The Lion King to be preserved by US Library of Congress.

The Lion King to be preserved by US Library of Congress.

Postby Elton John » December 14th, 2016, 7:14 pm

Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: The Lion King to be preserved by US Library of Congress.

Postby TheLionPrince » December 15th, 2016, 12:53 am

Awesome! Given how popular and iconic the film is, you would think it would have been registered a lot sooner. Nevertheless, better late than never. Although it's unlikely, I hope they preserved the original theatrical cut, which Disney hasn't released since 1995.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Elton John » December 15th, 2016, 1:40 am

The movie needs to be at least a decade old and have shown cultural significance.

The breakfast club was just added and that movie is 31 years old.

By now tlk has hit the same level of pop culture importance as a lot of walt era disney films.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby TheLionPrince » December 15th, 2016, 6:28 pm

[quote="The Lionvengers"]The movie needs to be at least a decade old and have shown cultural significance.

By now tlk has hit the same level of pop culture importance as a lot of walt era disney films.[/quote]

I know the ten-year rule. Even Toy Story was registered at the Library of Congress by the end of its ten-year existence in 2005. I wouldn't say by now Lion King has hit the epitome of cultural significance because it certainly was abundant in pop culture since its initial release as it referenced and parodied multiple times on television programs, spawned two best-selling sequels, and had a popular, award-winning Broadway musical to keep its brand alive — and all within a span of ten years. Even the 2011 re-release brought more attention to the film.

But like I said, better late than never.
TheLionPrince

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Elton John » December 15th, 2016, 6:43 pm

While all of that IS true, I was talking about the level of Bambi, Snow White, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty.

Being iconic on a very high level.

I'm assuming that toy story made it before tlk because it wasthe first fully cgi film.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby TheLionPrince » December 15th, 2016, 7:54 pm

I know the films you were referring to. I was just saying Lion King probably become more cultural significantly and iconic a lot faster than those films. Some of the films you listed were box office flops upon initial release and had to be re-issued to gain their cultural acclaim. For example, Sleeping Beauty didn't do as well at the box office in 1959, and wasn't re-released until 1970 where it still performed mildly at best. It probably didn't reach its height of popularity until the 1980s.
TheLionPrince

Postby SimbasGuard » December 25th, 2016, 12:31 am

I never gave any thought to this happening. I was thrilled that this happened, but if you think about it. It is rather uprising that it didn't happen sooner.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Lynx » December 28th, 2016, 12:36 am

[quote="Groot"]The movie needs to be at least a decade old and have shown cultural significance.

By now tlk has hit the same level of pop culture importance as a lot of walt era disney films.[/quote]
The films are also decided on a voting basis. If a film's not voted in by the committee it remains on the list indefinitely.
Lynx

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Squeely » February 1st, 2017, 7:10 am

I suppose it is a little a strange that it took so long for it to happen, since TLK has been a massively popular phenomenon since its debut. But glad it finally happened!
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Return to The Lion King