What's the Deal with the Lionesses Blocking Kiara?

What's the Deal with the Lionesses Blocking Kiara?

Postby Carl » January 6th, 2015, 9:03 pm

I probably shouldn't post here, but I think this topic is safe so... I'm going to give it a go.

Everyone probably knows by now that I rather like SP, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to criticize it.

So there's something I've always wondered. So during the "Not One of Us" sequence, or whatever you want to call it, Kiara protests Simba's decision and tries to run forward and two lionesses jump out to block her.

Yeah, these two.
simbas_pride_4133.jpg

But after a little while of listening to the other animals singing and watching Kovu run away, they suddenly seem to be exhausted and their bodies just suddenly can't lean down in Kiara's path anymore, and then she gets past them.
simbas_pride_4227.jpg

simbas_pride_4228.jpg

They look pained as they lean up, like she forced them aside or something. But she was just standing there, looking and sounding upset and frustrated, not pushing against them or anything. After she "defeats" these two, another duo jump into her path. Based on those pictures, she could have gone around them, so they weren't ever really in her way, just an inconvenience, and that makes it all the more strange.

So, firstly, since she apparently couldn't walk around them, I wonder why didn't she just jump over them, she's shown to be able to jump rather well in the final battle scene, so why not jump over these two gals? And secondly... why did they stand up? Did they suddenly realize that there was nothing she could do even if they didn't block her path? What happened there? And why did they make it look like it was taking a lot of effort to stand in her way? I mean crouching like that for a quadruped isn't exactly difficult.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Re: What's the Deal with the Lionesses Blocking Kiara?

Postby SimbasGuard » January 7th, 2015, 8:56 am

I'm afraid the only thing I can even try to offer an explanation for is why Kiara did not try to jump over the lionesses? Perhaps Kiara was afraid that if she tried something like that it would be perceived as a hostile move and didn't want to escalate tensions.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby TheLionPrince » January 14th, 2015, 1:51 am

[quote="Julie Skywalker"]I probably shouldn't post here, but I think this topic is safe so... I'm going to give it a go.[/quote]

Since it relates to a scene in the movie, this topic belongs here.

Now that you mentioned, a better question is why didn't she run in through the back of Pride Rock where it wasn't guarded. Anyway, in both cases when Kiara is barricaded by two lionesses, the shot scans or pans out to Simba. I'm not sure if the camera movement is meant to tell us anything crucial other than Simba's stern expression over the exiling of Kovu. Anyway, I can't conjure up a suitable answer other than the lionesses were keeping Kiara from running after Kovu.
Last edited by TheLionPrince on January 18th, 2015, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Elton John » January 14th, 2015, 2:15 am

I think a better question is how poorly built the den in pride rock is, it felt like a poorly thought out way for kiara to escape from the rest to look for kovu. Oh hey guys this crack in the wall no one has ever noticed but is easily noticeable shouldn't be guarded! Kiara would never escape from there!
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby DGFone » January 14th, 2015, 2:50 am

While I doubt that Pride Rock was 'built' to suit the lion's needs, I do agree that the method Kiara used to escape out the back really felt... deus ex machina like. I somehow don't think that such a weak area would have been undiscovered, especially since it's right where they live.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Elton John » January 14th, 2015, 3:05 am

I think the main thing that bothers me about the movie is how simba can't get over his father when the whole point of the ending of the first movie is about Simba getting rid of his emotional baggage.

This is still a good movie but the plot is weaker and inconsistent compared to the original.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby SimbasGuard » January 15th, 2015, 12:05 am

[quote="hey101hey"]I think the main thing that bothers me about the movie is how simba can't get over his father when the whole point of the ending of the first movie is about Simba getting rid of his emotional baggage.[/quote]

I think Simba's problem isn't due to leftover emotional baggage, but rather in Simba wanting to rule as his father did to the point that in any given situation Simba thinks what would my father do rather than just doing what he thinks is right. It's as if Simba is trying to a puppet ruler even thought Mufasa isn't pulling his strings.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby gothprincesskiara » January 15th, 2015, 11:36 pm

[quote="hey101hey"]I think the main thing that bothers me about the movie is how simba can't get over his father when the whole point of the ending of the first movie is about Simba getting rid of his emotional baggage.

This is still a good movie but the plot is weaker and inconsistent compared to the original.[/quote]

he is trying to go by what his father taught him he really loved his father. :hmph:
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby ScarsLove » January 18th, 2015, 8:05 pm

I thought those two lionesses were just following some type of order given by Simba off screen to stop his daughter from going after a "traitor".

Image Image Image Image

Spoiler: show
ScarsLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

"All's well that's well for me"

Nickname(s): Wolfy, Nikki
Pride Points: 70

Postby Shadowfax » January 18th, 2015, 9:15 pm

This is actually an interesting point :lol:

I think they kinda backed off because they thought maybe Kiara had gotten the message 'Stay put' And when she ran past them, they decided to glare at her evilly instead. And yeh, I think they were just following their leader and keeping her back to avoid her running after him.
Shadowfax
Never give up;

And good luck will find you.

Pride Points: 182

Next

Return to The Lion King II: Simba's Pride