Why did the lionesses let the hyenas in?

Why did the lionesses let the hyenas in?

Postby FriendlyHyena » April 20th, 2018, 6:10 pm

Let's put it this way, Mufasa had gotten into a nasty fight with some of them only the day before and yet Scar just bring them in. He may be the king, but I'm surprised that he wasn't challenged on this. It seems that Zazu at the very least knew that the hyenas and their poaching were a problem.

More to the point, it seems that Scar says "With a heavy heart I assume the throne." , meaning that that moment was officially when he took the throne. However, the hyenas appear already walking into sight of Pride Rock as he makes his announcement to let the hyenas in.

It seems almost certain that Mufasa had a law banning the hyenas from entering the Pridelands, and, until Scar struck it down upon assuming the throne (I don't think he took the throne until that night during his speech, likely because the afternoon involved investigating the death of Mufasa and the so-called death of Simba), the rule would still be in effect. Hence, it's surprising that nobody tried to forcefully chase them off to enforce Mufasa's rule as they crossed into the Pridelands, which they must have done BEFORE Scar changed the law.
FriendlyHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 2

Re: Why did the lionesses let the hyenas in?

Postby TheLionPrince » April 20th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Scar was the new king and the lionesses have no power to object or rule against him. That's simply the way an absolute monarchy works.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby TLK_Kid » April 20th, 2018, 8:03 pm

Now that you mention it, it might be true that the hyenas had to cross into the Pride Lands before that night. For some reason that scene has always made me think Scar sort of kept them "backstage" until his speech, when they appeared behind him and were officially brought into the kingdom.

Maybe he sneaked them into the Pride Lands, or maybe the lionesses were too upset from the tragedy to be able to fight against them too much. If the whole clan came in at once, I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to keep them out. Either way, once they were in and Scar had the throne, the lionesses couldn't do anything about it.
TLK_Kid
When in doubt...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

ASANTE SANA SQUASH BANANA

Nickname(s): Just call me Kid xD
Pride Points: 4

Postby SimbasGuard » April 21st, 2018, 5:58 am

[quote="TheLionPrince"]Scar was the new king and the lionesses have no power to object or rule against him. That's simply the way an absolute monarchy works.[/quote]

Exactly and if you will remember The lionesses were surprised when Scar announced that The Hyenas were moving into The Pride Lands. Like TLK Kid said Scar obviously kept The Hyenas backstage as it were until he announced them.

For all we know Sarabi and Sarafina in particular did strongly protest Scar's decision. With Zazu advising him that letting The hyenas move in was a very bad idea.

In the end however as TheLionPrince stated Scar held absolute power and the choice was his alone.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Return to The Lion King