Did Scar actually improve the Pride Lands long term?

Did Scar actually improve the Pride Lands long term?

Postby FriendlyHyena » September 24th, 2019, 11:14 pm

I know you're going to think I'm nuts on this, but at least Scar was a usurper and his reign was cut short and replaced with Simba's.

However, what if the cub Simba we saw before the stampede actually kept on that path, and perhaps even grew worse, as he got older? What if he ended up like Cusco from Emperor's New Groove, a self-centered, selfish, pampered ruler?

Unlike with Scar, who wasn't the true king, Simba would have been. As Scar himself admits he was too weak in the "brute strength" department, even if he outlived Mufasa and saw Simba rise as the new king, unless he had a covert assassination scheme, Simba would have remained the king.
FriendlyHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 2

Re: Did Scar actually improve the Pride Lands long term?

Postby Stormy » September 25th, 2019, 1:33 am

Hm.. I definitely think what you're saying makes some sense. Even though going the path towards Timon and Pumba could've made him careless and lazier, I believe it helped shape his personality into a not so reckless king as he possibly could've been seen as earlier in the movie. As well as seeing the push he got later on from Rafiki and Nala, snapping his mind into the right places, it definitely could've had a completely different outcome with Simba staying in the same mindset that he had as a cub if Scar hadn't taken his actions.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Custom Text:

Pride Points: 14

Postby DGFone » September 25th, 2019, 5:56 am

I actually somewhat disagree with this assessment.

While it's true that from what we see of cub Simba, he is quite self-centered and selfish, he is also at the age when everyone is like that. I am sure that as he would start to get older, Mufasa would not actually allow him to grow up into a bad king, and would make sure that Simba goes down the right path.

And sure, Scar ruining the Pride Lands (and with some help from Nala and Rafiki) was what finally convinced Simba that he really needs to take the whole 'being king' thing seriously, it is a question if the diving off the deep end immediately after living the Hakuna Matata life with Timon and Pumbaa more than offsets the gradual and slow approach that he would have most likely had under Mufasa.

It's a question about the learning process. And I still think that having a good teacher always trumps self-learning. So no, I don't think that Scar unintentionally made the Pride Lands better by forcing Simba to become a good king.

After all, even, or especially, in real life, how many things were ruined by an inexperienced leader with the best of intentions?
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Stormy » September 25th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Honestly it's just a big "IF". There could've been many different outcomes.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Custom Text:

Pride Points: 14

Postby TheLionPrince » September 27th, 2019, 3:41 am

Simba wouldn't have grown up to be a selfish, immature king if Mufasa was there to guide him. Given how much Simba looks up to Mufasa, he would have definitely followed in his direction.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Outsider218 » November 13th, 2019, 10:36 pm

I think that Scar should have been the rightful king. He was in fact next in line to be king before Simba was born. Scar was betrayed by his brother Mufasa when he chose Simba to be the next king & not Scar. Scar never got a good chance of being king. Scar isn't the bad guy really. True he could have lead the Pridelands better. But it was Mufasa's betrayal to him that made him lead it wrong because of hatred he had for him. Scar should be king!!
Outsider218
Life's Not Fair, is it?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Postby SimbasGuard » November 17th, 2019, 10:33 am

In a monarchy The King's Son (or Daughter, depending on the rules of said monarchy.) always succeeds The King by right of succession. The King's brother only assumes The Throne if The King dies without an Heir.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Return to The Lion King