Why didn't Zazu leave the Pridelands when Scar took over?

Why didn't Zazu leave the Pridelands when Scar took over?

Postby FriendlyHyena » April 20th, 2018, 6:17 pm

"If this is where the monarchy is headed
Count me out!
Out of service, out of Africa!
I wouldn't hang about!"

Considering that he sang that when he thought of what kind of a leader Simba might be, why didn't he leave early on in Scar's reign? Yes, Zazu likes his position, but the lyrics above indicate that conditions existed where he'd be willing to give it up. You'd have thought Scar bringing in the hyenas would have been enough to cause Zazu to hand in his resignation.

Heck, they could have had Zazu do just that and then later be the one to find Simba instead of Nala. It would have been classic irony that Zazu ends up leaving because of Scar and ends up seeking the help of SIMBA to make things right.

Also, when arriving back in the Pridelands, instead of seeing Scar attack Sarabi, we could have seen Scar trying to make Nala be his queen and Simba arrive just in time to stop him. That would have been just as dramatic, if not more, than Scar attacking Sarabi.

Of course, this would cut out "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" and a lot of Nala's role in the movie, but it's doable.

Seriously, why did Zazu stay in the Pridelands? He's a bird. Scar can't capture him if he doesn't want to be captured.
FriendlyHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 2

Re: Why didn't Zazu leave the Pridelands when Scar took over

Postby TheLionPrince » April 20th, 2018, 6:46 pm

He was contained in a ribcage although we are never told for how long. Maybe, he did try to escape, and when he did, Scar imprisoned him. As for your idea to have Zazu escape the Pride Lands and confuse Simba to go back home, it could have work as a "what if" fan fiction. However, I don't think Simba's reunion with Zazu would have been as emotional as his reunion with Nala.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Elton John » April 20th, 2018, 6:52 pm

because he’s really loyal to the royal family. It’s as simple as that.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby TLK_Kid » April 20th, 2018, 7:51 pm

I feel like maybe he stayed there for the lionesses' sake; after all, he was still loyal to Sarabi and probably wanted to save the kingdom if at all possible. He's too loyal to simply run off when Scar took the throne.
TLK_Kid
When in doubt...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

ASANTE SANA SQUASH BANANA

Nickname(s): Just call me Kid xD
Pride Points: 4

Postby SimbasGuard » April 21st, 2018, 6:23 am

[quote="TheLionPrince"]He was contained in a ribcage although we are never told for how long. Maybe, he did try to escape, and when he did, Scar imprisoned him.[/quote]

I never thought of that it actually makes a lot of sense.

[quote="TLK_Kid"]I feel like maybe he stayed there for the lionesses' sake; after all, he was still loyal to Sarabi and probably wanted to save the kingdom if at all possible. He's too loyal to simply run off when Scar took the throne.[/quote]

Agreed. He was at Sarabi's side during Mufasa and Simba's funeral. He likely knew the she needed all the help she could get, especially given what she had already been through.
Last edited by SimbasGuard on May 10th, 2018, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby le0 » April 25th, 2018, 4:59 am

He definitely could've escaped. And he probably would've. Not too much logic to it except the narrative of the movie honestly.
le0

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Jonas
Pride Points: 15

Postby DGFone » April 25th, 2018, 5:13 am

A sense of duty/loyalty/home perhaps?

To invoke a bit of Godwin's Law into this conversation, but how many jews in pre-WWII Germany did not leave even as it became clearer and clearer that they were no longer welcome in their own homes? Not the first time the unwillingness to leave one's home, even when able, has lead to someone's death.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Littlefoot » April 27th, 2018, 1:33 pm

A lot of those theories do make a good bit of sense. I've always kinda dabbled between Elton John's and le0's, but I like some of these other ones, too.
"I paid, but it's not slippery road surface. Finally, I was a taxi!" :sinister:
Balto forum: http://baltofanclub.proboards.com/
Land Before Time forum: http://www.gangoffive.net/
Littlefoot
Let your heart guide you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

It whispers, so listen closely

Location: Body is in Colorado Springs, CO. Soul is in Santa Fe, NM and Estes Park, CO
Nickname(s): LF, Shane
Pride Points: 7

Return to The Lion King