Why didn't Zazu say anything?

Why didn't Zazu say anything?

Postby Panda-chan » January 9th, 2018, 4:59 am

Welp, I think I just discovered a big gaping plothole in this movie. :hmph3:

So during the Stampede scene, Zazu flies ahead and sees Simba dangling on a branch, holding on for dear life. Zazu flies back and tells Mufasa and Scar, and Mufasa runs into the gorge to help Simba. Zazu then says something about going back for help and Scar [censored] him into a rock wall. The next time we see Zazu is during Scar's speech to the Pridelands, where he is seen trying to console Sarabi.

What confuses me is why Zazu didn't try to warn any of them about Scar. He must have known Scar was the one who struck him from behind—after all, who else could it be? Wouldn't he wonder why Scar decided to knock him out before he could go get help? And afterwards, did he really just wake up, see only Mufasa's corpse, and buy Scar's story that both Simba and Mufasa died at the gorge? I feel like these inconsistencies would be enough to arouse anyone's suspicions.

Thoughts? :/
D̵̢̨̧̛͔̖͍̝̤̫̼̝̬̤̪̟͇͙̊̏̎͛̇̏͊͌̃̂̈́͂̒̄̅̚̚͘͝R̸̥̙͂̀̾̑̊̀̉́̀́̐̄̊̿̈́̄͑̐̕͝I̴̗̯̼̳͉͕̺̤̖̝̪̫̊͛͝͠Ǹ̵̨̧͈̮̦̖̝͈̥̗͕̭͉̺̲͕̥͔͎̹͖͙͇̲̘̩̞͓̦̦̯̮̙̜̼̝͈̣̺̰̺̟̙̫̫ͅK̶̢̢̡̧̢̛̻͎̘͉̦͚̳̗̱̗̮̫̲͎̟͚͖̠̣̺͎̠̤͈̩̞͈͚̣̳̟̣̓͊͊̍̀̇͆́͐̔̔̅̿̅̋̈̈́̔̈̒̌̆̃̇͗̂̐̽́͊̋͗̚̕͘͜͜͠͝͝ ̴̧̧̢̧̧̢̛̦̗̦̭͔̝͎̘͍͚͈̰̦̲͍̥͚̱͓̦̙̞̱̜̹̍̉́̿̃͆̆̾̀̍̊͛̈́̽̈́̀̋̒̾͗͗͂̾̊̇̃̈́̋́̓̄̂̐͊͂̏̿̅͂̚͘̚͜͠͝͠ͅͅͅͅW̵̢̧̨̥͇̳̩͍̪̓̉͊̓̏͜͠Ã̵̧̨͍͚̭̱̦̯̣͓̱̫͑͋̋̾̎͑̽̔̒͆̉͒͑͆̎͑̑̒͋̑̀̒̿͑̄͋̒͆̑͆̔̈̈́͂͆̾̾̌̃̏̊̓͘͜͝͠͠T̸̨̧̛̮̙̰͇̹̭̥̙̝̱̼̥͖̟̃̔̑̒̓̈́͂̈́̂̓̂̎̋͊̌͋̂͂̃̂͝͠͠͝ͅĘ̴̧̡̢̧̡̠͉͉͕̤̳̘̖̙̭͙͕̻͍̖̗͙̯͈͔͋̄̾̄͛͌͌͒͛̇̎͋̉̈́̆̈́̍̎̆̒͑̒̅̋̊̄̈̿͒̈̋̾̊́̔̚͝͠͝͠ͅŖ̸̠̫͓̞͈̫̉̂
Panda-chan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

STAY HYDRATED, FOLKS

Nickname(s): Weeb trash
Telegram: 6834232905344686445634231897968563522324236894284563523722616678
Pride Points: 108

Re: Why didn't Zazu say anything?

Postby Azdgari » January 9th, 2018, 5:08 am

To the first point, I would guess he got smacked hard enough not to remember what happened. To the second, we have to suspend disbelief in general anyway, since everyone bought Simba's death despite the lack of corpse.

It's a good note, but I think they've got plausible deniability on this one...
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby DGFone » January 9th, 2018, 7:36 am

Getting knocked in the head hard enough to pass out, even for a moment? Good luck remembering what caused it. There's a reason why when you go to a doctor's office complaining of hitting your head against something, they always ask you to remember exactly what happened - it's a good indicator for possible concussion.

Scar, even if a wimp by lion standards, is more than enough to knock a bird like Zazu senseless. All he would remember of the even would be along the lines of "rushing to find Mufasa for help, and then... waking up with a splitting headache".

Add to the fact that it was a stampede, and I can totally see Zazu convincing himself that he flew into a wall or wildebeest in the panic. Never attribute to malice that which simple negligence can explain - i.e., Zazu somehow messed up and got knocked out, rather than even having a reason to suspect that Scar was responsible. Plus, even if Zazu did have doubts - who would believe him?
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby TheLionPrince » January 9th, 2018, 8:38 pm

African hornbills have binocular vision. A major disadvantage is that it provides a smaller field of view. Even without this fact, Zazu clearly didn't see Scar hit him from behind because Scar hit him in his blind spot. The following impact on his head against the gorge wall knocked him out cold that he doesn't remember who or what could have hit him.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Panda-chan » January 10th, 2018, 8:36 pm

[quote="DGFone"]Plus, even if Zazu did have doubts - who would believe him?[/quote]
This is true lol.

But yeah, I can see Zazu getting a concussion and forgetting everything. I just found it interesting that Scar was so sloppy about this one aspect of his plan. Because if you think about it, the only witnesses to the stampede are Scar himself, Mufasa (who's dead), Simba (who ran away), the hyenas (who would of course corroborate Scar's story), and... Zazu. If Zazu *had* remembered what he saw, the movie would have played out very differently.

Thanks for the replies though! :D
D̵̢̨̧̛͔̖͍̝̤̫̼̝̬̤̪̟͇͙̊̏̎͛̇̏͊͌̃̂̈́͂̒̄̅̚̚͘͝R̸̥̙͂̀̾̑̊̀̉́̀́̐̄̊̿̈́̄͑̐̕͝I̴̗̯̼̳͉͕̺̤̖̝̪̫̊͛͝͠Ǹ̵̨̧͈̮̦̖̝͈̥̗͕̭͉̺̲͕̥͔͎̹͖͙͇̲̘̩̞͓̦̦̯̮̙̜̼̝͈̣̺̰̺̟̙̫̫ͅK̶̢̢̡̧̢̛̻͎̘͉̦͚̳̗̱̗̮̫̲͎̟͚͖̠̣̺͎̠̤͈̩̞͈͚̣̳̟̣̓͊͊̍̀̇͆́͐̔̔̅̿̅̋̈̈́̔̈̒̌̆̃̇͗̂̐̽́͊̋͗̚̕͘͜͜͠͝͝ ̴̧̧̢̧̧̢̛̦̗̦̭͔̝͎̘͍͚͈̰̦̲͍̥͚̱͓̦̙̞̱̜̹̍̉́̿̃͆̆̾̀̍̊͛̈́̽̈́̀̋̒̾͗͗͂̾̊̇̃̈́̋́̓̄̂̐͊͂̏̿̅͂̚͘̚͜͠͝͠ͅͅͅͅW̵̢̧̨̥͇̳̩͍̪̓̉͊̓̏͜͠Ã̵̧̨͍͚̭̱̦̯̣͓̱̫͑͋̋̾̎͑̽̔̒͆̉͒͑͆̎͑̑̒͋̑̀̒̿͑̄͋̒͆̑͆̔̈̈́͂͆̾̾̌̃̏̊̓͘͜͝͠͠T̸̨̧̛̮̙̰͇̹̭̥̙̝̱̼̥͖̟̃̔̑̒̓̈́͂̈́̂̓̂̎̋͊̌͋̂͂̃̂͝͠͠͝ͅĘ̴̧̡̢̧̡̠͉͉͕̤̳̘̖̙̭͙͕̻͍̖̗͙̯͈͔͋̄̾̄͛͌͌͒͛̇̎͋̉̈́̆̈́̍̎̆̒͑̒̅̋̊̄̈̿͒̈̋̾̊́̔̚͝͠͝͠ͅŖ̸̠̫͓̞͈̫̉̂
Panda-chan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

STAY HYDRATED, FOLKS

Nickname(s): Weeb trash
Telegram: 6834232905344686445634231897968563522324236894284563523722616678
Pride Points: 108

Postby PrincessKiara » January 10th, 2018, 8:46 pm

I agree with the point others have made about Zazu being knocked out and not being able to remember.

In regards to not seeing/finding Simba`s body... Scar himself never checked that the hyenas had in fact killed the cub, maybe he assumed they ate him, idk. We don`t know if Sarabi or any of the other lionesses saw the body of Mufasa with their own eyes, perhaps Scar just went back to Pride Rock and delivered the tragic news and no one actually went to the gorge to look for the bodies. We can only speculate if the lions or other animals in the Pride Lands hold funerals or ceremonies of some kind to honour their dead.
Even if Sarabi did go to the gorge to see her mates body and mourn, Scar could make up a lie about Simbas body being carried off by the wildebeest in the chaos, or perhaps say that he had spotted the lion cubs corpse lying amongst the brambles and therefore couldn`t be retrieved. The grief-stricken Sarabi would believe him and most likely not be able to face seeing her cub`s body, so she wouldn`t investigate personally.

But getting back to Zazu, I don`t think he would suspect Scar of any foul play. I don`t think Zazu liked Scar very much, but he wouldn`t suspect him of committing murder. As for Zazu not seeing/finding Simba`s body, I think he would buy any story Scar told him - again, not having any reason to believe Scar would lie to him. Perhaps Zazu was incapable of flying much after getting knocked out as well, and so flying around the gorge in search for Simbas body wasn`t possible for him, and he was left to assume that the cub was dead even if there was no body to prove it.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby FriendlyHyena » April 3rd, 2018, 10:31 pm

[quote="Panda-chan"][quote="DGFone"]Plus, even if Zazu did have doubts - who would believe him?[/quote]
This is true lol.

But yeah, I can see Zazu getting a concussion and forgetting everything. I just found it interesting that Scar was so sloppy about this one aspect of his plan. Because if you think about it, the only witnesses to the stampede are Scar himself, Mufasa (who's dead), Simba (who ran away), the hyenas (who would of course corroborate Scar's story), and... Zazu. If Zazu *had* remembered what he saw, the movie would have played out very differently.

Thanks for the replies though! :D[/quote]

Actually, Zazu wasn't the only poor point of Scar's plan. There were actually some more

1.) In the gorge, right as Scar leaves, he goes down some side path, presumably to get to the hyenas. What if Simba had found that path and simply stepped out of the way? Then Simba would have survived and Mufasa wouldn't have gone there and would have lived too. After probing into why Simba had gotten himself into his second near death situation within a day (Was it a day?), Mufasa might have learned that Simba had been there on the advice of Scar, and, perhaps with more probing, found out that Scar let Simba know about the elephant graveyard too. I think then Mufasa would be able to put two and two together and would have had Scar executed for trying to do in Prince Simba.

2.) The Wildebeests - Considering that everyone thought that they had trampled Mufasa to death (as everyone believe that's what happened rather than that Mufasa was thrown by Scar), I think Sarabi and others would have wanted to know WHY they were stampeding. (I mean, to make sure it wasn't a Wildebeest plot to kill Mufasa and Simba or something.) And I'm sure at least one of them could have mentioned the cause: hyenas. Guess who Scar brings into the Pridelands once he takes over: hyenas! Some Pridelanders might have seen that as a red flag.

3.) Nala - I think Nala would most definitely recognize Shenzi, Banzai, and Ed, who had just tried to kill her and Simba the day before. Scar bringing them in would certainly have irked her and led to her raising some questions, to her mother Sarafina at the very least.

4.) Simba himself - Scar was really banking on Simba actually falling for it. What if Simba instead ran home to cry to his mother? Like my mentioning about Mufasa probing and finding out the truth, I think Sarabi would have reassured him that it was not his fault and have eventually figured out that it was Scar's idea to in the Gorge, may have also found out about Scar and the Elephant Graveyard, and would be VERY angry about Scar telling Simba to run far away and never return.

Further on the point of Simba himself, it's also possible that Simba himself could have perished in the gorge BEFORE Mufasa could have gone into it. (Simba was on a branch. It easily could have snapped before Mufasa got there.) Perhaps he would have seen Simba be trampled, figured he wouldn't have survived, and thus waited till the stampede was over to get the body. Then Scar would have some hyenas he'd have to please (for his promise that they'd never go hungry again) but he'd have to wait YEARS (or form a new plan again) to become king when Mufasa died of old age, assuming that Mufasa and Sarabi didn't produce another heir in the meantime.
FriendlyHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 2

Postby Elton John » April 3rd, 2018, 10:44 pm

about the wildebeast thing. It’s not like Scar has to tell the lionesses that the hyenas scared them into a stampede. They could have just made up some kind of story.

your whole post is loaded with ‘what if’s’. sure, scars plan could have failed at any moment, but it didn’t.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Return to The Lion King