Timon & Pumbaa's Scenes...

Which Scenes Would Prefer Not to Be There?

It's a girl
14%
Let me define 'babysitting'
8%
Timon... what are you doing here?
14%
The Rhino Chase
6%
You were gonna watch her!
29%
When the going gets tough, the tough get going
29%

Total votes : 49

Re: Timon & Pumbaa's Scenes...

Postby PrincessKiara » March 13th, 2015, 8:07 pm

I voted for:

You were gonna watch her!

and

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

I think SP would have been better if Timon and Pumbaa didn`t steal the focus on so many occasions. I personally only find them amusing a few times in TLK and in SP they`re mostly irritating.
They do have their moments though: I`ve always found the "It`s a girl!" moment comical, and I think the "let me define babySITTING!" scene serves well to establish how over-protective Simba is and how burdened Kiara is by T&P always stalking her. I also think Kiara catching them following her on her first hunt helps to push the plot forward, as it`s discovering them that makes Kiara run away...

Concerning my votes to the poll:
Why was Timon and Pumbaa even there when the two lion prides clashed togeher? You`d think Simba would be concerned for their safety and make them stay at Pride Rock (yeah, I know he wanted them to help look for Kiara, but still!!) The moments when they interrupt in that scene are just annoying and should have been removed. I get that Disney didn`t want this scene to be too dark and scary, but Timon and Pumbaa`s annoying antics just ruin the mood of the scene. Plus, Disney has served us plenty of dark stuff in the past with no comic relief to soften it.

And finally, as others have already mentioned, the "you were gonna watch her!" scene should have just been taken out. How did Simba (or Nala or any of the lionesses) not already notice that Kiara was gone? Why did Simba continue to trust T&P to look after his cub when they were so clearly incompetent? At this point in the film, T&P losing Kiara is just getting old, and their arguement about it is just dumb.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby SimbaPrescott » March 13th, 2015, 9:56 pm

The 'You were gonna watch her' clip for starters. Like a lot of you it would seem, I just can't understand why Simba would constantly leave T&P in charge of Kiara's safety. I get that Disney enjoy shoehorning them in everywhere, but surely Zazu would have made more sense?

Also, their inclusion in the final battle. They just... Really spoil the mood of that scene.
Image is an Epic Mickey concept art. We could have had this in EM3. I still want it.
SimbaPrescott
I laugh in the face of danger.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

He told me no one could defeat me...

Nickname(s): Kari, Simba, Prescott
Pride Points: 27

Postby DragonFromNewYork » May 26th, 2015, 8:57 pm

I'm honestly unsure of why Timon and Pumbaa were even included in the movie and what could be considered a slightly significant role (watching baby Kiara). Whatever comedic value they could have had in the movie wasn't there and, as many posters before me have said, their presence ruins the final fight scene a little.
"Where's your pretty daughter, Nalaaa?"
DragonFromNewYork

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Safina
Pride Points: 1

Postby Lauren » May 26th, 2015, 10:57 pm

What aggravates me about them in SP is that a majority of their scenes should've been cut out and use the time instead to include more of Nala in the film as well as establish her relationship with Kiara. That would've been so much better since she didn't have as many scenes as she should have and it would have equalized Kiara's scenes with both of her parents. Nala deserved more screentime than Timon and Pumbaa because their scenes after the first 20-30 minutes are pretty much pointless.
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby crownofsimba » May 27th, 2015, 2:24 am

I feel like the only scene they were necessary in was the Rhino scene, because other than Kovu's constant "yahoos" which are awkward after the first one, they actually made sense there.

And like if they had just had minor cameos rather than using them for CONSTANT comic relief I think they'd be a lot more bearable. To be honest they hurt the movie a lot because they aren't used with the mindfulness they were in TLK, where they disappeared whenever we needed drama. In SP they are there EVERYWHERE, and while they could have been bearable if they'd just gotten one-liners, they instead get a substantial amount of screentime.

Although tbh my biggest beef with Kiara's hunt is that she GOES ALONE which makes no sense and ruined a good chance for mother/daughter bonding, but alas.
crownofsimba

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 5

Postby sweetface » May 27th, 2015, 2:52 am

They were hardly necessary, as per usual. :roll:

Like most people, I don't mind them in the first movie. The second is when scenes with them were getting unnecessary. Considering they'd had their own TV series, then went on to have their own movie, and basically were just given way too much attention, I'm at the point where I sometimes feel annoyed just looking at them.
sweetface

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby zerodix » August 20th, 2015, 10:36 am

my thoughts are that timon and pumbaa really don't add anything to the movie. They did a good job as comic relief in the first movie, but that was also to cool down the kids from the heavily emotional scene of Mufasas death. there, they were funny and had a function in the movie. In SP they are more of a bother...
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby Hatari05 » August 22nd, 2015, 7:05 am

I agree with most of this accept that they were used more than they were in the first the truth is they actually have more screen time in the first not by much but they do. Timon and Pumba don't belong in climaxes at least not as they are there bits in the first movie weren't bad and the mr Pig scene actually is funny, though still unnecessary however their appearance in the second movies climax is way more distracting mainly from at least my perspective anyway because the first movies climax while awesome with plenty of drama isn't brutal the battle in Simba's pride is not just dramatic it's violent you see one or two shots of lionesses ripping each other to shreds one particular shot has a lioness being piled up on by several outsiders biting into her and pretty much ripping her apart I doubt she survived, and the Timon and Pumba scene immediately follows this one it's just jarring, the other ones don't bother me much (except you were gonna watch her once again because at that point the movie was very serious) because they're so short, let me at him, I love moments like this, it's a girl, or the scene in question isn't as dark or serious Kiara hunt, slimy crunchy, so it's not noticeable. Even funnier that's all their scenes I just named.

I know everyone wanted to see more between Nala and Kiara and feel it was wasted but that's not fair, the first movie didn't show Simba's relationship with Sarabi they only interacted twice each scene no more than a minute long.

Kiara had to do her first hunt alone that's the whole point she's proving she can take care of herself now and is truly an adult, Nala aiding her in her hunt takes away the whole purpose of the ceremony in the first place.

So you can't be mad at lion king II for doing something that Lion King also did would I like to see child mother relationship yes, but if i am going to fault one for not doing it I must fault both which I do I feel both missed an opportunity there.
Hatari05

Nickname(s): you can just call me Hatari for short
Pride Points: 26

Postby PrincessKiara » September 19th, 2015, 9:35 pm

[quote="crownofsimba"]I feel like the only scene they were necessary in was the Rhino scene, because other than Kovu's constant "yahoos" which are awkward after the first one, they actually made sense there.

And like if they had just had minor cameos rather than using them for CONSTANT comic relief I think they'd be a lot more bearable. To be honest they hurt the movie a lot because they aren't used with the mindfulness they were in TLK, where they disappeared whenever we needed drama. In SP they are there EVERYWHERE, and while they could have been bearable if they'd just gotten one-liners, they instead get a substantial amount of screentime.

Although tbh my biggest beef with Kiara's hunt is that she GOES ALONE which makes no sense and ruined a good chance for mother/daughter bonding, but alas.[/quote]

I agree with you, but I must mention that Kiara going hunting alone (while making little sense when looking at RL lions) is essential for the plot. She needs to be alone so she can get caught in the fire that Nuka and Vitani start so Kovu can move in and rescue her, proving to Simba that he can be trusted. Also Kiaras appearent lack of practice/experience in hunting provide perfect opportunities for bonding time with Kovu. ;)

[quote="Hatari05"]I know everyone wanted to see more between Nala and Kiara and feel it was wasted but that's not fair, the first movie didn't show Simba's relationship with Sarabi they only interacted twice each scene no more than a minute long.

Kiara had to do her first hunt alone that's the whole point she's proving she can take care of herself now and is truly an adult, Nala aiding her in her hunt takes away the whole purpose of the ceremony in the first place.

So you can't be mad at lion king II for doing something that Lion King also did would I like to see child mother relationship yes, but if i am going to fault one for not doing it I must fault both which I do I feel both missed an opportunity there.[/quote]

I am also one of the people who feel Kiara and Nalas relationship is underdeveloped and should be shown/explored more. However, the father-daughter relationship is the focus in Simba`s Pride, similarly to how the father-son relationship between Simba and Mufasa was essential to the original movie. Like you said, this meant that Simba and Sarabi would get little interaction. However, from the few exchanges they do share, I feel Simbas relationship to Sarabi is more clearly defined and deeper than Kiaras relationship to Nala.. Which is sadly saying something.
Oh, and I also have to mention that I agree that Kiara going hunting alone appears to be a kind of ceremony, a rite of passage for young lionesses. Also a good chance for Kiara to show that she is capable of doing stuff on her own.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby juhouh » September 23rd, 2015, 5:24 pm

I voted for all 6

These two characters are trash
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King II: Simba's Pride