes To Life
• Multi-Language Reel
• Storyboard-To-Film Comparison
• The Animal Kingdom
• International Release
• Sound Design
• Film Character Design Galleries
• Stage Musical Publicity Gallery
• Elephant Graveyard Gallery
• Pride Rock Gallery
• Pride Lands Gallery
• Jungle Flora Gallery
• Rafiki's Tree Gallery
• Background Layer Assembly Galleries
• EFX Animation Galleries

These are the only features still accessible (they are on the disc)
•4 Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes;
•Deleted Song;
•The Morning Report: Extended scene;
•Never-Before-Seen Bloopers;
•Pride of The Lion King
•The Lion King: A Memoir- Don Hahn
•Disney Sing Along Mode
•Interactive Gallery
•Audio Commentary
Image Image
Mood Button by SimbaObsesser
tlkfan1
I Just Can't Wait to Be King!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Here me Roar!!

Telegram: wolfwideweb
Pride Points: 2

Postby Captain Cupcake » June 10th, 2015, 6:59 am

It'll still be a good few years until they re-release the film with even more additional bonus features and the like, but they've recently done a re-issue of the whole trilogy on Blu-ray in a few regions, with copies out in stores near the end of this month. TLK2 and TLK 1 1/2 retain their covers from the previous blu-ray release, but TLK's one got royally botched with a quick edit of part of the Platinum Edition's old cover:

Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Return to The Lion King